DIY Smoke Generator

Page  123 5>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote H8_4DS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIY Smoke Generator
    Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 8:51pm
H8_4DS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

So i decided to try my luck at making a home made smoke generator for my biltong box.

just a cheaper form of a smoke generator till i can afford a Bradley one.

So i started off with the following supplies.

then i drilled a hole thru the lid as so and fitted a brass fitting. i worked out that the brass fitting was not needed in this tin as it has a lid with a second insert, but put it in so it was more rigid.

then made up the smoke spout. this was made out of a 15mm copper 'T' section and a couple of pieces of 15mm copper pipe. one end of the copper pipe had a venturi pipe put in it to produce the vaacum for the smoke box and top tube.

Put 3 holes in the base of the tin (the ones in the middle). these are for air flow into the tin. the other 3 are for bolts to go thru to hold the tin off of the ground.

also i put a hole in the side at the bottom for lighting the saw dust inside the tin. installed the bolts in the bottom of the tin and installed the smoke spout. ( even tho there are no feet on it here)

Air hose from pump goes in the end with the silver pipe.

I first used a small aquarium air pump and it only pumped about 160 litres of air an hour. was not powerful enough. I now have a pump which pumps out 400 litres an hour and has high, medium, and low settings for air flow.

I start the pump on high and turn it to medium once the smoke flow is flowing.

This works well enough to fill a 44 gallon drum up with thick smoke in about 1 minute.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 9:08pm
smizz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

looks mean... i made 1 a similar size....made the mistake of buying a smaller pump like the first you used.. have you given it a full burn?how long does it last?
When shooting a mime, don't use a silencer or his friends will hear you.
If camera lenses are round why do the pictures come out rectangle?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote H8_4DS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 9:16pm
H8_4DS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

i ran the tin about 1/5th full and it lasted well over an hour. i did some mussels and they were delicious.

Would of only been maybe 3 handfuls of manuka in the tin max
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 9:28pm
tas-tackle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey Blair...  great ingenuity made from a few simple parts... I have a stainless steel smoker similar in size to a bradley which uses gas heat under a cast iron hot box to produce the smoke... It works well but I want to produce a lot more smoke so want to make a similar device as yours and drill a hole in the side and mount/bolt it on it externally..  Give me the best of both worlds... heat and more smoke...

http://www.tas-tackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote H8_4DS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 9:38pm
H8_4DS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey John,

I have a mate that came round tonight who is a stainless welder. He is gonna make me up a sample the same design as the "smoke cannon" from trademe. but a bit different so i dont get in trouble hahaha.

When its made up i could flick it up to you for testing if you want. Then he could make some more for me as well. I will check that it works first tho as this one i have already built took a bit of fine tuning to get running right

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Screaming Reels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 10:00pm
Screaming Reels View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by nvmyvl nvmyvl wrote:

Hey John,

I have a mate that came round tonight who is a stainless welder. He is gonna make me up a sample the same design as the "smoke cannon" from trademe. but a bit different so i dont get in trouble hahaha.

When its made up i could flick it up to you for testing if you want. Then he could make some more for me as well. I will check that it works first tho as this one i have already built took a bit of fine tuning to get running right

I made a copy of the 1 of Trade Me also kinda works you need a venturi in the outlet tube which you dont see in the photos. Hope that little bit of advice helps.
The Car Doctor Mangakino
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 10:40pm
Titanium
Titanium

magic.. Thumbs Up  save me a heap of work.. Yes if the design was slightly different there shouldn't be a problem..  when ya coming up for a fish Big smile ??  chuck a few soft baits around...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Double Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 8:37pm
Double Shot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey John

Mate I've got the smoke cannon and she pumps so much smoke it's scarey, put it this way the smokehouse is 1m x 1m x 2m....I've got the same pump as in the picture, vari speed is good...
70ml of 90deg C water pressurised through 13g of roasted finely ground tamped coffee for 25sec's to make a distinguishing sensory hit called a Double Shot    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 5:03pm
Titanium
Titanium

Craig.. there were two smoke cannons originally, a small and a larger model,Which do you have and are you using only one...??...
You've seen my smoker which is 600 x 600 x 1200 so a smaller unit would suffice for it...
Plans are afoot as you can see so I can produce smoke and heat from the cast iron unit over the gas fire and I can produce  more smoke as required using both the units..  Will soon get the right combination with some experimentation...  Yup.... vari speed will be used...  just looking for one now...  learn from other folks experimentation's     Big smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 5:19pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by nvmyvl nvmyvl wrote:

then made up the smoke spout. this was made out of a 15mm copper 'T' section and a couple of pieces of 15mm copper pipe. one end of the copper pipe had a venturi pipe put in it to produce the vaacum for the smoke box and top tube.

Cool post. Can you explain about the venturi tube fitting please (where is it fitted) and where did you source the air pump please?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote H8_4DS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 8:39pm
H8_4DS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I will pull it apart tomorrow and post some photos of the setup.

My mate came around tonight and we had a good talk about how to build a new setup that would work better. Have come up with an idea in which the smoke cannon and pump are all in one unit. will see how the design comes out once the proto type is built.

Screaming Reels - what does the inside of the smoke cannon that you have look like? does the venturi tube just blow straight down like the exterior pipe suggests it does? is there anything that stops the embers from falling into the base base tube?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Screaming Reels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 8:54pm
Platinum
Platinum

I just took photos of the 1 on TM and made a copy. Mine works just but needs a venturi down the outlet pipe. I aint yet put a venturi in mine just been to busy and it still in boot of the car. I am sure if we all put our heads together we should get 1 that pumps out heaps.
I have come to the conclusion that the air pump works best when aimed at outlet pipe seems to draw more suction that is why it needs a venturi in outlet pipe.
I will get mine out at work tomorrow and take some photos.
The Car Doctor Mangakino
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Screaming Reels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 8:55pm
Platinum
Platinum

Tagit i just went to a fish shop and got me a aqaurium pump about $15.00 from memory
The Car Doctor Mangakino
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Screaming Reels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 9:00pm
Platinum
Platinum

The Car Doctor Mangakino
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 4:56pm
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote H8_4DS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 1:25pm
H8_4DS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ok here goes

Tagit, the theory behind the venturi, is that it will produce a vacuum there fore increase the airflow. this air comes from behind the venturi tip. Because the air comes from inside the tin where the wood chips are smouldering, then smoke is pulled from the tin. also the vacuum creats an airflow thru the holes in the bottom of the tin and keeps the chips smouldering.

Here are some photos of the final venturi tube and setup for the top of the tin. I will be getting my mate to weld up a new chamber as this old coffee tin is a but light weight. The new one will be made from stainless tube.

These are all the parts. As you can see there is not alot to it.

This is the venturi tube that I turned up from brass.

Venturi tube pressed into the "T" Section

This is the back side of the venturi tube. the hole is just big enough to push a standard clear pvc tube that comes with the air pump into.

This shows how far out the venturi tube comes past the bottom section of the "T". I had a bit of trouble with smoke flow so shortened it to this length. To long and the vacuum is produced to far away from the "T" section and will not suck the smoke out. to short and it will cause the airflow to go back into the tin and cause flames to come out the bottom of the tin instead.

Here it is all put together.

And sitting in the tin ready to hook up the air pump and light to produce smoke.

And since then I have been working on a new design. This one is more like the ones that have been for sale on Trademe. Made out of 40 X 40 ali SHS at the moment, but I am waiting on a Stainless one that will be 75 X 75 SHS.

Started off by cutting the tube and folding one of the sides over so that it made the base for the tube. Drilled 2 holes for lighting the wood chips. 1 larger hole for the smoke tube and a small hole for the venturi tube.

Then made up a venturi tube to screw into the back of the tube

Screwed it into place. Here you can see that the end of the venturi. There is about 12mm sticking out. Any shorter and i found that i was getting wood chips being blown out the smoke tube. Worst part was that they were still glowing.

Then put the smoke tube in.

And all ready for use. I have found that the brass hose tail on the venturi gets bloody hot. The standard pvc hose softens up to much and comes off sometimes. I will fix this problem by using silicone hose, which can be bought at the pet shop as well.

Here are some video's that i took of the square tube smoke generator.

Smoke flow is great. It was quite windy when i took these video's

Smoker 1

Smoker 2

Smoker 3

Smoker 4

In the smoker 3 video, you will notice that it backfires near the start. I think this was caused by the Short Venturi tube i had in there. And also the wind blowing past the end of the smoke tube would of been pushing back into the embers causing the flame to pop out the ignition hole.

And here it is filling a cabinet up with smoke. This was about 1 minute of smoke

Smoker Cabinet

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote got no boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 11:24am
got no boat View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by *fisher* *fisher* wrote:

Better more simple design...

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/4931058/smoke_cannon_cyclone_smoke_generator/

Have been watching this topic for awhile now and decided its time to give it a go myself. I have got a Milo tin for holding the wood chips and planning to do something similar to the vid above. Any extra tips or advice you can give me? I know that because the milo tin is going to be a lot wider than the container in the vid so was wondering if I will need an extra air hold to allow draft through it to get all the wood chips burning.
Here is a sample of the tin I will use

If a 6 was a nine... I don't mind
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 12:29pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for that nvmyvl. Will have to have a play with the tools and see how I get on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 12:29pm
Titanium
Titanium

got no boat...  
Just use a can opener (triangle part) and put three holes in the side at the bottom...
Can be lit from these holes..   The venturi sucks air and smoke out of the tin keeping the embers burning...  As its a wide tin, just add more as needed if it doesn't work properly

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote got no boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 8:43am
got no boat View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

QUOTE||Then made up a venturi tube to screw into the back of the tube

Is there any chance you guys could let me know where to get my hands on one of these? Have had a look and proving to be harder than I thought.
If a 6 was a nine... I don't mind
Page  123 5>