Waiuku and surrounding areas for surfcasting

Page  <1234 89>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brown Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 8:50pm
Brown Dog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by KEEN-MAD-FISH0 KEEN-MAD-FISH0 wrote:

haha the gap, one of the sites where tangaroa almost took me for himself a long time ago now. havnt been back since. 

You certainly need to respect that beach, cant get over the amount of parents who let their kids swim there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote memnoch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 9:34pm
memnoch View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

those black spiny cod looking fish, are they any good for eating? like in a smoker?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote landman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 9:37pm
landman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I always go right up the beach the thought of being cut off by that rock on the left puts me off going that way.Last timeI was there my wife saw a shark right in the surf there were kids swimming only 50 meters away. When up there please keep an eye out for the cliffs behind and dont leave gear up by them as the subside frequently.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote T_CARP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 10:14pm
T_CARP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

we cosistantly head left up kariotahi, never fishing the same spot (because the beach changes!!!!!), keeping an eye out for a likely area. we have not missed out on catchng fish in the past 20 or so times there. we have caught 70+ kahawai and about 9 snapper off the beach now, and gurnard. all these just in about 3 hour sessions, you have to fish the beach with the appropriate gear for casting long distances (sometimes you need not) and in under 2m swell with clean water, find channels, snad banks and holes. Kariotahi is fishing so well this season i would be honestly surprised if we missed getting anything for atleast 3months to come. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote memnoch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 9:58pm
memnoch View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

where is the river at kariotahi? i have only been there one and we went north up the beach, i did see a stream but i wouldnt have thought to call it a river?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 12holden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 10:29pm
12holden View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

The Waikato River is at the southern end of Karioahi, It's about 7 Km's south of the surf club.

To add to what DTB has posted,  99% of those fish we caught on  pilchard tails, my favourite surf bait

As Tony mentioned we have been hitting the beach hard since mid november when the conditions have suited, and spent time finding and area of beach we think is worth fishing,  a 4wd drive makes life easy as you can just head south of the surf club and start looking.

some of the holes close to the shore ie 30-40 metres,  can work better at mid tide incoming when they have more water in them and the areas that feed them are deeper.  Fish the hole itself, or around it, same with rips, fishing the sides or out the back of it can work better than right in the rip itself

Tony likes fish a ledger rig and a J style hook, I fish a running or pulley rig, with a Kahles hook.
Both rigs catch plenty of fish, but i dont think a gurnard has been caught on the ledger rig, 4 or 5 oz breakouts hold well in the lateral current and surf/rip.

Stingrays dont seem to like needlefish skirts
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote memnoch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 10:40pm
memnoch View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

ah ok your talking about the waikato river i was thinking what river at kariotahi

Yeah we dont have a 4wd so walking it is....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 1:42pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

im heading down to the rivermouth tomorrow morning if anyones heading out.
If anyone needs a ride down,giz a yell.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 8:47pm
Titanium
Titanium

maaan,the fish were going off down there today.
I only caught  5 big KY's and a decent sized snapper,but others were reeling em in,which makes me think I am definately doing something wrong,or just not quite right.
Wrong rig?
Wrong technique,wrong bait,wrong area,all of the above is more likely!! :)
Still,the family ate a KY and the snapper for dinner,im wrapt as thats what its all about!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KEEN-MAD-FISH0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 2:39am
KEEN-MAD-FISH0 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

great stuff!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 4:34pm
Big Jim View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by fish-feeder fish-feeder wrote:

maaan,the fish were going off down there today.
I only caught  5 big KY's and a decent sized snapper,but others were reeling em in,which makes me think I am definately doing something wrong,or just not quite right.
Wrong rig?
Wrong technique,wrong bait,wrong area,all of the above is more likely!! :)
Still,the family ate a KY and the snapper for dinner,im wrapt as thats what its all about!
Sounds to me that you were just outside the hole or gutter there fish-feeder and had your baits on the sand bar. 5m further on your cast or 10m to the left or right and you may have got 5 snaps and 1 kahawai. I used to do the same but got better at casting and reading the beach.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 4x4surfcaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 5:09pm
4x4surfcaster View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just back from the Port. Quite a few Kahawai caught !!! But not my me !!!!
My line just seemed to get sucked in the current and come back with red weed.
I did manage 1 good one tho and lost another in the surf,

Back another day....
Kite Fishing Rocks !!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 6:02pm
Titanium
Titanium

yeah i got one trev.
beach was full of asians that needed towing out most of the day.
Im gunna get me a "No i wont tow you out AGAIN sign"
Good to meet ya 4x4.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 6:52pm
Big Jim View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Whats the driving like on that beach?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 7:23pm
Titanium
Titanium

been pretty soft lately,down low at lower tide its ok,but any time after round 4hrs from low tide,youll find it a little trying.
I tried to tow a guy out in a van,id say itll still be down there the next time I go.
They were going to stay till 7pm,high tide was a 6pm.....go figure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bigdogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 9:17pm
bigdogg View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

hey karl, cliff allison here. havent seen you round since high school days. text me next time your up if your keen for a fish.  I go down the mouth from hoods landing setting the mullet net on the way, 9 times out of ten return with bin full of KY, bin full of mullet. 15hp 10 foot inflatable does the trick just outside casting distanceWink    0272907301
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KEEN-MAD-FISH0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 7:26am
KEEN-MAD-FISH0 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

chur Cliff, long time no see allrite bro, definately have to sus that mission out for sure.  not sure when il be in uku next as going to whangarei for easter, (farnorfownage il see u then) but 'mad keen'.  take it easy bro.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 5:36pm
"Scooter" View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I live at Te toro,,go to the boat ramp to catch bait but that's it.
At night time low tides you can often see rays working beside the mud bank just down from the ramp.
My two best producing spots are a 30 minite walk north from Hamiltons gap until you hit the mussle rocks that run right into the water at low tide,,I wade from there another 20-30 meters out to a few rocks that are uncovered at low tide and fish off them.
Your going to get wet though,and I fish it wearing either a life jacket or wet suit"good spot for Trev's, KY,an a few snaps.
At the end of wattle bay toward the heads is a short reef an just beyond that another very small beach,this can be a good spot for Gurnard at low tide and the usual Manukau mix at and around high tide.
If you want to fish the incoming or high tide there "get there before half in and be prepaired to stay a while or get "wet" coming back.
Just around the corner south at hamiltons can be good "more so at night" but your stuck there once the tide comes right in,I usualy fish it from low to just before I'm cut off ,,caught two big 7 Gillers there one night last year,a few reasonable snaps an tons of KY over the years.
Don't fish off the rocks on an incoming,,you will get caught out sooner or later and there's heaps of rockcod there that always seem to swollow the lot.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 12:05am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I'm at Te Toro too. Pretty much the only land based fishing I do these days is at Te toro targetting KY at night over winter. My best so far is 3.6kg. I only use flies or soft baits ... well maybe once in a while I use an unweighted bait or livey. where in Te Toro are you Jacee it's not a big place....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 9:05am
Titanium
Titanium

I took my wife and kids down the rivermouth again yesterday,they love it there.
We got there at an hour before low tide and got some massive bites,two broken lines from a big pull on the line,but caught nothing till about 2hrs before hi.
We got three big KY's...so it was steamed fish and fishcakes for dinner :)
Anyone selling any surfcasting gear,wrecked both my reels yesterday....snapped the arm on a good penn reel and the handle fell off the winder on the other.....................thats fishin huh.
Page  <1234 89>