Just found my first ever reel I bought...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote #Eight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just found my first ever reel I bought...
    Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 10:19pm
#Eight View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hunting around in a box of stuff that my parents gave me, and in the bottom was my first ever reel I bought myself.  I still remember when and where, it really wasn't that long ago...

1992- Perth, Australia (I was on a trip visiting relatives)

Reel- Penn Seaboy #85

I must have used it only a handful of times, as I soon found out that boat fishing often made me puke.Dead

I'm sure some of you old sea dogs have a better story than that. Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 1:36am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

funny as, make your own reel back then #Eight, hunk of wood with 40lb wrapped around it normally something like 60-75mts,
drop your weight/bait to the bottom 30-40mts down two wraps around the seat and wait for it to start flying around under the seat... grab the line haul it in and that was how it was done,
no drag/ no guides/ no handles/ absolutely nothing to corrode unless you left a nail in the wood by accident...  just one piece/no moving parts except when it was fly around under the seat...
oh bring back the good old days...

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 6:15am
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

no reel line on a stick then roll out line over ground and swing line around head to get up speed and then let go out she went . one funny story was i was about 9 or 10 and swinging the line around my head -remember it went line-hook-sinker or rock , well this silly bugger was there a older guy with his mates and not looking and walked into my line and it was at high speed , well wrapped around his head and hook went into his ear. i was in the sh-t and when we got the hook out i bailed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 6:16am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Eric
Did you wind it on number 8 style or just round n round?
That was the way all the experianced people fished the Kaipara.

My first REEL was also the penn seabuy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 6:17am
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

always no 8
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 2:06pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Originally posted by Barrie Barrie wrote:

Eric

yeah mate number 8 was the way to go when wanting to store it but otherwise dropped on the floor when hauling in fish, i doubt a reel would have lasted long back then as most fish were 8-16lb and you would land around 100 to 130 snapper a trip.... that was mainly on the worm beds by Tiri back in the 60-70s....

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 3:11pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My 1st reel was a sea-boy too. Then progessed onto a FLASH Penn Longbeach 65! Woah! (at least, I think it was a 65.)
In fact, I am sure it too is around here somewhere......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dohboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 3:19pm
Dohboy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Lethal Lethal wrote:

Eric

yeah mate number 8 was the way to go when wanting to store it but otherwise dropped on the floor when hauling in fish, i doubt a reel would have lasted long back then as most fish were 8-16lb and you would land around 100 to 130 snapper a trip.... that was mainly on the worm beds by Tiri back in the 60-70s....

You 2 are showing you age lolLOL
www.acewash.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 3:32pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Dohboy Dohboy wrote:

Originally posted by Lethal Lethal wrote:

Eric

You 2 are showing you age lolLOL

Careful young fulla
You may just get a clip around the ears
opps
sorry, sent to the naughty corner
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 3:42pm
otter View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

if only you guy would have put some back .....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 3:57pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by otter otter wrote:

if only you guy would have put some back .....

Dont forget that in those days there were plenty and we thought they grew really quickly as well.
Now the real problem is that your parents should not have bred as then there would have been less people to fish and take a meal. The problem wasnt with what we took, the problem is that there are now too many people.
Now I hope your saving all your lawn clippings as in another 20 years you will be making your own gas to drive your car and your kids will not understand how you could ever be so waste full and simply leave it to rot.

Times change Otter and what was OK then may not be now just as what you think is OK now may not be in another 20 or 50 years
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote roddholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 5:17pm
roddholder View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

went to waihau bay on hols, feb 1961. saw some small kingis off wharf and we went back to opotiki and bought a surfcaster and also a kilwell solid glass rod with 2 eyes, and a pen 65wide.

a couple of days later my brother-in-law and i walked around to the cape rocks. we caught some snapper and maomao in a gut in the rocks. we caught sight of a HUGE kingi, it swam up into the gut and as it swam back ouy i dropped a maomao in front of its nose with a 6/0 hook in it. the kingi hit it an decided to get back to its mates. i had 50lb mono on the reel and it spooled me in about 30secs flat.

we respooled the reel and went out with another camper into the bay on a boat about three days later.
hooked up a snapper and found it had a line wrapped round the new line. pulled in about 100 m then realised it was attached to a large fish and a clump of kelp. yep it was my line and we handlined the kingi into the boat. it weighed 92 1/2lbs.

i still have that reel and it still catches fish.
she was only a fishermans daughter, but she reeled at the sight of my rod!.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 5:42pm
tas-tackle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yes....   ye olde green braid on a dog bone piece of wood, wound no 8 style... nylon traces and 2 big hooks and a chunk of lead on the end...  those were the days on the Florence Kennedy over on the Coromandel coast and Barrier... We used to catch so many fish and put them into old hessian sacks.. Sell them on the Princess Wharf as many people waiting to buy and would easily get our 10 shillings back for the boat trip which we would put away for the next trip, make a few bob on the side to spend and take a huge feed home to mum...  Remember the huge pot of tea and the ginger nut biscuits.... Great fun and introduction into fishing as a 15-16 year old...

http://www.tas-tackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BeachedAsBro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 10:18pm
BeachedAsBro View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That's nothing Wink... my grandad lived on the Clevedon river halfway between Duders and the township 70 years ago and caught a 50lb kingie with his bare hands that had got itself caught in the mangroves chasing baitfish... next....
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish caught will we realise we can't eat money.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 10:21pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

that was one helluva boat *fisher*, as a kid i spent some awesome days out on her...
not many owed a boat back in those days, so if you could afford to go on a charter you would certainly catch a few...

for those that have know idea what it was like here is a photo from yesteryear...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 3:52pm
Titanium
Titanium

Lethal... you were probably on the other side of the boat when we were there...:}} 
we always barged in on the side so the lines didn't go under the boat
Old fairmile... rollie pollie.. in the bad seas... spent my formative fishing years on that boat and also surf casting with self made 14 foot rangoon cane rods up at Pouto point.. the lagoon at the top of Muriwai  and a few other spots we found on the inner kaipara.. when we couldn't go out on the Florence, we would head to the breakwater blacK house at Mechnics Bay for a feed with our string lines and big washers for sinkers..   AGHHHHH the memories....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Weighmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 4:46pm
Weighmaster View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Diawa Sealine 300 - gold in colour
GS 6                       - gold in colour

trolling one knot faster, one degree off course, is where we should have been yesterday? or !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote A C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 6:58pm
A C View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by BeachedAsBro BeachedAsBro wrote:

That's nothing Wink... my grandad lived on the Clevedon river halfway between Duders and the township 70 years ago and caught a 50lb kingie with his bare hands that had got itself caught in the mangroves chasing baitfish... next....

That's nothing - we used to eat a cup of hot gravel before we went eeling in the Whau creek, then we would get up half an hour before we went to bed and pull the hot rocks from the hangi bare hand, after that we would go and preach in New Lynn square about our horrid premenition of jet ski thingies in the future .......... next........ Confused 
Aye-Aye cloth eyes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 7:50pm
Titanium
Titanium

you too huh:  Big smile ???