The Auckland Rock Fishing Guide

Page  <12345 6>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 8:26pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

One good king come off campbells already this year (last week).... but lot of grumpy old locals fish there.  So all best spots usually taken.
Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 8:32pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Nice to hear shane. Always good to hear about good fish being caught locally.
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote koi74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 4:47am
koi74 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

probably around 8 to 12 lb but few over 70 cm and couple kingfish as well, all the big ones coming from right hand side corner and we only using 2 -3/0 circle hooks with tiny magic squid for bait do the damage make sure the squid is fresh others wise you become 90% fishermanEmbarrassed,this is the best time to fish over there before the crowd turn up after xmats
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote climbaboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 1:30am
climbaboy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi few spots in whangaparoa.

Army bay: Head east..... if it looks good throw a line . good snaps, KY, trev and kings. Fishing is really good if you don't mind getting a bit wet. just be careful your not swimming home  Smile

Fishermans cove: High tide: off of the rocks to the left of the ramp. cast straight or you loose gear. Try big floating baits in late pm/dusk.
Low tide: walk to the water.... see drop off (goes to 8-12 meters is dived it) cast into the channels heaps of pannies hang out here.

"pony club": before the golf course existed it used to be frequented by girls on horses....we followed and found fish. head around to the back of the golf course and park up at the walkway to nowhere. Level of fitness needs to be better than average here as there is a cliff to climb down and slippy rocks to negotitate. Get there early or the best spots go fast (right at the base of the cliff then head south). High tides best. floating baits. We used to snorkel here as kids to get the summers worth of sinkers so you have been warned. Seen big Snaps, schools of KY, and big moocher kingis crusing here. Heaps of piper and other baitfish around.

Duncansby rd: Park up walk down the s**ty hill and stairs to the ledge best spot eastern point cast north or north east bottom in this spot is sand-mud so sinkers ok. Anywhere other than this I wouldn't bother too much foul within casting distant and its shallow (5meters) to 100m off. The usual fish here. Mate speared a 12.5 kg king within casting distance.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 7:38am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by climbaboy climbaboy wrote:

"pony club": before the golf course existed it used to be frequented by girls on horses....we followed and found fish. head around to the back of the golf course and park up at the walkway to nowhere. Level of fitness needs to be better than average here as there is a cliff to climb down and slippy rocks to negotitate. Get there early or the best spots go fast (right at the base of the cliff then head south). High tides best. floating baits. We used to snorkel here as kids to get the summers worth of sinkers so you have been warned. Seen big Snaps, schools of KY, and big moocher kingis crusing here. Heaps of piper and other baitfish around.

Pretty sure there are steps down there nowadays. And yeah get there early.....
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote climbaboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 8:56am
climbaboy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by JK JK wrote:

Originally posted by climbaboy climbaboy wrote:

Pretty sure there are steps down there nowadays. And yeah get there early.....

Thanks for that I haven't been down there in ages. the cliff was probably the best crowd control i can think of tho must get pretty mental down there  now....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote silstar steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 9:15pm
silstar steve View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

merry xmas to all hard out fisho's!!! happy fishing ventures to you all!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Salty Bones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 8:55pm
Salty Bones View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

was at the pony club on tuesday, fished the midday incoming, was too windy stay in touch with the bait which resorted in nothing to reel in =( lots of people fishing about 20 id say and all i saw was about 3 undersized snaps caught.

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man ta fish and he'll sit on the rocks and drink all day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hitch13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 5:11pm
hitch13 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey I went to big manly the other day but i wasn't sure were abouts i should have been fishing. I fishing on and outgoing tide. I walked out abit standing on the flat rock with the oysters or what ever they are (im not sure if you know what im talking about) and chucked my line out got a couple of bites almost got a panny but came off my hook just as i was about to pull him up. can you be more specific as to where i should go. to the left there is like a little sandy area with a tree was your spot pass that?

cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote one leg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 2:48pm
one leg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hitch13 the further too the right you walk the better also an eveing there seem's to fish better(around rocks) the long flat ledge you were on  fish's well over winter more so if a light northerly is blowing
woman who say they are equal to men ,show lack of Ambition .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fushandchips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2012 at 10:56am
fushandchips View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Pony Club help - I have the general idea but can someone help with a 'X' marks the spot ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Salty Bones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2012 at 9:37am
Salty Bones View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

there ya go....ist a big long ledge
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man ta fish and he'll sit on the rocks and drink all day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fushandchips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2012 at 11:07am
fushandchips View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks mate , took a drive by and its as simple as , cheers for reply!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote climbaboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 2:24pm
climbaboy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Does anyone know of any good squid spots in Whangaparaoa? Thinking little manly at low tide or maybe west end of big manly/ stanmore bay....
"she says..i need different shoes for different outfits...I'm appling said rule to fishing apparatus....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote southernwanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 12:36pm
southernwanderer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Salty Bones Salty Bones wrote:

there ya go....ist a big long ledge

I fish here every chance i get (when in aukland), always worth having a livebait out, but i recommend a slidebait rig if others are fishing to avoid tangles. Try and use large baits as barrcuota will take any small livies Angry and as said previously, some absolute whoppers cruise this ledge (be ready with pitch baits/popers), usually when there are good numbers of kahawai present. And have the tackle to cope, lost a 30kg+ there oct/2010! Best high tide at daylight, burley up a storm and stay till after low tide!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 6:04pm
Chaddy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I went to the ledge thats mentioned above, and noticed that the rocks to get to the ledge is quite slippery, so good shoes with heaps of grip is a must.....   Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote climbaboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 6:25pm
climbaboy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah I have seen 2 guys go for a skid and swim
"she says..i need different shoes for different outfits...I'm appling said rule to fishing apparatus....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 5:00am
Chaddy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Even my father-in-law went for a slide and landed on his arse, and what made it worse hes on wolferin too. So hes got a big bruse on his knee. All we could see is him going over the side up the top where the stairs are. so we ended up just going up the top next to the stairs Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote noobAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 9:27pm
noobAngler View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi SaltyBones, sorry to high jack this thread .. but where is this ledge you guys talking about, if you dont mind sharing this please :) is this in North Shore? cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote climbaboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 10:55am
climbaboy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by noobAngler noobAngler wrote:

Hi SaltyBones, sorry to high jack this thread .. but where is this ledge you guys talking about, if you dont mind sharing this please :) is this in North Shore? cheers

Its behind the gulf harbor golf course......

Page  <12345 6>