The Auckland Rock Fishing Guide

Page  <1 3456>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pisky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 3:20pm
pisky View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey fisho I fish that area and have found that this time of the year is not great for snapper as there tends to be too many small ones but you will do better at the change of light.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 4:22pm
fish0 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks for that pisky.
Yea. that and there is a substantial amount of seaweed right now..Snaging everywere
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mysto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2014 at 9:52pm
Mysto View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Does anyone here have fished the Watchman Island? You'd need a yak or a dingy to get there but I thought I ask here.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pickles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2014 at 9:55pm
Pickles View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

yeah bro, def worth a shot but to be honest, if you are in a dinghy or a yak you may aswell stay in it and fishing up current drifting straylines back towards it. Can clean up on dusk with outgoing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mysto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2014 at 10:38pm
Mysto View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I do drift and catch in the harbour on my Yak but the current gets tiring. Ouch
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WarriorFishGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 12:52pm
WarriorFishGal View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Anybody having much luck lately? I tried Corwallis last week but didn't even get a bite :-(. Ive never tried Maraetai or Kawakawa Bay so am wondering if I should give that a go. Any good in winter?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote taurangatroutmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 1:32pm
taurangatroutmaster View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

catching heaps of kahawai, a few trevs and a few good snapper on the west coast, gurnard should show up any time now. bad days still getting at least a dozen keepable fish. only ever take a few for a feed though
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bigted73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2014 at 9:22am
bigted73 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Where's a good wharf to take the young fulla, have a couple of light rods with sabiki's and smaller surf casters for a chuck. Went with the spot x to Maraeti Wharf but not even a nibble... was pretty choppy and real murky water with the wind, happy for him just to catch sprats
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Buggar-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2014 at 9:40am
Buggar-me View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

bigted try the wharf at kawakawa bay. The old ICI wharf is now a regional park. Park entrance is at the top of the hill before you go down into Kawakawa Bay. Sorry cant remember the name. Have seen lots of kids here catching good size fish to keep them interested.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote craignzcd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2014 at 9:50am
craignzcd View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

http://www.wises.co.nz/l/Auckland+2585/Waitawa+Regional+Park/#c/-36.938311/175.13981/14/

think this is the place terry out at kawakawa bay....used to fish of the rocks years ago but is a regional park now....cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bigted73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2014 at 11:37am
bigted73 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the replys, and hello Mr Dawson!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pisky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 5:46am
pisky View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey bigted it might pay to check if the park is open as there was storm damage to the road  which may not have been fixed yet.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Go Fish! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 11:08am
Go Fish! View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Has anyone had anything come out in the Auckland Harbour area? I'm one of many "land locked" fisho's and have just come back from abroad. Am itching to get out there but need some advice on baits, potential spots, etc.
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Aucklandfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 3:52am
Aucklandfisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey mate, as the water is warming up now the snapper are moving into the habour. One thing I look out for are storms where in the outer habour past rangitoto, currents are rough and not best suited for a lot of fish so they head into the inner habour and the best places to catch them are orakei wharf, devonport, habour bridge and mrchanics bay the day after the storm. Just recently you may have heard there was an underwater earthquake in the gulf habour, plus high winds, that was the perfect time to head up to orakei wharf. On the day it was raining and windy but I ended up catching over 17 snapper. 7 snapper which i kept - 5 which where around 55cm, one was 62cm and by biggest was 76.5cm.        My biggest snapper all year so far. I am heading out to orakei wharf sat 22 nov so youre welcome to come and chat, ill be wearing glasses with a bald head.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nathchef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 9:20am
nathchef View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thought I should update waiheke spots as I found this thread extremely helpful when I first moved over here.

Fishermans rock.
Still getting excessive pressure from the weekend fishos, seen a few great boil ups just off the coast over summer, resulting in a few nice KY and a couple rats. Handy spot if ya dont have the time to head further away. Generally poor though theses days.

Matiatia, south point.
Frustrating with the influx of ferry traffic over the last year. Still performing ok over the colder months. Burley hard for snapper in summer (in the early hours) and stray line over spring for some great travelly, then again in autumn for Kahawai.

Owhanaki. Have a look on the linz charts for the drop off on the left hand coastline. Good summer spot for kings, mostly rats but a few bigger specimens thrown in.

Orapiu wharf.
gets absolutely hammered. Always.
a mate spends a lot of time there during autumn/winter/spring chasing KY though and swears by it. A few kings picked up annually too.

Thompsons point.
Long walk for a short fish, takes about an hour to get there then fishes 2 hours over the low, then gotta move before the tide swamps ya. Great little spot though, took my first 20 pound snap here last summer. My favorite (out of the ones I'm sharing here ; ) )

Hope this helps.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishstix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2015 at 12:43am
Fishstix View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Fished a little bit since moving here a few years ago. There's some awesome fishing off the rocks if you jump off a tinny a little east down the N coast.

But, if you're stuck on the mainland theres still some good spots. Owhanake has a nice point that you can access with a hairy cliff climb (If you're in Owhanake, you just look out, and to the left)

There's also some nice low tide spots from Cable bay that have turned up some great evening fishes...

South side has always been quiet for me, but your mileage may vary. Try the tip of deadmans bay.

Good luck!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaundtsl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 11:13am
shaundtsl View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a place to take my two young boys (5 and 9) fishing this time of the year.

We are pretty new to fishing (and to NZ) My boys have never caught fish before, so its really just to have some fun and catch something, we don't need to keep it although something for supper could be nice but mainly just to let them reel something in.

Looking for good spots around the northshore, we are in Albany but don't mind a bit of a drive if need be.

It would be nice to have a place which is fairly easily accessible on foot for the young one.

And would soft bait be alright to use or would you suggest a different type of bait?

Any info would be great, thanks!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote climbaboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 11:19am
climbaboy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

This time of year. Army bay can be fun. Squid bait and burley. From the beach on outgoing tide head right and get onto the rocks at the entrance of the bay. Not too far for the young one and might get u some pannies.
I'd go basic ledger rig but I'm just lazy. Lol if u have a good cast a big stray lined lump of something could be good.
"she says..i need different shoes for different outfits...I'm appling said rule to fishing apparatus....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaundtsl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 11:33am
shaundtsl View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Great, thanks climbaboy, that is the kinda answer I was looking for, just googled army bay and its not too far and could be a nice day out.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaundtsl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 11:36am
shaundtsl View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Oh BTW, would soft bait work around that area and for that type of fishing?
Page  <1 3456>