The Auckland Rock Fishing Guide

Page  123 6>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ODL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Auckland Rock Fishing Guide
    Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 9:26pm
ODL View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi all...

So as a newbie fisherman I have probably posted endless posts on here asking about spots around Auckland. As most starting out want to know the same things, I'm thinking why not just have one continuous thread on here with info we can share about Auckland spots. 

I'm not saying give up your Spot X, just chuck up the stuff to get people started on the road to LBG greatness. It would save alot of re-typing and would be the kind of resource any amateur fisherman would be grateful for. 

If possible, could the moderators make it stick at the top of the forum (JK)?

I'll start off:

Fisherman's Wharf (Northcote Point): Loads of parking, good for night fishing (lights etc.), bait boards and someone even left a chair there once. Caught a few snapper, hooked a few big rays and say one guy get spooled by something big. Plenty of bait fish around too. 

Tank Farm (Westhaven): Strong currents so take breakout sinkers. Need a good cast but can be worth it. You can cast from where you park and the area is lit (sort of) at night. Has produced well recently according to the reports on here. Not sure whether it's best fished at high or low tide, but I'm sure change of light will make the difference.

What do you think? Where would you send someone who's just starting out?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 9:09am
Tomatron View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not going to give away my hard found gems, but for those just starting out and want to catch a feed of snapper (in saying this it has potential to produce a larger  specimen) a few spots are:

Sandspit: Get there when the tide is out going and about an hour and a half to go. Park near to the camp ground and walk straight out towards the chanel  you will see the sand bar there. Best time is during the week when boat traffic is low. use a 3-4oz triangle sinker above the swivel then a 2-3m trace tto sway around in the current. Evening is better as less boats around. Somthing hard for bait squid, mullet chunks or something. Always used to get a couple of pannies here.

Mullet Point: Scandretts Bay. Google it is you don't know where that is. Although it gets hammered if you pick your low tide and evenings it does fish well. Kingfish and JD are also very realistic catches but half pilles unweighted have worked best for me. Have the wind behind you so west or south west is ideal.

Pakiri: Fishing well ATM for pannies. Low tide beach surf casting rigs required. Easy feed. Just watch the surfers.

I know many of these spots are known but they are also under rated. I have walk in spots that take 2 hours and I often boat in to get to where I want to go but I still fish these if i dont have time to do a big trip and regually do quite well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 9:52am
Seth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Happy to share my spots, have ones outside of the manukau that have been given to me so not mine to share.

Easterlies blowing:

Keep an eye on swellmap looking for any wind direction with an E in it that has ben blowing for a while and flattened the coast down.

Spot 1: Hamilton's Gap is located up the pennisular (off west coast road) Fish 2 - 3 hours before to turn of the low tide. Park at the car park, walk down to the beach and head around to the left past the rocks/stream. Look for the massive hole there that fishes well on the outgoing and even better on the incoming tide. Gurnard, snapper, KY and trevs the regular catches.

Spot 2: Lighthouse - This is a spot that I have yet to fish as I don’t reckon Im fit enough yet. Have heard a lot of very good stories about this spot. About 30 - 45 min to get down the hill and a couple of hours to get back up. 35' angle!!! You would want to do it on a day that has very limited swell and wind as you will be casting into the Manukau Bar and it can get a bit wet and hairy, specially with the wind against tide.

Spot 3: Karioitahi beach. Head down the coast towards the port (left) around 3 hours before low tide, bigger the better. Maybe 3 or 4 times a year with the right conditions you get this happening:

Fish it and fish it hard. Look for holes with shells littered around as a sure sign of pipi beds that will be holding some good fish. Snapper and KY are the main catch.

Days with a Westerlie blowing then head up the coast to these different places.

Spot 4: Big Bay - Again, 2 - 3 hours before low tide. Drive all the way down to the end of the road and park in the car park. Be mindful not to get to close to the entry as its used for guys beach launching their boats. Head to the left until you get to the end of the point that has a couple of big dead trees. Fishing here will produce gurnard and the odd Snapper in the winter months. If you discover a heap of red weed on you line move around about 100m - 150m left to the middle of this point and the next one and you will be fine. If you want a real challenge keep following the beach around to the next point... mako point:

Its called this for a reason so burley up a storm and hold on

Spot 5: Orephus Point (Orua Bay) - Located in between Orua and Wattle Bay. Fished over the high tide with only a 1 min walk from the carpark. Can be really busy on the weekends that are fine days and the space is a premium. Cast out directly towards Sky city with a ledger rig and breakout sinker. Small Snapper, KY & Trev's the major catches with big rays a common occurrence and the odd kingi thrown in for good messure.

Spot 6: Wattle Bay - This is actually two spots but... To your right once you park up is a stream. Fish the stream either side of the low low tide. Gurnard and KY the major ones with lots of little snapper about year round. Have picked up 2 trev's but was a fluke I reckon.

2nd spot at wattle bay go left around the coast till you get to stream. Cross the stream and head another 100 odd meters till your almost around to the next point before a a tree. The channel comes in really close here and is the best Trev and KY spot by far. I tend to use a straylining rig with the very end tip of a pillie on the hook. Short cast just before the channel because if you cast into the channel unless you have a fish on its gone cause you cant get it back over the ledge. Also a heap of conger eels live in the ledge.

Spot 7: Cake island - Cake is a pretty well know spot that isnt actually an island, just a point that is only just attached to the mainland. Unless you want to spend all day there you HAVE to be in and out 3 hours before high tide so low tide only. About a 30 min walk from wattle bay. Keep walking until you get to where you cant walk any further which will be underneath a collapsed tree. There are rocks in front of you that you can climb up to get on top of cake. As you get to the top look over the opposite side to your right and there will be a ledge. This is your fishing spot. To get down you will need to follow the edge of the island around towards a pohutakawa tree that has a rope attaced to its roots to climg down. Be prepared to lose some tackle. I prefer thin gauge hooks here as less like to snag, no weight at all and big hunks of bait. Snapper snapper and more snapper… more of a winter spot to thin out the undersized snapper, can produce the odd kingi

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 10:14am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Good stuff guys.

I will sticky this and then delete any off topic or non-useful posts. May also do the odd tidy up of posts to keep things clear and consistent.

If for some reason you have an issue with  a spot being posted here as it yours favourite number 1 spot then drop me a PM and I may consider removing it.

Remember guys this is a thread to share for newbies etc. dont need to share your spot X.
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote one leg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 10:34am
one leg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ok couple around Orewa beach.

Northern end of bch just out from Sea scouts den next to rocks straight off bch fishs best over dusk and early night on a low tide most baits work and a two hook ledger seems best ; to the left of bch on rocks is another spot known for KY care needed on rocks a areas covered in slippy slime only able to be fished from low to 1/2-3/4 tide if there over incoming .the

Southern end of bch fish's well next to  river  entrance there over incoming 1/2 tide up again better at dusk/dawn ,running rig and ledger rig both work with the bigger baits lasting best

Hatfields bch both ends have rock reefs and these are best fished on droping tides kelpy areas at both so floating baits work best unless able to cast a long way to the sand ,the bch at Hats is a bit hit miss fish over night with and incoming 1/2 tide.
woman who say they are equal to men ,show lack of Ambition .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pure--lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 7:50pm
pure--lure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mosquito Bay: (South Head of the Kaipara)Park at the top of the carpark walk down the walkway hang a right and keep walking you will see a point in the distance keep walking until you cant walk any further its a very notciable ledge fantastic for Snapper, KY, Gurnard and Bronze Whalers hell of alot of current so a west coast running rig is Ideal and Mullet and bonito baits work best with recurbed hooks.

Down the Walkway

To the right this is the ledge straight out into deepness ;) big fish I'm an East Coast fisho now :)

And this is what you should see
http://www.facebook.com/groups/hibiscus.coast.fishing/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pure--lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 8:00pm
pure--lure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Big Manly Beach : Walk to the left of the beach 2 2.5 hours before low fish till low and the incoming on the rocks there a very below avergae spot during the day but at night time the place comes alive abit of wind with floating baits shoud nab you some of these puppys Pilchards or Anchovies, make sure you use berley or else it can be rather dull is really good for squid fishing at night before I knew they wer a potential target use to see them swimming round
http://www.facebook.com/groups/hibiscus.coast.fishing/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Photofisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 9:27pm
Photofisha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hatfields Point Northern End.
30min walk from car if you loaded up with berley and gear.

Some really slippery rocks in parts so be careful easy access from mid to mid tide..can stay put through the high under 3m but rocks covered on the biggies.

Casting towards Whangaparoa produces nice fish at times and on a clear day you can see the lines of kelp and these have lost me a few good fish but it also seems to be where the goodies hide.

Army Bay Western Points
Alot of  places to fish around here with more options on the last 2 hrs out and 2 hrs in of tide but can also be fished over the high if you staying around there.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 10:07pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Here are a couple worth fishing at this time of year...

Kauri Point - Pack up at the carpark on Onetaunga Road opposite the end of Chelsea View Drive and take the track down to Soldiers Bay. Its a 5min walk down but a solid 10 back up. Head out around to the left side of the bay and there is a small rock ledge there than can be fished through all but high tide with deep water and plenty of current out front. Two best ways to fish it are straylining with good sized baits and 1/2 to 1oz sinker and cast it up current and let it sink with the current and repeat. Other option it to cast back across the entrance of the bay. Water is not so deep here but less snags and current and you can fish this way with a rod in a rodholder if you like. Best times to fish are Jan through March from low until an hour or so  before high tide. Pannie snappes are the target. 

North Head - Park up at the summit of north head (devonport) and take the track down the eastern side to the base. Follow the track around and you can soon access the rock ledges around the bottom of north head. A long cast here should get you well in to the channel but watch for boats passing close by. Plenty of pannie snapper around from Dec through April but also usually KY, the odd trev and ever present sting ray.
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kayz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 11:01pm
Kayz View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Orere point -  at night good for snapper during the day good for kahawai.
walk right to the rocks and burley hard and you can get into some good size snapper.

Whatipu - walk out to the far rock on the right and fish the sand to the right of it or on the rocks over the incoming tide, good for kahawai, trevally and kingfish in summer months. 
go left to paratutae island for snapper and again kingfish in summer.

I cant wait to get back on the rocks!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote one leg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 12:27pm
one leg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wenderholm -fished over a low tide the first flat rock ledges to  the right off bch usally produce pannies with the odd surprise ,kelpy area so fast retrieve needed most baits work but fresh sprats taken from boatramp wharf before hand will stop the smaller fish being a problem ,as tide returns fish back in to bch finialy fishing off bch next to rocks over high 8kg and above line really needed because of foul fishing area .beware of walking close to cliff face because of rock falls best time to fish is when moon is at your back .
woman who say they are equal to men ,show lack of Ambition .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 5:24pm
Ahab View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Good idea Oriel.

Matiatia area, Waiheke Island.
Get off the ferry and head left along to the end of the beach, then about 20mins along the track. There are plenty of spots here, most of them all tide, but a few you'll need to relocate to fish the highest part of the tide. Can be plagued by jailbait snapper esp in Summer, but usually plenty of keeper pannies too. Also the usual suspects in terms of kahawai, good trevally, squid and kingies. Piper can be thick enough to walk on.

If you head to the Northwesternmost point, there's a partial island. The face of this drops away into very deep water (the Matiatia hole). The current here can really honk past at certain parts of the tide. Have caught and released my pb trevally here (estimated 8lb).

Good place for rat kings, and I've heard of people getting bigger models.

Going in the other direction from the ferry wharf also opens up a lot of fishy water. The walk is about the same distance. Johnnyblaze caught his first softbait snapper here, before the technique was widely used.

The beauty of these spots is that when the wind is slamming the east coast of mainland Auckland, you are in a perfect lee.

Give yourself plenty of time to get back to the ferry! Running along a shingle beach with a pack, rods and a chilly while a boatload of wined- up city tools watch is undignified and knackering.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xsspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 10:32am
xsspeed View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Take note of Ahab's last point, the shingle beaches and changing levels as you get off the track are problematic, and have been known to cause a phenomenon knwon as face planting - not fun with a pack on.

A beer on the ferry home is often required.

Brown's Bay - Northern end of the bay, an easy walk out to the point up till around half tide, then you may get wet.Fish over high, you may need to spend the tide here unless you know the way back, fishing back across the bay towards the south seems to be best - deeper water.

Out to the left is a popular shellfish bed, but seems quite foul (the brown's bay reef is beyond it) Have not caught anything from casting that way.

Snapper are the target, eagle rays will be there, kings have been caught there too (not by me)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 11:32am
Ahab View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Destruction Gully
Drive up out of Little Huia on the Whatipu rd. The first (or possibly second) carpark on the left after the Mt Donald McLean turn off (on the right) is Destruction. Note that a lot of cars seem to get broken into here, judging by the shattered window glass. Don't leave your ipad on the dash.

The walk down is a reasonably long flat straight bit, then a lot of downhill zigzags, a semi bushbash and then a little scramble down a waterfall (rope assisted, although not really necessary). The walk back is a bit of a pig.

Once on the beach, head to your left as far as you can go. There's a bit of a climb over a few big chunks of rock, especially if the tide is in. There's an obvious platform to fish from, dry on all but the largest swells/tides. I always wear a pfd here.

The fishing is variable- sometimes you'll get heaps of big kahawai, good trevally and spotted smoothhounds. I've livied there for kings but have only ever caught kahawai. Livebaits can be hard to get. You may well be stuck with sprats (Yellow eyed mullet).

The only king I've even seen there took a mate's nuclear chicken on a light softie rod and smoked him. I've only taken one legal snapper here.

The water is snaggy and the current ferocious at times. I use ledgers and breakouts and expect to lose a few to the rocks. There are clear areas, though, you'll find them. There are always plenty of eels and rays to keep you on your toes.

It might be worth targetting red moki and parore if you have a mind to. I've seen some big parore there- one 5lber took a mate's softplastic!

I would guess that like most parts of any big harbour, there isn't a lot to hold the fish, so you really need to be there when they're in transit from one area to another. I haven't cracked Destruction yet, but it's always an adventure. The walk in and out tends to keep the crowds away, too.

A sharker I know got spooled there on 600m of 37kg line. Probably a white.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shoby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 9:52pm
shoby View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If you dont want to drive long distance then try:
Campbell's Bay On the beach walk to the right and you will see series of rocks. use floating baits. Beach itself fish well in the night couple of hrs before incoming.
In summers there are plenty of small snappers so try to catch and use fresh bait, it will increase your chances catching better size snappers.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ODL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 10:33pm
ODL View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cornwallis Wharf: Gets very busy on a Saturday morning, but the water seems quite deep at the end and I imagine if you were out there on a Monday morning, you'd have the place to yourself. It's easy fishing with a pretty high chance of a catch. I've caught plenty of Kawhai, a few Snapper and I've heard reports of Kingis. It's a bit of a drive, but probably a good place to start. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote B razz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 12:13am
B razz View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Under greenhithe bridge

park up the road from greenhithe bridge (take the old greenhive road not the new moterway)and walk down the road on the right hand side when you get to the bridge go under it and climb down the rocks. best spot is through the bush on the left hand side and down a absailing rope. i mainly catch snapper and eels. best on the outgoing tide.

Bayswater marina

best on the high tide at change of light lots of snapper and kawhai. We usually fish from the water barrier towards the end where they have built fishing areas.

Stanely point devonport

Go to devo then turn right before the shops and drive to the first beach. Park up and walk round the rock to the right untill you get to the point you can see from the beach. you can only get there at low to mid tide so plan on staying for a while. ive only been once but caught lots of snapper at high tide.
beers, buds, bait n berley
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 11:34pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Castor bay rocks floating baits at low tide - walkround out to rocks on left past break water -nice small ledge to be fished at low tide.  Otherwise try sandstone ledges at Kenedy Park (steps are back) over high tide -whole area is fishable and fish can be in close at times -floating baits only as lots of snags.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 10:35pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Milford Beach; More towards southern end. Incoming tide with choppy conditions most productive and well into the night (11pm onwards). Half pillies on a single hook ledger rig. Have dragged four 10lb snaps out of there over the past couple of years. Sometimes decent sized KY around there too. Better in the later months when the weather starts warming up though.
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scepter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 11:08pm
scepter View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys,you could also try Herne bay wharf at the end of wairangi road.This fishes best at change of light on incoming tide.Take a bait rod with you as theres plenty of piper.Use these fresh or really fresh mullet on a running rig
Page  123 6>