ID your fish here

Page  <12345 18>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote herby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 4:29pm
herby View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bastar d red cod, red cod, and rock cod are all different, they look very similar though and are often confused.
I don't think that the splendid is an allporti CA, I'd call it an australis.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BigHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 1:42am
BigHead View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah, it had two whisker things around the chin area..

Bast@rd red cods? Sounds like they aren't too popular around here...?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 5:59pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Well it's like this there are red cod & there are bstard red cod, two different fish although they look similar.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 9:02pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ha! Herby, I looked at it and said "oo! Dat's pretty! Wot is it?", then I looked it up in the book, and the closest I could see was the Southern Splendid Perch. It could very well be the other, I shall bow to the judges on this one :-) We got several actually, let's see if I can load up the otehr shots....

...and then a few mins later, this one....

I had the differences being down to the male and female of the same species. The first was very differently coloured than the second (Obviously) but what you cannot see at all in eitehr pic is the irridescent kinda ultra-violet colour of the fins. They look just plain pink in these shots, but in the water, or when really wet, they had this amazing fluro-blue colour in all the fins.
. you just get a hint of that colour in this pic.
Having just googled the hell outa the pics I could find on the net, I would say none really match, and- or- my pic is better than anything used in any of the reference shots I have seen on-line.
The fish i.d. book I had was one of NZ fishes, and it was a painted one, and the Sthn splendid was pretty much bang on the money for it. However, I'm happy to have it proved otherwise! :-)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GODZILLA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2011 at 8:22pm
GODZILLA View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I dont have a picture of the fish, but what i once thought was a yellowtail kingi and now know was a yellow fin tuna was swimming right at my feet at paratutai island at the manukau harbor entrance, i just want to know is this a rear occurrence or not and doz anyone know of anybody landing one off the rocks

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mullins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2011 at 8:52pm
Mullins View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Rare enough that it was very, very likely to be a kingy. What were the features that led you to ID it as a tuna?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GODZILLA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 7:17pm
GODZILLA View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

yellow triangles down the back with longer yellow fin on the top easily over a meter long. my uncles friend thinks it might have been a skip jack, but at over a meter long i don't think so??? i got a really good look at it,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote family affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 8:39pm
family affair View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

holly **** why diddnt you try catch it man
mv maui
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GODZILLA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2011 at 10:48am
GODZILLA View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

on my heavy gear i slipped my line into the water it came right up to it sniffed it and turned around, next minute it took a white and green flasher rig i left out to catch a live bait, it was in no way up to the task the speed the line was coming off the drag already had the rod bent past any usefulness  so i held it straight and put my hand on the reel to try stopping it.. no chance but got a little burn for the effort. the longer yellow fin was also a deep purple to black  depending on how the light was directed on it.   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lambordinghi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 4:43pm
lambordinghi View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I think that you should take a camera with you on your fishing adventures to show us what we are missing out on Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reefy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 4:21pm
reefy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Awesome postings Thumbs Up  so many different buggers swimming around!

I just searched the fish.govt.nz site but cant see an ID pamphlet with pictures and bag restrictions.  Is there such a thing available?  Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 11:24pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Magpie Cucumber fish, two of which are now resident in the national fish collection. The eyes give their deep habitat away.

"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 11:37pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yellow Fin Tunalet
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 11:41pm
Titanium
Titanium

Was that just recent Titahi? Here??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 12:19am
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Lord Howe Island Stu, April 2011.
In saying that a mate delivered a yacht from Oz, arriving opua 2 weeks ago. They snagged a YFT 80 k off 90 mile beach, reckon it tasted delicious
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 9:40am
Titanium
Titanium

They sure it was a yft, not a large albie? I hope it would be a 'fin, be nice to have some of those survive long enough to reach our shores again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 5:45pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

One of em owns B.O.I Marine centre, think they have caught a couple over the years.....???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote indigo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 8:54pm
indigo1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Was walking along tamaki drive tonight and between st heliers and kohi there were hundreds of fish jumping out of the water. They were spread out over ~500m and a dark color, they weren't that big, some between 15 and 40cm. Some of them were getting a lot of air
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 10:12pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

could be Mullet,
like not your "yellow eye sprat" the real Mullet you buy for bait/eat...
seen a lot up here lately in the shallows jumping easy 35/40cm...

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 10:15pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Originally posted by Capt Asparagus Capt Asparagus wrote:

They sure it was a yft, not a large albie? I hope it would be a 'fin, be nice to have some of those survive long enough to reach our shores again.

been awhile but i managed one that size many years ago that Rick Pollock called a Y/F...
pulled out of a school of alberts with a jig....
dont see em that small down here very often....

here i even found the pic he took, LOL
EVEN STILL USE THAT ROD...

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Page  <12345 18>