Rod building tips and questions

Page  <1 23456 20>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Zambezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 9:17pm
Zambezi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What are the pacific bay guides and bits like?
A man’s comfort in life can be measured by the quality of the toilet paper he uses to wipe his arse.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote M@CC@ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 9:27pm
M@CC@ View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Clap, that is stunning Red Hunter,
A quick qustion for any one who may have some of the ProWrap Metallic thread, has anyone ordered the blue steel or steel Grey?

I'm looking for a colour thread to match the Stella FE or new Certate any ideas???

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 9:39pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cluster, I used just a plain black thread for the guide wraps  trimmed with silver and gold - I have the new Certate 2500R and it suits it well IMO.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote M@CC@ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 9:45pm
M@CC@ View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cheers Mark,  the Blank is Jet Black, the reel seat and grips are also all black(not that it is an issue) was just wondering if there was a thread that was close to the two reels (as this may help me decide between the two), I will be going very simlar to you if nothing matches,

Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 9:58pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The pics of the New Certate are a little decieving, the body of the reel is a lot darker than what the pics suggest ( more black than blue). I'd definately go for a very deep dark blue or black thread if you go for the Certate.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 10:01pm
Red Hunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cluster , PM me your address , I will post you a spool of pro wrap Silver Back 9840 , if you want it is the closed you will get to the stella in Pro wrap Metallic thread .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 10:08pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Zambizi Zambizi wrote:

Cheap .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote M@CC@ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 10:50pm
M@CC@ View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cheers Red Hunter, PM sent, Re a deep dark blue to match certate, I'm guessing not a metallic, lookingWacko
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 11:02pm
Stefan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

thanks for the advice badfish 
redhunter that looks mint!
I have one more question.....
Am looking at building a 7ft soft bait rod to start with. Been looking at guides on mudhole, how corrosion resistant are TiChrome 316 SS frames? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 12:48am
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Stefan Stefan wrote:

thanks for the advice badfish 
redhunter that looks mint!
I have one more question.....
Am looking at building a 7ft soft bait rod to start with. Been looking at guides on mudhole, how corrosion resistant are TiChrome 316 SS frames? 

spend the extra $$ and get silicoln carbide guides,glvsg light spin in titanium but use a double foot for the stripper guide... ive got them on 2 rods and have lasted very well.in my experience anything guide with chrome will not last.

2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 6:22pm
Tomatron View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Finished my DIY rod wrapper today. bit of a copy off an off-the-shelf product but only cost me $17 and a bit of gluing and dowel to complete.

Works mint!

Thread it gudebrod, colour is fucia. Is quite a bright metallic but It will be toned down a bit by the time I put the black guide over-binds and I will jimmy up something for the butt end thread, thinking a black and gold spiral wrap or something. I have some red and gold twist on the way that I will be using as some thread bands to finish off each bind. Should go nicely with the red blank finish.

Pretty happy with the way it's going so far, not the best I know but it is my second attempt... 

Will have fuji alconites in spin.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ReelAppealLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 7:02pm
ReelAppealLures View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nothing wrong with that Thumbs Up Keep us posted on the build! 

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Reel-Appeal-Lures/300309486704362
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 9:44pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Zambizi Zambizi wrote:

Pacific Bay pretty much copies everything and anything. Having said that their guides are okay have used them on a few rods myself.  Leave their reel seats alone though, whatever you don't like about fuji and Aftco reel seats seem to be magnified by Pac Bay. 
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 6:30am
Silver
Silver

Tomatrom , you are on your way now , looking real good mate .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 5:11pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Red Hunter Red Hunter wrote:

Here are some photos of a full metallic underbind , the thread is Sulky silver metallic in copper , silver  and black , being a flat thread it lays down very well  with the right  tension and speed you will get no gaps , but, and there is a but , it takes abit of getting used to but the results are great .
Mate that looks great, I love that gold. I've used a few colours of the sulky but not the gold.
Your right bout it taking time to get use to it! My thread tensioner use to bind up on it and snap it every metre or so. Thats about the closest Ive ever been to a serious melt down while rod building

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 6:43pm
Silver
Silver

Bad fish the reason it will snap is to much tension , and that is the copper not the gold , the gold is in the other 2 rods I posted , a little bit of trial and error and you will get it , it is worth while .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 9:25pm
Stefan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks of2fish hard to find titanium guides in different finishes but you're right will spend the extra $'s. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 11:26pm
Tomatron View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Finished off the cosmetics today. A thin layer of finish tomorrow so the metallic won't make creaking noises.

Guide under binds are basic with gold trim bands on either side and in the middle (try keep it simple this time round...)

Had a bit of a stab in the dark at some twist-****. Came out OK, but I learnt a few simple lessons. Next one will be bigger and better. Candy apple and gold.

Sorry to plauge the forum, but just trying to get some more people interested in buiding their own rods.

I went down to kilwell factory today. Super worth while!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 7:44am
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

good stuff guys i am gona start working on butt wraps again soon not building rods though gona stick too the weaving for a while 
then i might get back in to the swing of things hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
p.s i get a much better finish with my hand wrapper than a power wrapper 
http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 8:21am
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yea I got it sussed now days Red Hunter. I don't even use the carrige and thread tensioner set up any more. I use bobbins and let the hanging weight of the spools/bobbing to set the tension. I like it because the spools aren't locked through any sort of guide so it allows me to do any inlay or detail I like, like twisted/braided inlays or even just back the whole spool back over so I can carry the thread under a detail if needed.

The more people that get into rod building the better! Hopefully that'll get the distributors to bring more gear in!!!! Mind you with the exchange rate at the moment Mudhole really does work out pretty good.
Page  <1 23456 20>