Wellington Boat Fishing

Page  <1 785786787788789 793>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 10:49am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Metal Float Metal Float wrote:

What techniques do people use to avoid shags taking baby BC when returned? When the shags turn up I fill a bucket and keep them alive (I guess illegally) until I can distract them with a Wrass which they don't seem to like to eat. 

Throw a piece of bait or something at them then slip the cod over the other side of the boat. Otherwise I try to fill them up on those pinky banded wrasse things (we call them Pigfish though I suspect they aren't) and the spiky little reefy things (Scarpies?)

It does kinda annoy me when I let a 30cm+ cod go and one of the greedy buggers wolfs it down.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Polyfest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 8:20pm
Polyfest View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I've heard of people dropping them down a drain pipe with the bottom end held a metre or so below the surface. Apparently they stand a better chance of getting back to the bottom if the shags don't see them being dropped in the water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Con Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 9:05pm
King Con View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ive had the same problem , but i throw a bucket of water at the shag or squirt them with a water bottle. They hate it and leave. ( usually)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 11:38pm
Metal Float View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I've found them to be persistent at times including following when moving spots (+500m) and ignoring oars and buckets of water. I've heard of using a tub and might give it a go. Bloody annoying and high mortality when you have 6 of the buggers around you!   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Ohau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 12:26pm
Ohau View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Metal Float what I do now is use the long water pistol called Agua-Zooka.  It has a long range.  When they get to the boat I squirt them and when they surface squirt them again.  It usually takes three times and they fly away.  As there is normally a wind if they sit out the back we squirt up in the air and the water drops fall on them and they too fly away. The pistol is 600mm long and holds a fair bit of sea water
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Con Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 11:11am
King Con View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Fished the harbour yesterday. Great fishing. Untold red cod, 1 kahawai, and half dozen gurnard. So was busy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote R2D2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 9:26pm
R2D2 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Good numbers of small to medium sized terrys north of Plimmerton today. Lots of boats out on a glorious day. No snapper though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ninjabert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 7:29pm
ninjabert View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great day out today - plenty of blue cod out off the south coast. Plus a bonus of a nice big trev. Another week or two and it might be worth chucking the tuna lures out if fishing the west coast. Temps seem to be rising - windy is reporting 17 degrees in close and 16 out a bit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ninjabert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 7:23pm
ninjabert View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Got out on Saturday morning and did quite well over in Fitzroy bay. Some quite big grunters - two 49cm and one 50cm. No sharks for once, though I heard at the boat ramp that others got plagued.
Gurnard were all caught quite shallow - around 13 - 15m.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 5:03pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nice one Ninja! Good feed there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Con Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 8:39pm
King Con View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Fished north of fishermans table Saturday. Lots of ky
5 gurnard and no snapper, I think they might be being ambushed up Mokau way.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 3:57pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Seems like it's hard to miss on the Snapper at the moment. We picked up five in about an hour without making any particular effort to find them, just parked in 30m or so with some current and berleyed up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ninjabert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 6:16pm
ninjabert View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice Rozboon! Heading out to Puk bay for a quick mish tomorrow to stock up for the week. Water temps are really up. Tuna must be here soon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 10:42am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by ninjabert ninjabert wrote:

Nice Rozboon! Heading out to Puk bay for a quick mish tomorrow to stock up for the week. Water temps are really up. Tuna must be here soon.

Any joy out there yesterday?

On the topic of water temps, when we were retrieving the boat at the little ramp in Pukerua Bay I noted the water temperature was 20.4 degrees. Admittedly just in the little bay there but still!

Temp was 17.8 on the outgoing tide and 18.4 on the incoming out at 32m or so.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote ninjabert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 9:59am
ninjabert View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nah...Puk bay was quiet. Nothing aside from a blind eel Dead
Got a feed of cod and ky off plimmerton though so all good.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 12:08pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Love a hagfish!

The spot we were in was good on the outgoing tide but went completely dead other than the odd KY on the incoming, what depth and tide did you end up in?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ninjabert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 7:46pm
ninjabert View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

We anchored up in about 30m, berley'd up and tried squid, tuna and fresh trevally bait. Nothing aside from the eel. No bites and bugger all on the fishfinder. We were fishing the incoming tide (late start).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 10:11am
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

merry christmas welly fishos!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 8:16am
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yeah merry christmas, tight lines to all. stay safe.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Spaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 9:58pm
Spaz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Seasons greetings all.

Well, long time since I’ve posted here. A long hiatus!!!!
Recently sold my Warrior due to lack of use....however felt I needed a change of tact to reinvigorate my fishing mojo.
So, with the Warrior sold, I went off in a different direction and brought a Sea-doo Fish Pro. Yes, the first ski manufactured with an emphasis on fishing.
Picked it up Christmas Eve and first play was on Christmas morning in the pouring rain....a hell of a lot of fun👍.
Yesterday was the first fishing mission, which started of within the harbour. We were two up, with my son coming along, and landing the first fish (a smooth hound).
Then nosied out the heads and tried bearing head and caught a good feed of cod and Tiks.

Page  <1 785786787788789 793>