Rod building tips and questions

Page  123 20>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boulder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rod building tips and questions
    Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 4:36pm
Boulder View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Hi guys there has been a question raised about a forum for rod builders.
Initially we will run it as a pinned thread and if traffic warrents we will spin it out into a seperate forum.

So take it away rod builders
hints tip and questions
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dohboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 4:50pm
Dohboy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

About time Boulder, just as long a it does not turn into a spam fest like a couple of other forums i go onto, if builders use it to show off NEW things they are doing we will all learn something.
www.acewash.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 5:42pm
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Anyone on here run courses for beginner rod builders?

Specifically interested in building fly rods and gaffs.

Looking at things like:
* finding the spine of the rod
* pro techniques and what they do
etc

If someone could put something up, I'll look into it next time I'm over.

Cheers
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dohboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 6:43pm
Dohboy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Jaapie Jaapie wrote:

Looking at things like:
etc

Cheers

I have run these in the past and am about to do another on soon, if you are keen just give me a call i am in auckland 8174202
Dean
www.acewash.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote daveo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 7:13pm
daveo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

any one in wellington run anything like that?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Karlosnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 8:49pm
Karlosnz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Dohboy Dohboy wrote:

Originally posted by Jaapie Jaapie wrote:

Looking at things like:

etc

Cheers
I have run these in the past and am about to do another on soon, if you are keen just give me a call i am in auckland 8174202Dean

Sweet taking Mel looking for a reel tomorrow and have a drawing with colours etc from her
Spoke with Damo tonight and he's keen and will get hold of you re a blank
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dohboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 9:24pm
Dohboy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by karlosnz karlosnz wrote:

[QUOTE=Dohboy]

Sweet taking Mel looking for a reel tomorrow and have a drawing with colours etc from her
So how does it look Ouch

www.acewash.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Karlosnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 11:04pm
Karlosnz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Dohboy Dohboy wrote:

Originally posted by karlosnz karlosnz wrote:

[QUOTE=Dohboy]
.So how does it look Ouch

Yea ummm yea I don't think it will be a rod I use
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Xtoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 1:34pm
Xtoad View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hot off the wrapper...

250g JM Custom Jigger blank
Fuji palm seat and MNSGs spiral wrapped
Gold black and silver tiger  wrap

Sorry about pics, camera sucks.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ReelAppealLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 9:31pm
ReelAppealLures View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice stuff Xtoad Thumbs Up

So where are all the NZ rod builders getting their supplies from? 

GoFish, Mudhole, Rodworks etc... I am looking at giving it a bash but would prefer buying within NZ.

Might start with wrapping a Gaff so I don't ruin a blank Embarrassed
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Reel-Appeal-Lures/300309486704362
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 9:54am
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sam, Rodworks are local to me so I use them a lot. Mudhole are also good for those things that are harder to find locally and are good value atm with the high US dollar.
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ReelAppealLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 11:02am
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MarkE MarkE wrote:

Sam, Rodworks are local to me so I use them a lot. Mudhole are also good for those things that are harder to find locally and are good value atm with the high US dollar.

Thanks Mark, I was unaware you could buy supplies from Rodworks in Tauranga...

I was referring to http://www.therodworks.com.au/ so the more NZ suppliers I find the better Big smile

I have been scouring Mudhole lately, so much stuff I want/need LOL 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Xtoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 1:05pm
Xtoad View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Blankwise I am a huge CTS fan. They will make you anything if it is not already in the catalogue. Their fly rod and inshore rod blanks are the lightest you will find. Incredible operation with a huge following in Europe and US..
Chris W can get you JM products, if you know the Synit team they seem to supply blanks to friends but not others.
While Greg at Gofish has less blanks available these days he has most other things. He always seems to have jig blanks and is a great guy to get advice from.
You can also buy retail from RA Conaghan in the city for all fuji products, flexcoat, gudebrod and some tools.
Haven't used Rodworks in Tga but I know the guys at Reel Rods up north  will supply retail as well.
Ross at The Rodworks in Aust is great and offers a real personalised service. Aussie dollar cross not good for buying there at the mo.
Acidrod in US has similar service.
Mudhole cover almost everything but they will piss you off at some stage.

There is always value in combining orders to the US so if anyone is keen....

Stu
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Xtoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 1:10pm
Xtoad View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by ReelAppealLures ReelAppealLures wrote:

GoFish, Mudhole, Rodworks etc... I am looking at giving it a bash but would prefer buying within NZ.

Ta mate, there is little chance of you ruining a rod given your skills in the lure making department. It is all attention to detail and timing. I would suggest you go for it. You could get one of the Mudhole kits which come with everything you need and make a rod for a young fisho or the boss or something.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 1:18pm
Red Hunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

x 2 on CTS , you guys are lucy to have them on you door step , I have had a number of there blanks and are all great , I am getting a one off blank to my specs made up at the moment ,  I find them very helpfull , If any of you guys have trouble finding Alps product let me know I can help you out ,   and stu the snakes around here are to bloody big to use . and nice tiger .

Ian
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ReelAppealLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 6:22pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Xtoad Xtoad wrote:

Originally posted by ReelAppealLures ReelAppealLures wrote:

Ta mate, there is little chance of you ruining a rod given your skills in the lure making department. It is all attention to detail and timing. I would suggest you go for it. You could get one of the Mudhole kits which come with everything you need and make a rod for a young fisho or the boss or something.

Thanks, will wait until I have moved house, I have been promised my own lure finishing / rod building room... The kits seem like great value... I don't own a jigging rod so keen to build one.

Do you hand wrap or power wrap?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 2:45pm
Silver
Silver

Here guys , The rod in the photos is a CTS Sea Master pro jig , All Alps XN guides and Alps Tri 20 reel seat , I built it to match my Accurate 197 , The thread is Gudebrod  black A and the trim thread is Sulky Silver Metallic silver and blue . I use the rod for coral trout , it is a graet little fun rod , line class 10 to 15 kg ,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ReelAppealLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 11:39pm
Platinum
Platinum

Wow Ian, nice thread work! Nice and clean. Like how the thread matches the reel colours also. Great skills.

So with thread, A,B,C,D is referring to the thickness? I would guess thicker thread is easier to lay down when learning? A= thin? and going up from there?

If my guides stay on the blank when I build my first I will be happy with that! Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 6:05am
Silver
Silver

The 2 most common thread sizes used are A and C  , I use A , it takes a while to get used to , but in imo it makes for a neater wrap , as in the thread doe's not stand out as much , C is like rope compared to A .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ReelAppealLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 11:33am
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Red Hunter Red Hunter wrote:

The 2 most common thread sizes used are A and C  , I use A , it takes a while to get used to , but in imo it makes for a neater wrap , as in the thread doe's not stand out as much , C is like rope compared to A .

I will go to the optician then try some "A" thread LOL

Just acquired a power wrapper / dryer... Next up materials Wink

Now back to the lures to pay for it all Shocked Big smile
Page  123 20>