Wellington Boat Fishing

Page  <1 788789790791792 793>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Blue Meanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 10:35am
The Blue Meanie View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice one on the Snaps yesterday Rozboon.
I was deliberating heading out but piked.
I'm hoping the weather will play ball the next few weeks and give me a few windows to get out....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 12:00pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Christmas and Boxing day looking like the best options out west.

I'm busy with the family on Christmas but will likely try give it heaps on Boxing Day.

Actually the latest forecast for Boxing day is for about 10 knots more than it was before, hrm :(
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 3:49pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got out in the weather window yesterday.
Originally planned to launch at Mana at about 11 and head down to Verns for some Tarakihi then maybe go wide and try for a Puka if conditions were decent.

Figured I would stop on the way out and try catch a few livebaits - I've had a few Tarakihi get hit by what I'm sure were Kingfish at Verns so I've always been keen to livebait it. However, we did kinda well on the livies, and before long we had maybe 15 or so likely looking suspects in the tank. Conditions were better than expected, and I had my jig rod onboard anyway, so the call was made to head out to Hunters.

First drop of the jig resulted in a wee 72cm Kingfish, nothing exciting but encouraging. A couple of drifts later my friend (out from the UK, never caught a Kingfish) gets a hit on the livebait that turned into about an 85cm model. Kingfish are yum so we whacked that one on the head and carried on.

It soon became apparent that there were a few coutta around, so rather than risk losing jigs I changed over to livebaiting as well. Another rat landed by my mate, followed by a maybe 15kg fish that gave his arms a decent stretching. We were running over some very decent looking sign when I got a hit on my livey that promptly screamed off a bunch of line from the Stella under heavy drag. In 25m or so this was somewhat problematic, so I gave the fish heaps and managed to start gaining line when the hook pulled :( Would have been a very decent fish based on how it was behaving.

The norwester started to get up so we headed back in. The Mana bar was actually behaving kinda like a bar for once, at almost the bottom of low tide with an opposing swell. First time I've had to sit on the back of a wave coming back in through there.

Anyway, a good feed, lots of fun and one mate very stoked on his first three Kingfish including a fairly decent one. And as a bonus, all we managed to lose was one ball sinker and a circle hook.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Con Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 4:19pm
King Con View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good report. Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Blue Meanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 4:11pm
The Blue Meanie View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

We went out wide of Hunters trying to get some groper on Boxing Day but nada apart fom scarpies and a random gemfish.
Didn't know that you get these on the west coast so pretty random...
Got some Terri's a bit closer in too so enough for a few feeds.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 11:13am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fishing been a little bit hit and miss for us lately. Usually productive harbour spots very slow; more Snapper than usual though in the harbour which is encouraging. Also catching occasional juvenile Snaps for the second summer in a row. 

Gurnard have been a mixture of super plump bright orange fish and the post-spawn models that look like the letter T because their body is so slim; mottled brown things. If you're anything like me, put these ones back, bugger all meat on them and the texture isn't as nice. Let them get fat again before eating them Wink. Pulled out a few nice grunters to around 45cm recently, though.

13.5 degrees on the south coast over the weekend. Where has all the warm water gone? Then again with the honking norwesters hopefully some good water has been pushed down the coast. 
10-15kn SE for the foreseeable future, probably means cool, dreary weather, moderately good fishing conditions, and cooling of the water temps again. Looking very much like we won't get a repeat of last year when we had 21-odd degrees behind Mana in mid-February. Lots can change in a short time though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote PeppeNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 9:20am
PeppeNZ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice stretch of settled weather ahead for the harbour..
Hope to see you many of you on the water this week.
Good luck to everybody going out and please post reports !!!

Went out myself last weekend and got my first 3 snappers (pannie size) for this season, along with a decent gurnard, 3 whopper kahawai and a few jack macks. Only undesirables were 3-4 spiny dogs/sharks, no 'coutas for once.
Water temp was just around 15 degC.
Also got a visit by a small pod of dolphins, really cool! But nothing compared to a massive ~40 dolphins pod I saw around mid December, very close to Petone wharf, of all places...

Cheers,
Peppe
Reflex Legacy 505 WT "Onda"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote King Con Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 7:51pm
King Con View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I went to Mana island last Wednesday evening , fished 2 hours, got 2 decent snapper and 6 big Gurnard all close to 50cm, not a bad way to end my xmas holidays, hope to go southcoast for Terris this weekend
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 10:13am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got out nice and early on Saturday before the inevitable arrival of half the boats in Wellington that goes with a light southerly forecast.

Heard lots of people did it fairly tough, possibly because they didn't look at the water temperature of 14 degrees and decide that inshore Snapper fishing was going to be a crap-shoot!

We shot down to Verns, Tarakihi were on the chew down there. The fish were concentrated in extremely narrow bands on the reef; once we found them we ended up repeating a very short drift and typically hooking up every time. Once we had a decent feed in the bin we pushed further south to some deep foul to try for a Puka - not a type of fishing I've done a lot of. After one drop with a 32oz sinker hanging off his spin jig setup my mate decided that was a crap idea and changed over to a Tarakihi rig which produced a really nice 53cm Tik.

Soon the heavy setup I was using got a few big nods and bent over so I went to work on that, much excitement when a large whitish-brown shape started looming from the depths, quickly changed my mind when it turned out to be a fairly bloody large shark I had just horsed out of nearly 200m. I'm really starting to see the merits of electric reels here, honour be damned, this deep water stuff is a lot of hard work.

Started to get decidedly rough, especially by small boat standards, so we made our way back in and fished some foul south of Boom that I've never fished before for a couple more Tarakihi. The tide started really honking through which made berleying tricky so we pulled the pin and headed for home.

As a side note, we covered around 50km for the day (rough estimate) and ran the motor for a good 5 hours, all on one 25L tote. Pretty good going, I reckon!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PeppeNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 9:14am
PeppeNZ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Also went out before sunrise on Saturday, remaining inside the harbour. Very nice conditions, but water relatively cold (15.7 degrees or thereabouts). Tested a few of the usual spots but did ot get much besides 3-4 kahawai. Eventually ended up in Seatoun and got 8 legal-size blue cod (releasing a bunch more just below the mark), so quite fun fishing there with continuous hook ups. Before pulling the plug, as the SE was getting stronger and stronger around 10:30-11:00, gave it a last try at a new spot, and got a kingi, just on a regular dropper rig. Really happy with that, great fight on light jigging gear and only my third kingi ever.

Question: as by-catch in Seatoun, I got a few scarlet wrasse. Threw most of them back, but kept one or two: are they any good as cutbait???

Cheers,
Peppe
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Con Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 7:25pm
King Con View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I went early Saturday to southcoast, choppy, and not many fish. Ended up back in harbour by Ward where i caught a tiny snapper, maybe 7cm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PeppeNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 9:46am
PeppeNZ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Since this thread is obviously dead, where did everybody move on to?!?!?

Cheers,
Peppe
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yellafin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 3:30pm
yellafin View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Looks like Facebook has the most posting. Lot's of slaughter photos
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 10:43am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Pretty bloody good fishing at the moment. Out yesterday, on the water before 6, first time I've had to queue for the ramp at Mana! Loaded up with livebaits and headed for Hunters, was still rough as guts, lots of southerly swell left and wind against the outgoing tide was making it stand up.

Pushed through that slop, out to Hunters by 7, already a dozen boats out there.
Nothing on the jigs but knocked over a Kingi on livebaits, yum, headed in to Pukerua bay for a bottom fish.

Got there right on the turn of the tide and it was completely dead for 45 minutes or so, then the current started running and the fish came on the bite. In about 90 minutes I put half a dozen Snaps in the bin along with some nice bycatch of Gurnard and Trevally. Then the tide started really honking and was making it hard work so I packed it up and was back at the ramp by about midday. Didn't even use a full tote tank, put 5 hours on the outboard, loving the economy.

Water temp was 19 degrees in at Puk, high 17s at Hunters. Very green water out there, but heaps of bird action and baitfish, if the water cleans up a bit surely the Tuna will be on?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote clawman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 8:26pm
clawman View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

had similair day on sat, got to the bridges for launching at 5.45am + already a wait to get in the water.tried burleying up south of mana in the 50mtre hole but no joy so down to boom for a quick dive.decided to head up to pukerua bay in about 30mtres berleyed up + got 6  panny snaps plenty of kahawai + a fat gurnard .back at home by 2.30pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Con Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 11:04pm
King Con View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

At the bridges 6am for the traffic jam, went pk bay, several quiet hours, so went north mana island for change of tide, g00d move , 6 decent snaps and 2 ky, was looking like a "down trou" there for a while, back midday, now waiting for the next weather window
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote clawman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 7:59pm
clawman View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

friday west coast is looking the place to be so where would the cunning plan be to come home with some fish.
- go to pukerua bay say 30 mtres burly up from slack tide at 6am +give it a couple of hours
-try hunters for a kingi or terakihi
- try verns for terakihi 1st thing- always found it very much hit or miss out there
- go down to ohau 189 hole or 140 mtre ledge out from makara +try for a puka
- ohau 50 mtres for some cod
so if you had to go for one never fail option what would it be ,feel free to add any other suggestions + i will tell you how we got on 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 8:59pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'd want to know what the water temperature was doing and how big the tides are...

Recently we've launched at Mana intending to go for a Snapper session and then when it's been like 14-15 degrees we've turned left instead and gone down to Verns. I've found we've had to work hard for the Tiks this summer; a good sounder and some assertive boat driving goes a long way. We've been out there slaying them in a patch the size of a tennis court while every other boat out there was catching very little.

If the water's a bit warmer, it's gotta be options 1 or 2. You can catch Cod at Ohau any time of year. If you're out there early as an early thing, I'd try load up some livebaits, boost out to Hunters for the bottom of the tide, maybe anchor up and fish for Tiks/Cod for the first maybe 90 mins of the tide until it gets going, then pull the anchor and drift for Kingis for a few hours, then as the tide turns and the Kingfish go to sleep run into Puk or off the Quarry and get set up for a Snapper session in 30-40m. Fish the first couple of hours of the tide, pack up and go home once it really starts honking and makes it hard work.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Con Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 9:22pm
King Con View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Im thinking heading out as well, if you see me, ( fi glass dominator) go the other way as the fish seem to be avoiding me lately, but hope u do well,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 5:01pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Page  <1 788789790791792 793>