ID your fish here

Page  <1 15161718>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 12:01pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yes, they are slimy mackerel, sometimes called blue mackerel or, confusingly, sometimes called slimy mackerel when they are small and blue mackerel when they are big. They are all the same fish, same species, and the shape of the big adults is as you described. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BFIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 12:15pm
BFIST View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

http://www.unitedfisheries.co.nz/content/blue-mackerel-scomber-australasicus

They are pretty common at this time of the year. They go by a few names, blue mackerel, Spanish mackerel, slimy mackerel, English mackerel.

They are powerful fish, they fight like a little tuna when they get big.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 12:38pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Got this guy a while ago off the Manukau Coast, and thought it was a blue mac, until i saw the above link.
Sorry i missed out the tail, but hopefully someone can ID it? Never seen one like this in my short life time fishing.
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 12:42pm
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

the above fish is either a jack mack (most likely) or a horse mack
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Xtoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 4:08pm
Xtoad View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Anyone know if this is a convict grouper?

Stu

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 9:14pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yes it is.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 9:25pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 5:54am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

No its not:

It used to be called Epinephelus octofasciatus. Its correct scientific name is now Hyporthodus octofasciatus. 

It also used to be confused with Epinephelus septemfasciatus, a species from Japan that is now called Hyporthodus septemfasciatus.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 3:25pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 6:34pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Fishman, CrayZfish posted a pic of a big mackerel caught a few weeks ago. They turn up occasionally out west and I saw 2 in the weekend that were 50cm plus. Rather slender compared to a Jack mack but much bigger.Well as far as I'm concerned they are Big smile. They are  little more blue when fresh. Can you give your thoughts?
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 8:49pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yeah Smudge, that pic of the jack mack is not the best. Pretty hard to tell anything from it. The three jack mackerel species we have in New Zealand are hard to tell apart at the best of times. There is no quick anatomical feature you can point to that differentiates one species from the other.

However, that looks like a Chiliean jack mackerel (Trachurus murphyi) to me. They tend to be long and fairly slender with a silver body colour and a tail that is not yellow, but without the specimen in hand it is hard to say definitively.

Groupers are much easier Smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 6:08am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice, thanks for that FishMan. I suspected the two I saw were Chilean Jack mackerelsimly because of the size.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 2:45am
Hookedline&sinker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

My youngest caught this fish yesterday in Rangiputa. Is it a wtasse?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 6:19am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

It's a hiwihiwi or kelp fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 6:20am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Kelpfish or hiwihiwi (Chironemus marmoratus). Commonly found in wave washed rock cracks close to shore. An absolute expert at swallowing hooks. I won't describe some of the other names it is called
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 8:19am
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by FishMan FishMan wrote:

I won't describe some of the other names it is called
I already know them
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 6:29am
Silver
Silver

Thanks guys. one opinion is they are bad eating as bony. Can you confirm? Also is their any reason Maori don't want to touch them (aside from the spines)? ie legend or myth?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 9:49am
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Have heard its ok eating, heaps of bones in them so to some not worth the fuss mucking around with boney fish

The locals I spoke with at the "bluff" on 90mile beach said they boiled them up
food is just food to some people

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 9:57am
Silver
Silver

Cheers Bananaboat
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote amarinefishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 7:47pm
amarinefishing View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

OH Lethal's is the biggest one.
Page  <1 15161718>