Waiuku and surrounding areas for surfcasting

Page  123 89>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Waiuku and surrounding areas for surfcasting
    Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 9:01pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi all.
New fisher here.
Been surfcasting at the rivermouth at the end of kariotahi,caught a few,sproadicly,and am wondering if anyone knows of other good areas to fish from?
Also,what set ups would you guys say is best,ive been sold west coast rigs with the 6oz beachbomb/break-away sinker,does that sound a go?

Cheers guys.
Oops,jason's the name.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 9:11pm
rocko View Drop Down

That do the trick.. or just use a Ledger rig set up.. with long top trace.... @ the river mouth.. inside the bar is a huge basin.. look for the water current meeting the outside surf... usualy holds some big K Y...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brown Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 9:21pm
Brown Dog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Jason

Quite a few good spots to choose from.

Mako Point at the end of Big Bay

Wattle Bay

Hamiltons Gap

There are others but I'm still learning myself. I find Paternoster rigs with 2 hooks work best for me with 3 - 4oz BOS sinkers, but have been using pulley rigs with some sucess lately.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 4x4surfcaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 12:58pm
4x4surfcaster View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Gidday. Wattle Bay seems ok at the mo.  I landed a big bronzy there 3 weeks ago from surfcasting !! Went again Sunday Evening around 6pm, got lots of bust offs, a few good fights and runs but nothing landed !!  Thats Fishing, oh the current was really ripping out my 5oz B.O sinker with the incoming tide !!!
Kite Fishing Rocks !!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 1:04pm
Titanium
Titanium

cheers guys.
Is te toro anygood for surfcasting?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brown Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 1:15pm
Brown Dog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Been a few times to Te Toro for no return, just small snapper, although I have been told that it can be a good KY spot.  PM me if you want or send me a text, I often head out for a weekday fish or on weekends. Feel free if you want to join me I can show you a few spots.

027 242 7635
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 4x4surfcaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 5:17pm
Silver
Silver

Te Toro is 5 minutes away from me.Ive only ever caught a big ray there !!!  
Kite Fishing Rocks !!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KEEN-MAD-FISH0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 5:26pm
KEEN-MAD-FISH0 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

will watch this thread, iv been meaning to have a fish around home next time im up there, still have family out da heads that i go visit, off topic but do any of you know the guys that run "cafe alba"  Jarre, PK, Mianna and the likes?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 4x4surfcaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 5:35pm
Silver
Silver

Is that the Alba Cafe in Waiuku ?  I deliver food to that place in m y truck !!!

Im friends with Evan and Caroll up at the lighthouse.

Cheers
Kite Fishing Rocks !!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KEEN-MAD-FISH0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 5:39pm
Silver
Silver

yeh mate cafe alba in uku, i lived there from age 5 to 18 when i had mmy boy in 2001.  went to college there and errthing, karl bowsher is my name.  the people that own the cafe are my aunty and cousins, call in there everytime im up for a mean free feed, shot the cuzzy chef.  say hi to them for me if it doesnt feel to wierd.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 6:10pm
Titanium
Titanium

ive only been in uku for 2yrs,dont really know too many people.
My nephew has lived out here for years,jamie davies...you might know him....the local V8 nut he is.
So te toro will be ****e for fishing them?
Im sure Im using the wrong gear anyhows,no flashers or anything to attract the fish,just a sinker and two hooks.
Ill take a pic and post it for you guys to laugh at :)
If anyone local needs panelwork or painting,give me a yell as I need some work at the moment.............also a tattooist of 25yrs.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 7:52pm
rocko View Drop Down

Fish feeder.. PM sent jase... seems we now each other lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote memnoch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 9:15pm
memnoch View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi guys,

im a bit of a new guy too, How far do you have to cast out?, if there is a hole say if a hole is 30m offshore will there be fish in it?

Im thinking of hitting up kariotahi on sunday
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote peeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 9:16pm
peeda View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey guys, I'm based in Pukekohe so just around the corner from Waiuku. Have family who are market gardeners out here and have family in uku and at the heads - Bhana foodmarket.
Anyway I'd also be keen to head out these ways as I'm an aucklander and haven't really fished these areas. Be keen to go out on the weekend sometime.
My numbers 0211594911.

Cheers
Peeda

p.s - while we're on the who needs work sub topic, im an accountant.... :p
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 9:38pm
rocko View Drop Down

[QUOTE=memnoch]Hi guys,

im a bit of a new guy too, How far do you have to cast out?, if there is a hole say if a hole is 30m offshore will there be fish in it?   

only one way to find out cuzzzzz

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 12holden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 9:54pm
12holden View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Kariotahi goes well if you can read the beach and find an area worth fishing, we have pulled in plenty of gurnard, snapper and kahawai over the low tide out there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote memnoch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 10:38pm
memnoch View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The reason i asked is because i was there one afternoon a couple of weeks ago over low tide and no
bites no nothing.

We where about 500m north of the road. Was fishing in a rip where there was a hole about 30 - 50m offshore, think all we did was feed the crabs.

PM me if anyone is keen on doing a afternoon/evening there one weekend

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote landman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 8:07am
landman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Guys I'm in Puke I prefer to fish Hamiltons Gap to Kariotahi as there is less vehicles etc on the beach and the holes up there seem to be closer and a bit deeper. I have had good days and bad days there like anywhere I suppose but have caught Snapper / Sharks / Trevally / Kahawai / Hiwihiwi (black rock cod)/ stingrays/ Gurnard. It seems to fish better over the low tide. I normally only go there if the swell is a meter or less.
On the harbour side I fish Grahams Beach at low tide it can produce Gurnard/small snapper / Kahawai / Stingrays.
best baits seem to be fresh mullet /  Salted Skippie or squid
I normally only fish the west coast when the east coast ( kawakawa bay / Kaiaua area ) is to messy. Over there I strayline from the rocks targetting snapper my best fish over there last year (November)  is 7kilos.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 4x4surfcaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 2:34pm
Silver
Silver

Thanks Landman for the tips. At Hamiltons gap is it best to go left of the rocks as you get on the beach ?  That big as rock looks awesum to fish off, but I would imagine outa bounds on an incoming tide. 
Ive fished the hole at Kiriotahi but only ever caught those horrible brown spiky coddy looking fish. They were a pain in the ass last time !!
Kite Fishing Rocks !!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KEEN-MAD-FISH0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 5:18pm
Silver
Silver

haha the gap, one of the sites where tangaroa almost took me for himself a long time ago now. havnt been back since. 
Page  123 89>