ID your fish here

Page  <1 1415161718>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote herby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 7:46am
herby View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dammit, had a bit thing typed out but somehow deleted it.
I'll summarise.
Common names often cause confusion, red rock cod is the common name sometimes used for..... a scorpion fish.
It is not, however, a cod. Blue cod aren't even cod.
What steps has is a type of scorpion fish (they all look relatively similar) and a plain old goatie.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 8:16am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bit of digging  come up with this
http://www.fishguide.co.nz/index_english.html

go down to the 3rd group one finds the scorpion species group
 and this link below is exactly the same as my fish above

http://www.fishguide.co.nz/fishguide/saltwater/saltwater_webpage/untitled/Fusakasago_ka/RedRockCod.htm

And as one goes down the list and the lists on so many other reference sites and skim thru books in the bookshop one also finds  common names so often dont refer back to the latin names or species just as Smudge describes above...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 10:26pm
matto1234 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Scorpion fish change their coloration to suit their surroundings hence why you might not have seen the brown pattern before, i kept one in a fishtank for several months. Definitely a scorpion and a goat (fish)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 6:55pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Can someone pleas Id this little critter. Caught in 260m outside the Poor Knights on Saturday. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 7:35pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by krow krow wrote:

Can someone pleas Id this little critter. Caught in 260m outside the Poor Knights on Saturday. 

Magpie cucumber fish, I sent 2 examples to te papa national fish collection and butterfly filleted a 3rd  for a swordie bait
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 10:05pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

HugAwesome thanks. 
It's frozen just in case someone wants it. I'll contact Te Papa and see. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 9:53pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well well there you go...................

"Hello Doug,

Thank you for your e-mail & picture: Yes please we’d love to get this specimen for the National Collection. Where are you? That will dictate how we get the specimen down to us.

Best wishes"

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 10:28pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Awesome, cool looking fishy
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingfishers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 2:52pm
kingfishers View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I got a name in mind, but want to get the experts opinion. So what fish (exact speciece) is it?
"My mind has gone fishing, ask all questions tomorrow"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 4:00pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mackerel mackerelii? Looks like part of the mack family though. I don't know.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wayno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 5:24pm
wayno View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Selar crumenophthalmus? Bigeye Scad

To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 6:26pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by kingfishers kingfishers wrote:

I got a name in mind, but want to get the experts opinion. So what fish (exact speciece) is it?

And where was it caught?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 6:46pm
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Greenback horse mackerel

Trachurus declivis
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 6:54am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Decapterus muroadsi - amberstriped scad. Found in small numbers around northeast NZ. Nowhere near as common as koheru but it is there and often not noticed. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingfishers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 7:14am
kingfishers View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Caught around mayor Island.
"My mind has gone fishing, ask all questions tomorrow"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 8:54am
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

looks very much like a Deliciousi to Kingfishi

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Govtgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 10:46am
Govtgirl View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Loved the pics. Very helpful for a newbie. The variety of fish available in your parts is truly amazing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rodholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 10:26am
rodholder View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi, caught this fish at Pudney rock last Wednesday. It was very slimey, took it home and filleted it up.
It's flesh was very nice white firm fillets,and tasted great!
But wouldn't have a clue what it was
Can you help?
Many thanks
Nigel
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 11:44am
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 11:57am
The cook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Didn't take a photo which I now regret.
Out in 100m+ the other day & caught a heap of what we thought were blue/slimy mackerel.
Thing is they were huge, up to 50cm & 3kg. Never seen a slimy even close to that size.
The other difference is the shape, a fatter more tuna like shape.
Markings seemed to be more or less the same as slimy.
Any ideas?
Guy I was talking to said Spanish mackerel but a look on line & they didn't seem to fit the bill
Page  <1 1415161718>