Wellington Boat Fishing

Page  <1 787788789790791 793>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote King Con Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 9:08pm
King Con View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Got to mana ramp on Saturday just before everyone else turned up. Stopped for 3 hours at the 30 metre spot between mana island and plimmerton, slow fishing, some kahawai, a couple gurnard and spinys, moved deep to 48m North end mana, current was slower, after 45 min fish suddenly came on the bite , had a triple hookup, 1rod a gurnard, 2nd rod a decent snapper, strayline rig had a legal kingie, after that a steady stream of gurnard , snapper and spinys, forcast good for this weekend
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote ninjabert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 11:17am
ninjabert View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Tuna this year all seem to be around the 5 - 6kg mark. But quite plentiful. Fished the tunatastic comp and we landed 15 fish, with one winner. All north of kapiti.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 5:39am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Brad Holister Brad Holister wrote:

1.       I need to know which product is the best from the ones listed on the site?          https://bestfishfinders.website/

Your IP address returns a Bangladesh location and that address you've supplied is a dud link. for a supposed web designer that  isnt a great start. Honest mistake or spammer Brad?
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 8:30pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Absolutely stunning afternoon on the water.

Binned up on Tarakihi at Verns, once we found the fish on the reef it was just non-stop on them. Lots of quite chunky fish amongst them.

Perfect conditions on the drift, just enough tide to gently carry us up the reef. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ninjabert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 8:54pm
ninjabert View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

More diving than fishing, but I while I was out on the wellington south coast today I saw a bunch of kingfish (10+) smashing a shoal of mackerel. Plus big shoals of big Moki. and plenty of crays :) All within shore diving distance. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2019 at 5:02pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Shot down to Vern's during the brief window of calm weather this morning.

Really nice conditions but extremely quiet fishing.

Water temp still fairly high at 15.9 degrees, I know people were catching Snapper around Mana.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 8:39pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well, the conditions were nowhere near as good as forecast, but I had adjusted work around a morning's fishing so that's what we were doing.

Down to Verns once again, where we found another 10 or so boats already parked up.

Quiet at first until the tide got going a little, then fairly consistent with one or two Tarakihi on each drift. The fish were concentrated over a few very small areas of the reef, so you were either on them or got nothing at all.

Picked up a reasonable Snapper on the first drop of the day, and a big boofy Blue Cod as well to round out a good bin of fish.

Water temp still around the 14 degree mark.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 7:49pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fantastic afternoon on the south coast today, not often that you see it that calm, and the timing of the tide was just right for some nice slow drifts in deeper water.

Did quite well on Blue Cod using those new Baku Baku sliders - the annoying bycatch type fish seem to leave them alone, and the cod are actually a bit of fun on light bendy jigging gear.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote King Con Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 8:58pm
King Con View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Went on a mates boat on Southcoast for a few hours fishing, this morning12 Terris 2 Bluecod, amazing conditions and only 1km offshore
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Con Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 8:33pm
King Con View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Went fishing on the south coast, very slow, only 5 terris, was good to be out, then i noticed the cloud had a hole in it. Thats how quiet the fishing was!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 7:08pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fished the harbour for a while this afternoon. Yes, it was rough as guts, gusting over 20kn makes things interesting in a small boat.

Good feed of fat Gurnard though. Solid bite until the berley ran out. Could have thrown another bomb down but it was getting decidedly rough.

Caught a few jack macs as well, so it feels like it will be Kingfish time in the harbour soon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Con Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 9:14pm
King Con View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Went south coast after lunch , fishing slow but the boat caught a snapper out from Moa point, I was rapt, I’ve never caught a snapper on South Coast
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 10:43am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Two really good weekends fishing in a row.

23rd we hit the south coast in the afternoon, didn't drop the anchor or a berley bomb all afternoon, just drifted over promising looking sign which produced a solid bin of medium sized Tarakihi and a couple of good Blue Cod too. Tried slow-jigging briefly but the South Coast Sailfish were around in plague numbers and I gave up with that after having a set of assist hooks snipped off the jig. Probably trashed another half a dozen flasher rigs too but they cost me $2 each instead of $20 like a good slow jig.

30th we went out West with most of Wellington, we got to the ramp at 6am and got the second to last trailer park at the bridges. Plan was a jig (me) and livebait (my old man, who is not so much of a jigger) mission to Hunters. Livies proved tricky to get, we had to move around a bit to get away from the 15cm juvenille Snapper. Macs were on the smaller side too but we eventually had 9 or 10 chilling out in the tank so cruised out to Hunters over the remaining swell.

First drop dad's livie got a fairly soft take in 35m that turned into a pup Hapuka. Couple of drifts later an initially firm hit on another livie that soon went a bit limp was initially called for a Barracouta but up popped a solid 50cm JD, yum. I somehow foul hooked a Warehou on the jig and followed that up with a good eating sized Kingfish around 90cm, leaving us with a very decent mixed bag. Shot into Pukerua Bay to see if the Snapper were around, slow fishing but a couple of hours scored us two pansized Snapper and a couple of Gurnard to round things out.

Paid some attention to the fuel flow for once - Suzuki DF70A on Stabi 1550, 7.8LPH @ 18kn gentle cruise 2-up with plenty of gear, giving us a range of right on 200km from 2x 23L tote tanks (or, being able to go Mana - Hunters - Puk - Mana on about half a tank...) Not bad, I reckon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 11:02am
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Thanks for the update - that's a nice mixed bag alright - a 50cm JD is a nice one for sure and agree totally - they're great eating!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 10:11pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Harbour Kingfish are back :D

Landed a legal one this afternoon on a 1/0 Tarakihi rig - I think I hooked a Mac that almost instantly got eaten, good 10 minute or so fight that included having to pass the rod around the anchor rope before we pulled the pick and followed the fish. Glad I tie my Tarakihi rigs on 50lb and use stout little hooks.

Half a dozen chunky Gurnard were a nice bonus. Harbour water was murky as with all the recent rain but the fish didn't seem to care.

I would say the Gurnard are on the cusp of spawning, soon the mottled brown skinny as post-spawn ones will be coming aboard, I let them go.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 10:20pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Nice - thanks for the update!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 10:55am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Took a bit of a gamble on the forecast yesterday and headed out from Mana. Was blowing maybe 13-15kn but it was all off the land so not too bad. Parked up in the channel between the island and Titahi Bay, not really on the Bridge, just out on the sand.

First pannie Snapper came over the side before the berley was even in the water. Once the berley got going the fishing was hot for about an hour, sometimes getting two Snapper at a time. Nothing huge, largest for the day would have been 40ish cm. Got a very nice Gurnard at 46cm (whoops, forgot to do another Fishing Comp entry with it) and a few Kahawai that will get introduced to the Weber kettle later today after brining overnight.

Water temperature was 17.5 degrees, and the water was fairly filthy. Several other boats did well too, bloody good start to summer Snapper fishing down here. I really need to do more slow jigging though, pumping 9kg of berley out in a session does start to add up a little :/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 11:37am
John_B View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

One of the big problems with slow jig snapper fishing in Wellington is having faith in it. Same with softbaits. So easy to park up, get a burley trail going and often do pretty well with pillies etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 9:12pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by John_B John_B wrote:

One of the big problems with slow jig snapper fishing in Wellington is having faith in it. Same with softbaits. So easy to park up, get a burley trail going and often do pretty well with pillies etc.

Last summer we headed up Kapiti way and got a dozen solid snaps up to about 6kg in as many drifts, all on slow jigs, either Kabura or Inchiku. I know the methodology works, I just need to work out more areas where it's productive :)

It's surprisingly good on the Blue Cod on the south coast too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 10:30pm
John_B View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

My biggest snapper have been caught on softbait and I’ve caught plenty on slow jigs. Rarely head out without bait however. More restful when you’re knackered.
Page  <1 787788789790791 793>