DIY Smoke Generator

Page  <1 345
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 4:35pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My mates new ( last night) house smoker. He uses Rimu, Matai and Kahikutea.... Not sure how well it will sell, but the mobile smoking van could be a go!

"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 2:58pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well I was inspired by you guys and sick of using my large outdoor smoker. Needed something closer to home.
Took a leaf from Farmer Browns and started with tin cans.
Final effort gives a great result.
Hopper from a S/S toilet brush holder, S/S pipe with an internal pipe from a car aerial also S/S and a pump I bought from the Boat show for a live bait tank that runs on 2 D batteries for $5.00 bucks.
Works a treat, Sorry no photos not savy enough yet.
Thanks again guys.Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xsspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 2:38pm
xsspeed View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

After some half starts and stops, I have decided to make rather than buy,

Is this the general idea of the 'venturi', to induce air from the hopper?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xsspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 3:29pm
xsspeed View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Agh, I drew that before looking back over page 4 dammit
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 7:48pm
tas-tackle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hole for ash / ignition needs to be more central and higher...  One on each side...
Pipe from air pump needs to go directly to bottom of venturi pipe...  A 4mm hole drilled facing outwards is all that's required....
The wood chip bin needs to be about 75 x 75....

http://www.tas-tackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote got no boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 10:17am
got no boat View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Does anyone have a nice looking pipe that I can buy of them? Same size as mentioned above. Would want pics to look at before I buy. I want something that looks nice as I already have a working setup, just want to bling it out a bit.
If a 6 was a nine... I don't mind
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote H8_4DS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 7:23pm
H8_4DS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

got no boat - you dont need pretty looking tube. Any tube will do. Just paint it like i have doneWink

From this -

to this -

$10 for a spray can of high heat Matt Black exhaust paint.

The plate bolts to the side of the smoker to help with weight despersion of the smoker and pump. the pump also gets fixed to the plate, so its an all in one setup. I have to go buy another pump cause my one is being used on the bloody fish tank now LOL

Formally Known as nvmyvl
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 5:22pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

sounds like a lot of guys blowing smoke up each others arse
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2011 at 11:07am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I had a go at making one that doesn't need an engineering workshop or much materials. I used an upmarket Vodka container as the burning chamber but basically anything with a lid will do. This thing really produces a lot of smoke.

Basically, it is a copper tube through the top of the vodka container with a couple of ½” holes towards the rear of the pipe. A champagne cork was drilled/gouged out to fit the main pipe into. Then the whole cork was drilled to fit a much smaller tube (I used a crochet knitting needle which has a hole about the size of a matchstick) This tube mouth was about ½” ahead of the holes in the main tube to create a vortex with a vacuum behind which sucks the smoke out of the burning chamber. An air bubbler (the kind you use to keep live baits alive in a bucket or an aquarium bubbler) is attached to the outside end of the smaller tube as it protrudes from the cork. A 1” diameter air hole is made in the side of the can at the bottom to be able to ignite the saw dust..

Half fill with saw dust and ignite with the air pump turned on and away she goes. I ran for 2 hours last night on a couple of handfuls of saw dust.

Page  <1 345