Rod building tips and questions

Page  <1 34567 20>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 8:36am
Red Hunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Tomatron you are well on your way now , very good , and Badfish I agree , if any of this helps to have more guys building then that is great , in Auss there are not to many guys building ever , it would be good to see some guys posting no matter there skill level , I know how hard it was for me to learn , as I am miles away from any where , all I can say to any one out there wanting to give it a go DO IT , we will be here to advice , do not be afraid to ask for help . and if I can help with components just ask .

Ian
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 6:57pm
smizz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

i am about to start building a wrapper and have an old cassette motor and because of the gearing it geared down to about 18rpm in the old play mode.. is that ok for drying or is it to fast? 
When shooting a mime, don't use a silencer or his friends will hear you.
If camera lenses are round why do the pictures come out rectangle?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 7:11pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Anything from 6rpm - 32rpm is fine. My dryer motor is only 6rpm but I think 18rpm would be perfect.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skipjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 9:48pm
Skipjack View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

It's good to apply two pot with a higher rpm motor (on large diameter blanks even more so) then on to a slower to dry (i think it levels out better).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 1:30pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think I should somewhat retract what I wrote in my last post about Mudhole being cheap at the moment. I just got my order confirmation for my $74.65USD order and the shipping cost is $41.92USD! Ouch! That is the first time I've had a shipping charge of quite that much on such a small order but be warned they do creap up.
Also be warned that on international freight you don't actually find out what the shipping cost is until after you've placed the order.
I'd expect shipping to be up there on blanks but this is just a bunch of thread and trim parts. My last similar sized order of $67.63USD had shipping of $16.55USD...
But as stated before, until the demand grows this is what we're lumped with.
Might have to stick with Kilwell from my trim parts from now on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 3:12pm
Tomatron View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That sounds madness! I just ordered a similar bunch of stuff, trims, threads and even 8oz of glue and finish and that stil onlty came to $17USD for shipping, and all up shipping inc it cost me $105NZ. Very well priced I think, considering you would be paying about $80NZ for the glue and finish alone if I was to buy here in NZ. 

If you can get it sent to somewhere close to a city like Auckland then it is cheaper. They wanted $65 to send another bunch of stuff to Warkworth, but for the same stuff to Birkenhead only wanted $35. 

I have some stuff to order soon so if anyone is keen let me know if they want to share shipping, just smaller stuff like guides and threads ect. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 3:33pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Be aware of the different types of shipping

UPS First class mail  = cheapest but no insurance or tracking(this is all you need for your supplies IMO)
Global Priority = 6-10days, good service with insurance
Express = top of the line 2-3days insured and tracked and VERY costly( good for very expensive items)
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote M@CC@ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 4:35pm
M@CC@ View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Bad Fish did you use a different type of shipping this time?, I emailed them last week and they said postage would be about $50 U.S. but they didn't say which type of shipping this was.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 8:21am
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There was no other option for shipping, option 5. International shipping was all that's offered and all I've ever used.
I'm gonna give them a ring today, I've been back through all of my sales orders and other than when I bought my power wrapper which cost $137usd to ship, I've not paid more than $17 to ship any amount of stuff. Worse still some of the stuff is on back order too!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 12:28pm
Tomatron View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ouch that SUCKS
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote M@CC@ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 2:09pm
M@CC@ View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Keep us updated 'Badfish', what stuff did they put on backorder?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 2:49pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yea will do, I've emailed them but as I said I'll follow that up calling them tomorrow morning cause it's 10pm there now.
The back order stuff is a couple 650yard spools of D thread in (don't laugh) Neon Yellow, Neon Pink and  2300yard of D in Regal Blue and 4800yard spools in A of the same colour and that stuff I want so I can get started on a game rod for a customer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 5:46pm
Tomatron View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

just got my stuff in the post today. very happy!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gtrbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 1:26pm
gtrbaby View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi folks - cool to see other people building rods - I have built about 50 or so in hte last few years - nostly for friends etc - all types form light tackle spin to stand up game - even done a few fly rods which have turned out pretty sweet.
once I figure out the picture upload - I will post some pics.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gtrbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 1:30pm
gtrbaby View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Xtoad Xtoad wrote:

Blankwise I am a huge CTS fan. They will make you anything if it is not already in the catalogue. Their fly rod and inshore rod blanks are the lightest you will find. Incredible operation with a huge following in Europe and US..
Chris W can get you JM products, if you know the Synit team they seem to supply blanks to friends but not others.
While Greg at Gofish has less blanks available these days he has most other things. He always seems to have jig blanks and is a great guy to get advice from.
You can also buy retail from RA Conaghan in the city for all fuji products, flexcoat, gudebrod and some tools.
Haven't used Rodworks in Tga but I know the guys at Reel Rods up north  will supply retail as well.
Ross at The Rodworks in Aust is great and offers a real personalised service. Aussie dollar cross not good for buying there at the mo.
Acidrod in US has similar service.
Mudhole cover almost everything but they will piss you off at some stage.

There is always value in combining orders to the US so if anyone is keen....

also Shofftackle.com are pretty good - cheaper FUJI guides than Mudhole - and they sell them as sets too - saves dicking around selecting all the sizes.  Skip is pretty good to deal with - altough he is more a a fly fishing guy.... 
Stu
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gtrbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 1:35pm
gtrbaby View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

4-6kg Softbait rod - Acid wrap  butt wrap with hook keeper
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gtrbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 1:37pm
gtrbaby View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

5weigtht 4 piece fly rod - custom made the window seat - painted the blank and colour matched thead - turned out pretty good

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gtrbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 1:38pm
gtrbaby View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Some cork Inlay work I do.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gtrbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 1:39pm
gtrbaby View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Tiger wrap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 5:45pm
Red Hunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Very nice work , a lot of different skills there , and I agree with you on CTS blanks , they are as good as any you will get from the USA , I am using a lot of them now , I love them .
Page  <1 34567 20>