best smoked marlin ever,by bradley smoker

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote batfastard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best smoked marlin ever,by bradley smoker
    Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 2:57pm
batfastard View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

we catch our share of marloons........and kill 2 or three a year.at a cost of around $300 to $600 to smoke each one.

This year has been tuff for us money wise and have not spent many days chaseing marlin.But i found my self hooked up to one last saturday it was my good mate johny two cocks on the rod,hes been on at least 20 fish on the good ship.But not managed to get one in the boot.So after 6 years of trying with us we finaly get one along side the boat,i tag it and now johnny want to kill it .All i can think is where am i going to find $200 for half the smoking.so we now have this fish in the boot.johnny is resetting the gear and im sitting on the bridge thinking whats the cheapest way to smoke this puupy.i cast my mind back to the fish net xmas do and kezza said if any one gets a marloon he was keen to try and smoke it,so a tx to boulder gave me kezza mobile and he was keen as to put a whole marloon through his bradely.
So we called up to see bam bam and get 100ltr chilley bin filled with salt ice<$20>then back to the boat open the new stanely knife.We layed the marlin on its side and slashed it into 100mm chunks then ran the stan knife down the center of the fish then ran or big knife up the back bone and off came the chunks .Easy as.So took the marlin out to keezas place out in west wood.Kezza explaned how easy it would be .The bradely way.He sprinkeled some bradely flavour product on it .He then said he would chill it down and then wash the stuff off and dry,then 3 or 4 hours in the smoker and it would be sweet as.I said please can you make the fish not soggy and mushy.To be honest it thought what ever!!! how could it be that easy.
Then got a tx what seemed like the middle of tuesday night but it was 6 wed morn, but it was still dark.the tx said all done bro can i have 4 bits for me and i will hook up with you at 10 at the silverdale rugby club.I picked it up passed over 4 boxes of lion red that were on special for $16.45 and in return was given my chilly bin of smoked marlin.Rushed home to try some and WHAMOOO what a wicked taste.it was firm as.Not to salty wicked colour and the best smoked marlin ive ever tasted. The feed back from others who have tasted it was the same.The thing that imprest me with the bradely was that your are able to control the heat and smoke with the flick of a switch.Kezza got it all in in 2 loads .big bits first and smaller bit second so there where no over or under done fish.Ive paid a lot of good money to so called experts that smoke marlin for a living with some avrage to rubbish results.This is with out doubt the best smoked marlin we have ever tasted.Cheers kezza for smokein that fish.
So ive gone from a sceptic to a real beleaver of these smokers...so ive started to put $25 a week into a jar so i can buy my own magic elactric smokin machine.i only need to smoke three marlin to pay for it.why wouldnt you buy one of those bradleys
As my wife catches bigger fish than me, does that make me a bad fisherman or a great skipper.......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BeachedAsBro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 3:12pm
BeachedAsBro View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Send this to NZ Fishing News letter and get yourself a bottle of Captain Morgan to wash it down Wink
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish caught will we realise we can't eat money.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 3:35pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

More than welcome Mike....glad you and Zara enjoyed the results....Thumbs Up...and thanks for the beers as well...appreciated but not expected.

We smoked up some kahawai last night at Kingfish Lodge for Matt's Apprentice Eliminations and the 5-star chef thought it was some of the best smoked fish he has ever had as well!

Once your jar is full enough mate - more than happy to come over and run you through the process....it really is smoke-by-numbers thou and I'm sure you'll take to it like a duck to water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 3:47pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Shot fulla's Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Torpedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 3:50pm
Torpedo View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Choice. All the better that two cocks got it, a well earnt fish thats for sure Thumbs Up 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 3:55pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

looks like Kerren will be making a living by giving smoking lessons eh 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 4:53pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Any time Barrie....if anyone wants to see a Bradley in action I understand Mark will be demo'ing at WS Lauries this Saturday.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 5:02pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sounds yummy!!!!Clap
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 5:22pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

......just made a pie from the marlooon...the family honed it out hard....delish!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 5:28pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It's taken me years for my wife to eat smoked marlin - we had some from the smokers up at St Pauls dome - Tangaroa??
He charges $4/kg!! Very nice though.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote K_N_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 8:43pm
K_N_B View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Kezza did you just use the cure without any salt?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 9:03pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah mate...Mapple dry rub....about a lvl teaspoon per chunk, leave to cure for at least 12hours, rinse chunks in fresh water to remove excess cure....dry chunks with paper towels and into preheated Bradley at 60 for an hour or so with out smoke, dry chunks a second time, add perfered glaze/flavour....in this case...mapple flavoured syrup....cook/smoke to your preference....enjoy!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 9:08pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

good stuff kerran I hear it was nice, well done for doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 9:37pm
Phats View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good on you Kezz, thats high praise right there from Badfastard

Cant say enough about my Bradley smoker

The after sales support is second to none

The endless range of product that can be produced from it is delicious.

The ability to set it and leave it, leaving you free to do other things is incredible

Bambi Bier Sticks

Xmas Ham

Salami, Jerky, Bier sticks and Pastrami

Bradley is more than a fish smoker Thumbs Up

Got to catch me a Marlin now to smoke in it

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote batfastard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 9:54pm
batfastard View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

phuk you phats.Big smileim on reduced food intake as mrs b says she loves me tomuch so does not want me to have a heart attack.seeing those pics has sent me to the fridge,if i drop dead tonight mrs b will come looking for youOuch
As my wife catches bigger fish than me, does that make me a bad fisherman or a great skipper.......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 10:03pm
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

Wicked kezza, that will earn you some good ******* coupons! 

Better go and get me another one next week, ive finished of the bradley shed now, it needs a work out!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bluecoraldiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 10:09pm
bluecoraldiver View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Every household in NZ should have a Bradley. Wink

....and a Cobb BBQ - I made the best roast chicken in my Cobb last night - I could not stop eating it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 11:09pm
Phats View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by batfastard batfastard wrote:

phuk you phats.Big smileim on reduced food intake as mrs b says she loves me tomuch so does not want me to have a heart attack.seeing those pics has sent me to the fridge,if i drop dead tonight mrs b will come looking for youOuch

My bad Embarrassed
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote legand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 11:47pm
legand View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I scored a Bradley smoke generator on TM wanted to do soomething a bit different and after a bit of surfing the net knocked up this bad boy a WBS = wine barrel smokerBig smile 

Basicly fitted up the bradley unit chucked a $20.00 hotplate from briscoes in it, perked some old oven racks and was away smokin....
figured it would take a few cracks to get it dialed in but nope first run and by far the best bacon, fish, cheese etc etc ive ever tasted. runs at 20-60deg depending on the heat setting you dial in so wont hot smoke / cook at the mo needs a bigger hot plate.  My WBS does not have all the timers and thermostats etc like on the full monty version but does all I need and produces the goodiesSmile 

PS the maple cure and bradley smoker are a deadly combo, even if you cant afford a bradley right now I would recomend getting a tub of cure and having a play IMHO its definately a big step up from the old salt and brown suger

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Legend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 10:53am
Blue Legend View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Gotta have a BRADLEY fridge, to store the BRADLEY food LOL

Page  12>