Rod building tips and questions

Page  <1234 20>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 7:46pm
Red Hunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Here guys , this is a photo of all the stuff you need to wrap a rod , see it is not a lot ,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Xtoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 11:19am
Xtoad View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Where's the 13 empty beer cans?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 12:35pm
Silver
Silver

Nar only need 4 Tongue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 9:14pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I must admit i am quite keen to make a couple of rods ... BUT know next to nothing in regards to blanks etc....  what should i be looking for ??  i am looking at making a 5'6" or 6' rod to use off my kayak ... need to be in the grunty end of the stick and would like a couple of different line weights ... probably 1 in the 10-15kg range and another at the 24kg end
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 9:38am
Silver
Silver

What do you aim to fish for , and what type of reels .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 10:34am
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

looking at a general purpose rod with probably a shimano TLD15 or similar and a heavier rod for kings and puka and probably a shimano tld 25 or similar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 6:59am
Silver
Silver

I have been using a blank by Spinal , there series 2 Tuna range of blanks , very good blanks for the price , www.spinalrods.com  not as parabolic as there series 1 , shuts off about a 3rd of the way down from the tip , CTS in Auckland also have some very nice ones as are the Jigging Master blanks , all depends on your budget . also have a look at www.360tuna.com you will see a lot of diffrent blanks in use in the rod buiding threads . very helpful and lots of pictures ,

Ian
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 7:20am
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

www.mudhole.com
www.acidrod.com
www.bloodydecks.com
it is a very fun thing to do and will give u the up most recpect for why custom rods arnt cheap and worth every dolla u pay
the set up is very expensive if u want all the goodies or do what i did and make some rollers out of 2x bits of wood with caster wheels on it the get anuther bit or wood and cut on a 75 degree angle and glue a bobbin on there and wabang your into it ill find a pic of my first set up i still have it some ware
http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 11:38am
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

For those that may not have seen it, this is also a good thread - http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/rod-building-the-good-oil-please_topic41736_page1.html
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 11:31am
Stefan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I've been keen on getting into rod building for awhile now but haven't had the time/ outlay to get started.
Boulder it would be great to get a seperate forum for this!
Where are you guys getting your power wrappers from? Have a old sewing machine and microwave motor but my Kiwi DIY skills are just not playing the game...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 12:04pm
Tomatron View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey guys, just spotted this forum, right up my alley this! I used to work with Kojak and I used to pick his brains on ideas, since he was the MAN. Recently I have put my A into G and got some blanks sorted. My first attempt was to reguide a Kilwell rocky 2 jellytip from OH to spin with some better guides. I got my hands on some fuji hardloys and basically went hell for leather, and I soon learnt that rod building is a total be-yartch.

But never the less I managed to complete the goal. A bit rough I know , I know, but hey it was my first attempt with 100% follow-your-nose sort of approach. It wasn't till later that I found out how the back bone within a blank works hahaha. But the jellytips were designed to work both ways so thats all good.

Was happy with that to kick off the building bug.

Now I have 5 kilwell blanks to build in order of to-be-built:

1) ZWS85XJ - Kilwell Livefibre Texalium 1 pce 8'6. It is a 15-24kg rod but I plan to mod it down to about 7'8 to make it more of a 24kg rod suiltible for LBG kingies. It is in go-fish atm having grip and seat put in and I will finish it with the wraps and guides, which will be a basic style fuji hardloy heavy duty boat guide. Cost me $80

2) ZWS70MJ -Kilwell livefibre blank 7' with the red paint (same as kilwell built livefibres). It is usually rated at about 6-8kg or so. I plan to do the complete build now that the guy at go fish has told me how to fit up the seats and grips ect. It will have fuji BMNAG alconites on it. Cost me $54

3)ZWS70LJ - Kilwell livefibre blank 7'. Exactly the same as above but has a line class of about 10kg. Again will have fuji BMNAG alconites. $54

4) LTEX860 - Kilwell tex limetip 2pce 8'6. It's the old lime tip rocky blank that they used to build. Will have CMNAG (chrome) fuji alconites, 10-15kg class. $70 - I think it was the last one though???

5) I will not be building this blank as I ordered the wrong one. It is a kilwell ZXS70MJ. texalium livefibre. It is built for wilsons in auz who rate it a 10kg rod,  but I would rate the thing as a 15-24kg heavy/fast action. I am going to send it back but if anyone wants it they can have it for $70 as this is what it cost me.

Kilwell are great to deal with so anyone wanting to buy blanks NZ made and good quality look them up on the web and ask to speak to Neville. They have hundreds of blanks for all kinds of rods. Can't go wrong as they all come with a warranty, that is until you start cutting them down in any way.

So I will post pics on how its going.

I have some questions for now though. What sort of glue is used to glue up the grips and reel seats???

And I have heard that to get the reel seat to fit snug you just pack out the blank with masking tape? Is this good practice or is there other methods?

Cheers guys, I think this forum has potential to do well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 5:50pm
Tomatron View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

OK so I chose the sacraficail lamb and went with the 8kg livefibre to try my hand at putting a grip and reel seat on after following this link :

See mudholes' other vids for other great tips!

Ho-ley-shi-t-balls. If I had one piece of advise it would be to heat the glue up first and use heaps of it. I almost shi-t my self trying to push it down the blank, FRICK! Got blisters all on my hands. The plan was to do 2 blanks in a row but after that I think that I'll build them 1 at a time. But she came out mint as a mofo, pretty stoked with my effort to be honest because after about 30seconds of heaving and pushing I had a mid-crisis panic attack and almost cut the grip back off because I thought she wasn't ganna go. But it did. Perseverance is the key! No major dramas with the reel seat - perfect fit. Then the front grip (which I thought was going to be a bit easier) required just as much effort but also came out OK. Packed out the gimble and hey presto, shes all good to go for some thread work and guide fitting.

I ordered a hole bunch of treads, some glue, some finish, colour preserver and other tools off mudhole last night - great selection on gear they have. I managed to get a good deal on the guides through a fairy locally so they will hopfully all be here by end of next week. 

Before I bust on in to fitting up another rod I'll complete this one, test it out and see where I can improve on next time, rather than make 2-3 then realise that I have done something wrong.

I'll post pics when I finish the 8kg livefibre. Will be set up for stray lining.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 5:51pm
Tomatron View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

OK so I chose the sacrificial lamb and went with the 8kg livefibre to try my hand at putting a grip and reel seat on after following this link :

See mudholes' other vids for other great tips!

Ho-ley-shi-t-balls. If I had one piece of advise it would be to heat the glue up first and use heaps of it. I almost shi-t my self trying to push it down the blank, FRICK! Got blisters all on my hands. The plan was to do 2 blanks in a row but after that I think that I'll build them 1 at a time. But she came out mint as a mofo, pretty stoked with my effort to be honest because after about 30seconds of heaving and pushing I had a mid-crisis panic attack and almost cut the grip back off because I thought she wasn't ganna go. But it did. Perseverance is the key! No major dramas with the reel seat - perfect fit. Then the front grip (which I thought was going to be a bit easier) required just as much effort but also came out OK. Packed out the gimble and hey presto, shes all good to go for some thread work and guide fitting.

I ordered a hole bunch of treads, some glue, some finish, colour preserver and other tools off mudhole last night - great selection on gear they have. I managed to get a good deal on the guides through a fairy locally so they will hopfully all be here by end of next week. 

Before I bust on in to fitting up another rod I'll complete this one, test it out and see where I can improve on next time, rather than make 2-3 then realise that I have done something wrong.

I'll post pics when I finish the 8kg livefibre. Will be set up for stray lining.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 9:51pm
Tomatron View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Here's some pics. I ended up fitting up the grips on the 70MJ tonight as well. The suspense is killing me!

Can't wait to start wrapping em' up but it won't be for a while, will probably be end of next week untill I get the threads and stuff from USA.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 8:08am
Tinky View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

If you are going to start out and not sure how many rods you are going to end up making, it does not make sense to lay out big money in expensive wrapping machines etc. You can easily make a manual model and if the bug bites, then layout the cash for the real McCoy later.
This is what I did to make my first rod.

I attached a sewing machines thread tensioner to the front to help maintane thread tension when binding, and it works OK. As you can see it is very easy to construct, you dont need to be a rocket scientist!Smile
I took the rod to Greg (GoFish) and he put the epoxy on and put it on his machine to ensure a good even finish. As I bought most of the stuff from him, he did it for no charge.
If anybody is in Auckland, you are more than welcome to borrow this from me. PM me if interested.
Have boat - must fish!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 8:53am
Silver
Silver

Here is a tip for you , smear glue on the inside if the gips too , then you will find it a lot easy to slide them down , also have plenty of acetone handy to wipe the glue off the blank ,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 10:57am
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Red Hunter Red Hunter wrote:

Here is a tip for you , smear glue on the inside if the gips too , then you will find it a lot easy to slide them down , also have plenty of acetone handy to wipe the glue off the blank ,

Yeah smear Glue in in the inside of grips by using a butter knife blade, load it with a good gob of glue  and repeatedly wipe it across the end of the hole just keep putting as much as you can in there. Then get about a 8 mm wooden or metal rod and push it down through the inside of the grip to smear the glue around up and down the inside.

Then smear glue on the blank, from the point when the grip starts to bind on the blank.

Very messy but almost impossible to stuff it up when done this way. Over the years I have used by Ados and expoy for grips, haven't really found any difference between the two.  Put plenty of newspaper on your floor and push the grip down the blank. Have plenty of acetone handy for clean-up. Glue will build up on the leading edge of the grip, make sure your hands are clean, as once the glue gets on the absorbent surface of the grip , it's almost impossible to get it off, and will mark the grip when it dries.

As far as threads are concerned just use C or D grade. You'll never notice the difference once the epoxy is on there, and you won't drive yourself nuts trying to hand wrap A grade thread. The other thing with A grade thread is that with most rods except flyrods you need a bit of tension in the thread to hold the guide on, and A grade thread breaks very easily.

For tools the only things missing from the photo, is a burnishing tool, Flexcoat and Gudebrod  do them and they're good for tidying up & getting the gaps out of the bind once you've finished it. Bobins for holding the binding thread spools are also useful and you need some 10kg nylon for tying up pull-throughs for finishing off the binds.

You can use your fingers for thread tensioning, but make sure you keep them clean when using light colour threads and wipe them freuqently.

Use only NCP threads, then you don't need to use colour preserver. Colour preserver is a pain the A^%$$#@ becuase it goes white when the Rod gets wet after you've put epoxy over it
. Comes right when the Rod dries out but looks manky in the mean time.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 4:05pm
Silver
Silver

Just something to think about ,I have found Flexcoat to turn a yellow colour after a while looks like shxx , I have been using Bullards Diamond 2 finish with excelent results , and alot better to work with , as for CP Casons crystal clear works very well , does not turn white , I only use A thread , for single and double over binds , but you will find C is the best way to start with , and I also try to stick with NCP thread .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mrbig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 7:22pm
mrbig View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

yep most of them will go yellow over time, im now using prokote they reckon it stays clear the longest and great to work with.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mrbig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 7:30pm
mrbig View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

not sure if any one has all ready said but when wrapping never use A thread over D thread you should always have A  for your under wrap and then C and D for overwraps far neater and easier to do.
Page  <1234 20>