The Auckland Rock Fishing Guide

Page  <1234 6>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OnTheRocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 10:39pm
OnTheRocks View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Ladies Bay in Mission Bay

Even if the fishing isnt the best there are normally topless woman walking around lol

We have caught a number of pannies here tho

Walk down the stairs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OnTheRocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 7:41pm
OnTheRocks View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Go to harbour bridge or where the oil/fuel tanks are just back from the harbour bridge (for got what its called) The big reel
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nebula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 9:27pm
Nebula View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi out east auckland i just fish around point england its close and I've seen a few rat kingys and even some about 1 meter +  really close inshore when snapper are running its pretty good otherwise kahawai is the norm,also  i like whatipu, kaitarakehi, almost anywhere from green bay up towards whatipu  there are alot of good fishing spots i hear they are catching kings at french bay even..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Vundu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 8:51am
Vundu View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

We fished at Te Haruhi Bay a few times over the last month. From the car park walk down to the beach and turn left to get to the rocks. It's a bit of a walk and climb  and easier at low tide. Mostly kahawai and snapper, but heard of people catching kingfish too. The beach is actually perfect for the kids, so the rest of the family can have a nice day out while you are on the rocks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote silstar steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 9:05pm
silstar steve View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

hey seth..just read your rock fishin guide post.. i havent been and dont think i am fit enough to conquer it yet..but i wana take on the light-houseClap.. do people park outside the actual main gate, then walk the length of the driveway before the downhill mission even begins??where is the track? or can people park within the light-house carpark.. a mate and i are contemplating an over-nighter
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 11:13pm
Seth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by silstar steve silstar steve wrote:

hey seth..just read your rock fishin guide post.. i havent been and dont think i am fit enough to conquer it yet..but i wana take on the light-houseClap.. do people park outside the actual main gate, then walk the length of the driveway before the downhill mission even begins??where is the track? or can people park within the light-house carpark.. a mate and i are contemplating an over-nighter

Im not sure if you would really want to overnight there bud, really exposed with the wind fair whipping though on any sort of westerly plus space is at a premium on the high tides.  Its seriously flat too so doesnt fish to well on the high.

If you wanna do a an overnight would suggest walking to the blowholes instead as you will be out of the wind there and space to setup a tent/camp area for the night.  Just have a chat to the farmer that owns the land (he's located 1/3rd of the way between wattle and cake on the house up the hill, roger is his name) to make sure its ok with him just in case he has his cattle down there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote silstar steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 7:51am
Bronze
Bronze

yeah we camped at the left hand of the cake last november,walked round from wattle.met roger the next day to inform him of 1 of his cows falling down the hill overnight,from right up top,right to the bottom!! it was messy! roger seems a good sort though.. from the cake we walked bout  a k and a half further to the left..into no mans land haha,pulled a couple of nice trevs out,and couple of carrots as well
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 7:59am
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

man id love to do an overnighter.
I have a mate that lives on grahams beach rd and he said that hike is a killer if even slightly unfit and carrying weight.
He saw geoff gordon nearly die coming up it a while back,reckons his face was almost purple,lol.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote silstar steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 8:07am
Bronze
Bronze

my brother tried to con me into that venture about 6 years ago.. he is more unfit than i am.. his mrs told me it took him little over 3 hours to crawl back up,and he had been there 2 days for 1 semi decent snapper,and he looked like tom hanks in 'castaway" hahahaha
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kenshin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2011 at 4:46pm
Kenshin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Here is some for me:

Torbay, North Shore
- Park at Rock Isle Rd, walk towards the Island on the left side. Accessible only halfway to lowtide or u can wade swim ur way in/out. KY and Snap to be had.

Winstones Cove, North Shore
- park at end of Gray cres, walk down the council path to the beach and walk ur way to the left ledges. Accesss is halfway to lowtide. KY and Snap.

Cliff Rd, LongBay
- Drive to end of Cliff Rd, take stair path down to the rocks. Make sure not to fish past the Marker as its a marine reserve. Can be fished both high and low, but I found it best on the incoming to high. Huge schools of horse KY hang around here from late summer to Autumn. Snaps are very seldom.

Wade River, Whangaparoa
- Fish the river mouth south of the river. Ledges on hte left are more accessible only on the low. KY and Snaps but heard from the locals they often see kings come up to the river during summer chasing mullet. 

Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger. –Herbert Hoover
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Bamapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2011 at 7:34pm
Bamapple View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Seth Seth wrote:

Originally posted by silstar steve silstar steve wrote:

Im not sure if you would really want to overnight there bud, really exposed with the wind fair whipping though on any sort of westerly plus space is at a premium on the high tides.  Its seriously flat too so doesnt fish to well on the high.

If you wanna do a an overnight would suggest walking to the blowholes instead as you will be out of the wind there and space to setup a tent/camp area for the night.  Just have a chat to the farmer that owns the land (he's located 1/3rd of the way between wattle and cake on the house up the hill, roger is his name) to make sure its ok with him just in case he has his cattle down there.

i was fishing there last week, it was an easterly wind direction, and rain was coming, we drove up past the lighthouse down the no exit road to where the big hill is, then walked straight down, then along a little more to the sand, it  took around 30 minutes to go down from the top, saw the corps of this dead cow there, got to the bottum, and headed to the point on the left at low tide, first cast hooked me into a baby snapper, then the tides cam in pretty quick and we were there around 20 minutes before having to leave(8:30pm) so we went to the right toward wattle bay and sat there for a few hours with very little bits until we thought we would start the walk up the hill(around 11pm) started ot wind in and i was hooked up, but it was only a eagle ray, i love my soft bait rod, it seems strong i managed to pull the ray right in to the beach on 30 pound braid. wished it was a snapper but o well, so after this we started our walk up the hill, got a 3rd of the way up and found lots of gorse so headed back down a bit then off to the right, then back to left, found some cow ruts so headed up those to the top of the hill, took us around an hour with around 20 2 minute rests, although it was alot easier than climbing up the higher angled hill. good and fun trip, but i wouldn't do it again without looking where i am going on the way down before dark. you could camp on the side of the hill where we walked up, not so much wind and gorse there for shelter , some stares(cattle) were in the paddock tho, so be careful they dnt fall on your tent whilst you are sleeping or something. i will be going back to this place sometime closer to the summer, but DEFENATELY NOT fishing it at high tide as it is a waste of time. hope this helps you guys and if you go, let me know how it goes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cmonfishy!!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2011 at 4:35pm
Cmonfishy!!! View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Can anyone give any advice on fishing the south head of the Kaipara? we will probably 4wd it from Muriwai along the beach.. thanks in advance..Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Salty Bones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 4:46pm
Salty Bones View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

use heavy sinkers - 6oz
and use strong bait with bait cotton - mullet is good!

meen spot!
goodluck!

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man ta fish and he'll sit on the rocks and drink all day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Salty Bones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 4:46pm
Salty Bones View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Whats your favourite local fishing platform into the auckland harbour?

In a NW, N, NE wind mine is bayswater on the breakwater surrounding the marina
W wind the devonport wharf, cast towards east
Anything Southerly i like the end of beaumont st at the bit Wheel.

Anyone found much difference between spots around the harbour?
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man ta fish and he'll sit on the rocks and drink all day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2011 at 1:37pm
kaoss View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

Castor bay rocks floating baits at low tide - walkround out to rocks on left past break water -nice small ledge to be fished at low tide.

Went there today, there is a bit of weed and snagged once. Other wise I had a couple of big hits but was unable to land anything decent. I have I hopes for this spot. I was using a 2 hook leader with the sinker at the bottom. Going again later in the week and will try floating bait.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2011 at 4:01pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

that is the breakwater there mate - the spot shane talked about is just  a bit further past.

Fished the breakwater alot as a kid. Nice place to fish on a dusk full tide.
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2011 at 4:10pm
kaoss View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah we were there a lil late so the tide was a bit high but will make sure to hit it early next time and get to the point there. Found there was a bit of weeds straight out the front and I think that when your at the point you'll be in front of them. Should be al gud!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AndyK-22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2011 at 3:36pm
AndyK-22 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Waiwera: The Island just off Waiwera has caught some good fish in its time! However, it is only accessible at low tide and the easiest way to get at it is from the Wenderholm side. BUT it does catch good fish. everything from large Snapper to Kingfish go past this point. I'll see if I can get out there this weekend and try it our for you!! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote koi74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 3:18pm
koi74 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Salty Bones Devonport wharf  fishing is best when the wind from N,NE or E, big wheel E,SW,, W         Harbour bridge E,SW,W ,NE, Harbour Bridge is really good on rainy days and stormy day is the best we caught heaps big size snapper
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 3:37pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

how big we talking koi? 10lb? 15lb?
LedgeNZ LBG
Page  <1234 6>