Wellington Boat Fishing

Page  <1 790791792793>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 3:53pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got out in the tiny 5 hour window on Saturday between the 35 knot Southerly and the 35 knot Norwester.

Just hit the harbour; this time of year is usually good for Gurnard and we were not disappointed - a relatively quick and easy 8 or so good carrots, all chunky fish in nice condition. Released a few smaller ones, and one mid-30-cm that was obviously in poor condition (post spawn?) - splotchy, thin fish. Plenty of Kahawai of all sizes interspersed to keep things interesting.

Also fluked a Snapper that I assume was lost, water temp still in the 12s.

More honking W/NW this week, which will hopefully herald the arrival of some warmer water and larger numbers of summer species...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 1:38pm
neil_cb125t View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Looks like we will be heading out on Sunday to Kapiti - forecast is great. Last trip we really struggled - got just enough for a feed but it was hard going.

Tried all our normal round the Island spots but most were full of undersize cod or sh*t parrot style fish. 

I have never pushed to hunters bank but reports are pretty good there, any tricks to get there? I only have 100m of Anchor rope and heard shes pretty deep....

Anyone tried up the coast near Otaki or Pekapeka for snapper?

Cheers 

Chappy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 4:00pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by neil_cb125t neil_cb125t wrote:

Looks like we will be heading out on Sunday to Kapiti - forecast is great. Last trip we really struggled - got just enough for a feed but it was hard going.[DIV]
[/DIV][DIV]Tried all our normal round the Island spots but most were full of undersize cod or sh*t parrot style fish. [/DIV][DIV]
[/DIV][DIV]I have never pushed to hunters bank but reports are pretty good there, any tricks to get there? I only have 100m of Anchor rope and heard shes pretty deep....[/DIV][DIV]
[/DIV][DIV]Anyone tried up the coast near Otaki or Pekapeka for snapper?[/DIV][DIV]
[/DIV][DIV]Cheers [/DIV][DIV]
[/DIV][DIV]Chappy[/DIV]

Anchoring at Hunters is a risky business unless it's at very very slack tide and you're not worried about losing your anchor. It fair honks through there.

Getting to Hunters... I'd consider driving south to the Mana bridges and launching there, shorter run in the boat and much nicer place to launch from, if you don't mind the extra 20 minutes drive in the car. Don't worry about finding it; if conditions are nice there will be 20 boats sitting on top of it.

We'll be out on Saturday and Sunday (probably?), launching from Mana. Send me a PM and if you like I'll give you my mobile and you can ring for a report on Saturday evening - warning that it might be "Didn't catch sh!t, sorry, no idea".

Depends what you want to target.... again, PM me with your general plan and I'll give you my 2c for what they're worth.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 8:32am
Silver
Silver

Roger the no go anchor at hunters - Ill send you that PM for sure.

We are driving down from Palmy, I have been asked to take a couple of dudes out as a birthday pressy. so its already a good 90-100min drive to Waikanae - but ill float the idea.

Talk soon Chappy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Spaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 4:06pm
Spaz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well, its been a looooong time since posting in here.
Anyway, been spending a lot of time on the water of late. 
Since I sold my boat and brought a Seadoo fishpro, I've got the bug to be on the briny again. The ski has done over 50hours in the last year, which is more that what i would have done on the boat. If not fishing off it, the thing is just a blast to ride.

Anyway....Tangi, good to see you've upgraded. Although I have never been out on her when she was in charter, I only heard good things about her from those that had. Hopefully she's drawing in the fish for you.

Davo - Need to catch up. 

Spent a day out and around Kapiti Island a couple of weeks ago with a mate on his Fishpro. Good times and some nice Blue Cod caught and some Tik's.

Plenty of northerly's at the moment, which is hopefully pushing down so nice warm water for summer. Keen as mustard to get amongst the Albacore this season off the Ski.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 5:47pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice cod Spaz!!! Sounds like that ski has been a great buy for you. Definitely must catch up. Ive been a wee bit distracted lately with whitebaiting but will try to give you a call sun/mon to say hi. chur
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 10:57am
John_B View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

nice ski Spaz.

Didn't the shop have any red ones?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 7:46pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bloody hell, when will these Norwesters end? I haven't had a proper fishing trip in weeks :/

Hopefully they're pushing some warm water down the coast at least?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 10:22pm
Silver
Silver

It’s coming dude. Kapitis cleaning up wed/Thursday. Wangas Friday. I’ll be hitting wangas for sure if it’s stays as forecast. Could possibly squeeZe Wednesday in kapiti way
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 2:31pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Managed to sneak out last Wednesday evening, just in the harbour.

Awesome Gurnard fishing at the moment. Heaps of good size, chunky fish around at the moment.

Took a feed and headed home, didn't even get through a whole burley bomb.

Water temp 15.1, hopefully improving.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 2:45pm
Silver
Silver

Nice - we popped out rom Wangas to Patea on friday - was like a lake all day. Water temp was 15 up that way.

Got a feed of pannie snaps and good 40-48cm Blue cods.... then a good kingi jumped on my new Kohga slider (100gram) while it was just bouncing off the bottom (18m of water)

first kingi for the boat, mates son did the honors - sounds like not many kingis are caught up that way.

Weather is looking good for kapiti and the whole W coast on friday....recon ill go out again
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 3:06pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Finally got a break from the norwesters down here.

Shot out west yesterday afternoon, baitless boat, jigging only. Got 3 kings to about 12kg in 4 drifts, then the tide died out completely and they switched off. I was primarily fishing a lighter setup, 150g jig on a 6000 size spinning reel and PE3 braid - made it a whole lot of fun compared to just skulldragging them on the heavier gear, but at the same time anything much bigger and I would have been seriously dealt to...

Water temp STILL under 16, despite what feels like 3 weeks of constant NW winds.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 10:40pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Snapper finally around in good numbers out west... got 11 in a couple of hours this evening out from Mana. Good consistent pannie kinda size, 1.5-2kg models. Pretty straightforward at this time of year... bit of current, bit of vaguely interesting terrain, lots of berley...

Water temp 18 degrees.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 3:01pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Merry christmas Wellington fishos!

Hard to miss on the snaps at the moment. Got out Christmas afternoon in the little weather window. Glassed off for about an hour, sun shining, Snapper were on the chew.

Took home another 11 pannies that will be going on various BBQs over the next day or so. Similar recipe to the previous trip, bait+berley+foul+current doing the damage.

Water temp has sneaked up another degree, hovering around 19. Nice clean water too... surely the albies can't be far away.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 9:55am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

And a happy new year!

The last week or so of southerlies has stuffed the water temp, down to 14 again (wtf) which has completely switched the Snapper off.

Got out yesterday in lovely conditions, knowing that Snapper were hard work I didn't even try for them.

Picked up 3 Kingfish on jigs, one of which was a short very fat fish that got turned into a beautiful new years eve dinner, the other two went back to grow bigger.

Shot down to Verns on the turn of the tide, took a little while to find the Tarakihi but once it was on I was picking up 2 or 3 every drift, took a dozen good sized ones - nice to give some fish away to friends and family at this time of year.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grasshoppa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 9:57am
Grasshoppa View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Heya Roz, dont count on the Albies too soon yet, water temp 13.7degrees on surface and colder at bottom/40m diving ysdy, those southerlys have smashed the temp, plenty of teri and puka around tho
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grasshoppa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 9:58am
Grasshoppa View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Grasshoppa Grasshoppa wrote:

Heya Roz, dont count on the Albies too soon yet, water temp 13.7degrees on surface and colder at bottom/40m diving ysdy, those southerlys have smashed the temp, plenty of teri and puka around tho

Oops sorry, seems posting @ same time time!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 10:07am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Grasshoppa Grasshoppa wrote:

Yep, had planned a Puka session but when I finished up with jigging I discovered all the puka rigs were at home, what a muppet... ended up bashing Tarakihi over with the electric setup, I was solo though so I'll claim that justifies it, heh.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 3:57pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Had one of our best sessions yet yesterday. Got up proper early to make the most of a 6:50am low tide. Lines in the water at 5am, first bait down was eaten in about 30 seconds by a solid Snapper, followed by about 90 minutes of fantastic fishing. Largest Snapper just under 10lb, plenty in the bin so moved on to other species. Shot down to Verns where the Tarakihi were slow but consistent, picked up half a dozen in as many drifts.

Tried a few more spots trying to mix up the species but couldn't get away from the Snapper :/

Water temp remains stubbornly low. Saw 18 at times but high 16s was probably the most common.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote amelinium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 1:44am
amelinium View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

How long must one donate to the tackle gods before catching good fish :) ?
About three weeks into owning the Mac420 and we have been gaining boating proficiency and have been donating a lot of tackle to the sea over the last while.
When we arrived at Seaview around 0830 this morn there were lots of trailers, the harbour was calm and we headed out to South Coast (note to self, trail boat to Moa Point next time).  In-shore we caught lots of undersize Blue Cod and some Perch.
Page  <1 790791792793>