Rod building tips and questions

Page  <1 17181920>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Griffo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 9:33pm
Griffo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

^- yea, what he said. 4mm will be piece of piss. EVA grips will stretch by 50% no worries.

Check out this vid BA.

Also, the mudhole Youtube channel has heaps of good instructionals.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 10:39pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

ok guys great info thanks, much appreciated, thanks for the link.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 7:27am
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dug out my ol gear I'm just going to have to make me anuther fishing rod I think chuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Now to get some blanks
http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2012 at 8:09pm
Titanium
Titanium

when it comes to a spiral wrap what is the most and the least amount of eyes including the top eye.

also looking at the picks the bottom eye is bigger than the rest can you have 2 this size or big to smaller
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2012 at 10:27pm
Red Hunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Go to www.360tuna.com  rod building , search ,  spiral wrap  , acid wrap , you will get more info than you can poke a stick at .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2012 at 11:59am
Titanium
Titanium

churr Red thanks fr that info.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Elpescador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2012 at 1:18pm
Elpescador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 11:28am
dustin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Guys, just a quick question.  You've probably seen little cracks develop in the epoxy right at the tips of roller guide feet - it seems that fast taper stand-up rods are particularly liable to this, probably because they bend so much at the tip, but I've seen it on a few chair rods too.  How would you recommend dealing with this?  Triple wraps?  Additional epoxy coat?  I'd welcome any suggestions.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 12:56pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Grinding the foot of the guide to as smooth a transition as you can get it certainly helps, also the putting the first coat of finish on water thin to really soak the threads right to the blank will also go a long way.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 2:28pm
Titanium
Titanium

you know how we use epoxy for the guides, they say it is much more stronger in applications but very brittle, has anyone tried polyester resin, polyester is more flexible so is there a reason we dont use it?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 3:12pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Red Hunter Red Hunter wrote:

Glue inside your grip and blank , hold the grip at the top and middle , then slide on down , with 4 mm diff  it will slide on easy .

Yup make sure there's plenty of glue up inside the grip, use a piece of round rod or dowel that's longer than the grip to distribute the glue better inside the grip.

Then spread glue all over your blank from the point that the grip is the same size as the blank, down to where you want the grip to go. Messy but it does the biz.

Make sure you have a good supply of Acetone and rags handy for clean up.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 11:47pm
dustin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

BA a few days back I put on a 19mm eva grip on a trolling blank, about 22mm at the thickest bit.  Needed to push it a little towards the end, but it went OK: reckon 1mm more would not have been a problem.  I used araldite smeared very thin on the blank and some methylated spirit as lube. 

Badfish thanks for the tips, I'll report back soon as am building a 24kg/50 lb stand up rod.  Was trying out different guide positions and could clearly see how the guide feet would push upwards when the rod is fighting  fish.  No wonder the epoxy can crack at that point, the blank is bending but the guide doesn't. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 9:41pm
Titanium
Titanium

cheers Dustin

guys, the size of eyes, does it mater???? My mudhole stuff arrived on Wednesday and to me they are on the small side, now they are going on a 6ft blank and will be used with both braid and nylon, using a windon may be a hassle but not 100% sure yet. so does size matter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LouisJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 1:49pm
LouisJ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have just finished my NCEA exams and am going to get into rod building so this thread will prove quite useful.

On Mudhole, I'm looking at getting a full kit with international 220 volt dryer as well as all kit, tools and wrapper. Is it worth getting this or is it easier to get everything ie tools and supplies separately and make the wrapper or buy the whole kit. I would say the full kit would be expensive to ship but individual supplies wouldn't.

In a separate order, I will probably get a cheap CRB rod for practice and for my dads Corvalus as a general casting rod. In that order, I will get a 2-6 lb 6'6" St Croix blank for trout spinning using a Stradic 1000 ci4 or FJ and a 4 wt TFO fly rod. Is it worth getting the blanks separate and how do they ship them eg in a tube.

Lastly I will get threads for these rods. Which size A or D for each rod? For grips I would use EVA and on the CRB and he St Croix and cork for the fly. On the ST Croix, I would like to use a fuji spinning seat but not sure whether to use the VSS or the IPS. As its my first rod, is it hard to install these seats. Finally, should I get a basic single foot spinning guide kit for the St Croix or get a specific assortment.

Sorry to write an essay but any help from people who have done similar or first time builds would be much appreciated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SillyString Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 3:03pm
SillyString View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

On Mudhole, I'm looking at getting a full kit with international 220 volt dryer as well as all kit, tools and wrapper. Is it worth getting this or is it easier to get everything ie tools and supplies separately and make the wrapper or buy the whole kit. I would say the full kit would be expensive to ship but individual supplies wouldn't.
Obviously great to have a full set up but you can get straight into rod building using a cardboard box (or DIY stands) and wrapping by hand with the thread through a book (for tension) etc. - BBQ rotisserie and you're away for about  $30 - see if you like it then invest in/build a better wrapper.  Although if you've got the cash and know you're going to build lots then go for it. Rodworks in aussie sell power wrappers etc. and are closer to home but I'm not sure of how their prices compare to the states.

Lastly I will get threads for these rods. Which size A or D for each rod? For grips I would use EVA and on the CRB and he St Croix and cork for the fly. On the ST Croix, I would like to use a fuji spinning seat but not sure whether to use the VSS or the IPS. As its my first rod, is it hard to install these seats. Finally, should I get a basic single foot spinning guide kit for the St Croix or get a specific assortment.

You shouldn't have any problems with VSS etc especially with the pre-cut grips. Size 16 probably the go. For the spinning guide kit do you mean the ones you get as part of a full rod kit or a specific guide kit (e.g. fuji)? if the former check what brand they are as sometimes they are crap. I'd go for fuji's if possible - don't need sic's etc. for trout fishing - nylon or braid? I'd be going for A thread as it looks neater and all the rods you mention are lightweight but either would work. Good luck mate - its a bloody good hobby Smile.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LouisJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 3:55pm
LouisJ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks SS. Yeah I'll probably make my own wrapper and dryer. Using braid and would probably get a specific fuji guide set. For the reel seats, as it is an ultra light rod, would the IPS be better suited as it is smaller. If I get the IPS, would the VSS per cuts fit it? Just saw stainless "K" series guides with alconite ring. Like the K frame but what quantity and size to get for a 6'6" rod?
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nylg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2012 at 6:36pm
nylg1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by LouisJ LouisJ wrote:

Thanks SS. Yeah I'll probably make my own wrapper and dryer. Using braid and would probably get a specific fuji guide set. For the reel seats, as it is an ultra light rod, would the IPS be better suited as it is smaller. If I get the IPS, would the VSS per cuts fit it? Just saw stainless "K" series guides with alconite ring. Like the K frame but what quantity and size to get for a 6'6" rod?
Cheers

Don't know how good it is but check this out http://anglersresource.net/Portals/anglersresource/gps_updated.html

http://anglersresource.net/GuidePlacementSoftware.aspx
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.”
― Wernher Von Braun
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SillyString Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2012 at 10:45am
SillyString View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by nylg1 nylg1 wrote:

Don't know how good it is but check this out http://anglersresource.net/Portals/anglersresource/gps_updated.html

http://anglersresource.net/GuidePlacementSoftware.aspx

Some interesting stuff on that site - cheers for sharing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote plastic tiki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2012 at 8:41pm
plastic tiki View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Finally got my a into g and thanks to Nev at Kilwell bought some blanks, plenty of bits been coming in the mailbox from the states. Not too flash on the threadwork yet but learning all the time. Thanks to redhunter for some alps guides. Hope to finish wrapping a 200gm jig rod for in the next week or two, then a 100gm spin jig and soft bait rod for myself. Thanks to all the guys on here for tips and tricks.

PT
The perils of kayak fishing are great...... especially for the fish!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LouisJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 7:53pm
LouisJ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ok...got a couple of rods from Nev @ Kilwell (brilliant service ) but have no idea what guides to put on them.
1st is a 6-8kg 7ft Jelly tip overhead for a Torium 14. Was thinking alconite double foot K series guides (KW) and running guides for the tip (KT) or can I just use all KWs as seen on the light Terez casting rods. Would someone be able to advise me on the correct sizes & quantities? Will be running 8kg mono for straylining. If the K series are not practical maybe either BMNAG or LNAG.
2nd is a 10-15kg 7ft Lime tip Spin for a Baitrunner 12000d/Stradic 8000fj. Again have no idea on sizes but possibly CMNAG or maybe KWAG.
Will be running 15kg braid and 10kg mono on a spare spool for bottom bashing and live baiting. Any help on sizes would be much appreciated.
Page  <1 17181920>