Wellington Boat Fishing

Page  <1 764765766767768 793>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 12:17pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We had a nice morning on the water on the 30th, started the day off targeting Kingis and picked up a reasonable one ~15kg on the third drift, shot back to the bridge to try for some snapper with the 20 or so other boats around there, we were catching nothing but Kahawai and Barracouta when a pack of big green fish followed one of the coutta up, kept the coutta in the water to keep them interested while we rigged a big bait and biffed it at them, the result being another Kingi on board slightly larger than the first. Decided that was more than enough fish for our 2 families so pulled the pick and on our way home by 9:30.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ninjabert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 4:37pm
ninjabert View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Headed out looking for tuna on Tuesday - none caught but the blue water behind kapiti was 17+ degrees. Caught plenty of fish though - snaps, blue cod, tiks, gurnard and a plague of ky. Nice to see the orcas too. Pity about the rain - got completely soaked...need better rain gear
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 12:17pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Had a beaut couple of hours on the harbour yesterday before the southerly front came in, got 5 carrots (1 went back, legal but wtf do you do with a 26cm Gurnard) in pretty quick succession, nice to be on the water and yum tea to boot.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 3:12pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

can anyone recommend a charter operator that launches out of ngawi? got a mate who's looking to do one in feb with 6 or so others...cheers

ps nice one rozboon. harbour looked mint till just after lunch
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Buttsie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 1:07pm
Buttsie View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys
Just back from 2 weeks in Napier and took the boat. Got the intel on the local hotspots (Otoio Bluff, Springs, Razorback ridge, 90 foot gurnard etc) and burned **** loads of gas. Bloody tough fishing with a few terriers and snaps each trip. The locals are saying the bay has been tough for the last few years and they are right. Whilst out had purseiners dragging past us hoovering up everything. Anyway glad to be back and with another week off looking forward to getting into it here. Is the trench turning up anything at the minute?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 3:49pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hit the water before first light on Saturday, got a dozen Gurnard between 2 of us - anything under 30cm went back so 5 gurnard each made for more nice dinner between 2 families! Caught a bunch of Kahawai too, some small (prime livebait size), some quite large which went home to be smoked.
Caught a surprising number of mackerel too... we popped one out as a livey but didn't have any balloons and after it took a lap of the boat and made one epic tangle it got turned into strip baits :P
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Con Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 4:54pm
King Con View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

went to pk bay Heaps Ky 5 gurnard , this one almost 52 cm, and no snapper, does anyone know where they have gone
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Scotty B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 5:44pm
Scotty B View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Rozboon, I saw you coming in at the ramp on Sat, i went out and got 11 Tics at the WK, and put some livies out back but got taxed by Mr Barrie

King  Con, we went out to Puk bay this morning and only got 5 Snaps and a big grunter etc..The boat near to us got a 16.5lb Snap on his slow gig......rumor has it that DK caught all the rest yesterdayBig smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote DeKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 8:41pm
DeKay View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We had success in 22m with 10kg of burley in a heavily weighted wobbly pot. Consistent bite for most of the outgoing tide peaking just before slack water.

Not too many kahawai which was nice. 3 gurnard. 1 Trev on the little jitterbug in a ky work up. The jitterbug also caught the biggest snap. Best 8 snaps around 3kg.

Tried strayline with little reward. Hard trying to weight correctly in the strong current.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 1:14pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Scotty B Scotty B wrote:

Rozboon, I saw you coming in at the ramp on Sat, i went out and got 11 Tics at the WK, and put some livies out back but got taxed by Mr Barrie

King  Con, we went out to Puk bay this morning and only got 5 Snaps and a big grunter etc..The boat near to us got a 16.5lb Snap on his slow gig......rumor has it that DK caught all the rest yesterdayBig smile

Wee Ramco with the 4-stroke Yammy?

Nice nice, I haven't actually fished that spot but I've heard it's good for tiks.

Back to work this week but bloody keen to get out West and chase some more Kingis :D
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 7:22am
Kyle View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all

I have just moved back from the rat race, after three years. Just wondering how the fishings been, and if all the old haunts are still going well, Verns,Hunters,Tarapunga etc.

Also is anyone here a member of Mana Cruising Club? I just want to kno wheher it gets as busy as the public ramp there, and also if the ramp is an all tide ramp, as I need @ 700mm to float my boat off the trailer.

Cheers guys.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yellafin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 3:23pm
yellafin View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Kyle

Still plenty of fish at those spots.

Mana is an all tide ramp but can get bllody busy on a fine day. Best to get there early for a park.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote temarorofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 4:49pm
temarorofly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey dude,
cheers for that, sweet boat should be ready by late feb so hope to see you all out there, I'm the old tired looking inboard v22, red and white with bimini top lol.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote John_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 11:56am
John_B View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

hard to deal with when you feel like throttling the poor buggers who have to present the weather reports on tv etc which forecast wind and wind and wind, but - as has been said many times before - at least it offers some protection to the well region fishery

pour me another one nurse

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote temarorofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 12:12pm
temarorofly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I hear ya bro, only so many re runs of fishing shows u can watch.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 8:38pm
Metal Float View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Finally got my first WN fish of the spring/summer. Yes, there's plently of hungry kingis in the harbour! Great fun and good to run the boat before going out Sth or West - though this might be a while awhile given the bl**dy forcast.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote King Con Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 7:39am
King Con View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Went out last nite on a mates boat , fished out from mana, good to be fishing again after the weather delay of 2 weeks, we got a few gurnard and 5 snapper , enough for a feed, lost 3 snaps at the boat, 1 decent size snapper was lost , that was only a mouth full to a fairly large shark that came up from below the boat, it was gone in a split second,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote snoteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 11:49am
snoteel View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Metal Float Metal Float wrote:

Yes, there's plently of hungry kingis in the harbour!

For sure...hooked 1 on my 8kg set and as I'm fighting it my live bait goes off....keep fighting while I listen to the clicker on the Saltiga beside me screaming....lol....then it dies...i boat the 1 I have been battling (95cm) and take the Saltiga set-up out of the rod holder...I give it about half a dozen winds and it goes mental...a couple of wraps round the burley rope but managed to win...#2 went 110cm...both released...kinda hard to do solo...went home with a feed of carrots...used 3 litres of gas...gotta love wellington harbour!!!!!!
if your boyfriend doesn't like fishing....you have a girlfriend
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bentbutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 9:51pm
bentbutt View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Impressive snoteel
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 11:52pm
Metal Float View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice work and great fun especially working out one's solo systems. We just need the weather to settle down now.  
Page  <1 764765766767768 793>