Rod building tips and questions

Page  <1 45678 20>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cal25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 8:40pm
cal25 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Red Hunter Red Hunter wrote:

Very nice work , a lot of different skills there , and I agree with you on CTS blanks , they are as good as any you will get from the USA , I am using a lot of them now , I love them .

I got there price list sent to me....certainly not cheap
Hard work beats talent, if talent doesnt work hard
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 7:34am
Red Hunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

cal25 , correct me if I am wrong , but if you had to bring one in from the US , with the cross rate and frieght would it not be dearer in NZ $ terms ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gtrbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 11:00am
gtrbaby View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

not really - I generally use US blanks ...they run about $150 US - shipping per blank is $13US - so end up being pretty cheap.

I approached CTS about 5 years ago about blanks - they said I'd need to place  an indent order of over $2000 to be able to buy from them - has this changed???  I would like to see what they are up to know days.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 11:21am
Silver
Silver

If you buy 5 blanks you get a 20 % dicount , but they have to be of the same model ,  my last order was for 10 blanks , so I am unsure about single blanks ,  if you talk to them I think you will find things might have changed ? .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 5:24pm
Tomatron View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

price list aint cheap at all. seems 200bux is cheap as far as they go. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 6:42pm
Silver
Silver

out of interest , what do you guys pay for top blanks landed in NZ , I know the problem with Synit , but what about JM , Blackhole , Phenix , USA Graphite , Race point  , ect ? it seems to be the main problem for you guys the cost of blanks , by the way if you deal with Mudhole they can get any of the Phenix blanks that are made , just because they are not listed doe's not mean they can't get them , and Phenix are coming out with a new range of blanks in jigging and popping that are getting very high reviews ,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 9:19am
Tomatron View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got the lbg done. Pretty happy with it. Only lame thing is the bubbles, but as far as I know this is only cosmetic (?) so I am not too worried about it. Pretty happy with my first completed rod never the less! Will be putting another coat of finish on it tomorrow.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 10:16am
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got any photos of the bubbles you're worried about? Usually they develop just after applying the epoxy, and can be removed by running a hair dryer over it as the rod is turning.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gtrbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 12:39pm
gtrbaby View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

looks good  -  I hate the bubbles that appear after you put the finish on - but as Bigfishbob said - hit it with some heat as it is turning - it will bring the bubbles to the top and pop em.  I use a butane torch with a flame spreader -  put one hand behind the blank and take the flame back far enough so you can feel the heat but so it doesnt burn you (or the blank) and have at it. 

I don use a hair drier as if you have any dust in the air it will pull it through and blow it onto the epoxy - with the butane torch - any dust particles get burnt up before they get to the blank.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 3:06pm
Tomatron View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

the pics arnt that great but that cloe up of the guide you can see them around the guide base. pics dont bring them up that well... butune sounds a good way, was trying to raid a hair dryer but couldn't find one!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 3:48pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thinning the epoxy down will get rid of the bubbles -  you may have to give it an extra few coats but the results are worth it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 4:26pm
Silver
Silver

That has turned out great , you are on your way now , with the bubbles I have found 1 of 2 things , make sure you have no bubbles to start off with , and 9 times out of 10 a little heat will get rid off them , but be carefull with a open flame not to much .

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gtrbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 5:15pm
gtrbaby View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

That has turned out great , you are on your way now , with the bubbles I have found 1 of 2 things , make sure you have no bubbles to start off with , and 9 times out of 10 a little heat will get rid off them , but be carefull with a open flame not to much .

yep - just enough to get your hand warm.......too much and you turn the epoxy too thin.....aske me how I know.  HA

Also - colour presever before epoxy (even on NCP) tends to stop the bubbles created by the epoxy seeping into the threads......

heaps of tricks - just do what works for you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ReelAppealLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 5:53pm
ReelAppealLures View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by gtrbaby gtrbaby wrote:

yep - just enough to get your hand warm.......too much and you turn the epoxy too thin.....aske me how I know.  HA

Also - colour presever before epoxy (even on NCP) tends to stop the bubbles created by the epoxy seeping into the threads......

heaps of tricks - just do what works for you.

Cool to see the rod building thread gaining momentum! Thumbs Up

I have yet to build my first rod but I do have some experience with epoxy...

What you need to do is break the surface tension of the epoxy so the bubbles can be released. Carbon Dioxide is the best at breaking the tension i.e. your breath or from a Propane torch.

I used to use a hair dryer with mixed results, the heat only thins the epoxy it does not break the tension, since switching to a Propane torch people have asked if I had changed epoxy because of the difference in finish, you can get the epoxy like glass.

Here is what I use -

I use the soldering tip but remove the screw in piece, the gauze in the tip will stop the flame shooting out and you don't have to huff & puff and get dizzy.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Reel-Appeal-Lures/300309486704362
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stormbringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 8:05pm
Stormbringer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got my new blank today 60-100gm, now just deciding what parts I want lol

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cal25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 1:01pm
cal25 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Tomatron Tomatron wrote:

Got the lbg done. Pretty happy with it. Only lame thing is the bubbles, but as far as I know this is only cosmetic (?) so I am not too worried about it. Pretty happy with my first completed rod never the less! Will be putting another coat of finish on it tomorrow.

Looks good Tom, well done
Hard work beats talent, if talent doesnt work hard
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 9:23pm
Stefan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I'm ordering a blank from CTS a Seamaster MC spinjig 5'6" 50-80lb 180-330g for overhead jigging. Can anyone tell me if these guides are appropriate?
ATC Virtus Heavy Guide - Titanium / Nanolite 
Size 20, 16, 12, 10 ,8, 8
with a top as 
Fuji Titanium Concept SiC Tops
size 8 (9) 3.6mm tube

I was going to build a soft bait rod first but ordering components for two rods i'm not gonna be 
able to get past the better half.....

Also the butt size of the blank is 12.5mm what size graphite reel seat do I go for? I just can't find any sizing guides
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skipjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 10:42pm
Skipjack View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Would add another guide if it was me, get the fuji palming seat mud hole has them in a 20 ( 20mm ID). you will have pack out with masking tape to get a snug fit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 8:19am
Silver
Silver

I agree , 0ne more guide , but 20,16,12,10,10,10,10, is how I do it , the size 10 allows for you knot size on the leader so you are not rattling the knot on the guides , and remember do a static test that will tell where the guides want to go . and size 20 reel seat .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gtrbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 8:51am
gtrbaby View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I agree , 0ne more guide , but 20,16,12,10,10,10,10, is how I do it , the size 10 allows for you knot size on the leader so you are not rattling the knot on the guides , and remember do a static test that will tell where the guides want to go . and size 20 reel seat .

I agree with RedHunter - but also go with a bigger tip for the same reason - 10mm would sweet.

Page  <1 45678 20>