Waiuku and surrounding areas for surfcasting

Page  <1 878889
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Got-ya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 12:12pm
Got-ya View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yes too much fresh water, best time is in the summer when the river flow is low. I have heard of 10lb+ fish caught as high as the wharf. This would not be common though, also seen really good carrots caught in mullet nets right up river where the reeds start. 
THERE ARE TWO KINDS OF FISHERMAN, THOSE WHO FISH FOR SPORT AND THOSE THAT CATCH SOMETHING.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jeremyl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 11:26pm
jeremyl View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hiya all!

I am new to this forum - been surfcasting quite a bit but now looking at the idea of drone fishing! 

I have started up a post but no traction so thought I might try ask here. Has anyone got any experience with drone fishing? I saw people at Papamoa beach doing it and it looked awesome. 

Any tips would be good. 

Thanks
Jeremy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 7:01am
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Here's a vid I did - 

https://youtu.be/xqjxZVYoh94 

Splash drones, Phantom's and Aero Kontikis are probably the most common.

You need to test everything on land before venturing over water so you are familiar and don't make any silly mistakes that cost you lots of money.
There are mechanical release systems that work via radio control and there are DYI ideas that also work. 
For lots of drops (hours of fishing) you will need multiple batteries (2-4 drops per battery depending on how far you want to drop your bait)..
A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jeremyl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 8:09pm
jeremyl View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks heaps!

The video is awesome! 

Yeah I started searching around and it seems like the cheapest option would be to get a DJI Phantom drone and an attachment that releases the line (not too keen on the coat hanger method!). 

I have found 3 attachments - dronecast, gannet and ferntech.

Any one have any experience with these?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SHIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 11:01am
SHIN View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hi brown dog.

Do you still catch Gurnard out at wattles bay?

Is it too late season for Gurnard or still out there?

I hear that Gurnard come close to shore in Winder time.

Just checking as you are local.

regard 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote eynon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 3:12am
eynon View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

went out to the forest Saturday morning, caught loads of weed and pippies, but otherwise dead.

as we were leaving about 11.20. saw one of the other fishermen pull up a nice trev, probably would have stayed longer if not for having packed up.

next trip down there will likely be when the weather warms up abit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MRNUTZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 7:16pm
MRNUTZ View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys, never really ventured out the west coast. What is Wattle Bay fishing like?
i remembered quite a few years ago having a quick cast out Orpheous rock getting big bites but nothing landed.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 7:54pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Hi MrNutz. Not heard of anything much yet but there are kings, trevs, snapper and jkahawai around. I'd be looking at fishing the low tide into the incoming. PM Fenien he knows his stuff out there
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 12:34pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

How's Kariotahi to Hamiltons Gap fishing for snapper at the moment.
Hopefully plenty of Reds coming in close for the Kontiki's?? Looks like a good spell of Easterlies coming should flatten the swell down nicely.
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 8:30am
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very few and far between. Everyone I talk to is catching the odd one or two small snaps,and plenty of sharks. I havnt bothered fishing after seeing and hearing what is being caught. I think most fish are still out deep.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 12:12pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You guys have been quiet a while? Nothing doing this time of year that neck of the woods?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 12:27pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Its still patchy fishing,I've never known it to be so unproductive. A guy I know caught a 22lb a few weeks back,another caught a few 14lb fish, but all myself and a mate managed in last 2wks was one 15lb and a few around 8lb....oh and sharks are back in force.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 3:16pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

flappn sharks. and snaps dont take for wire traces which is doubly annoying.

geeze those are some good fish. what part of the region if I may ask?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote craignzcd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 3:00pm
craignzcd View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

anyone know what the west coast is like at the moment...thinking of heading out to hamiltons or cochranes gap tonight for  a fish...cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TeeNah2019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 5:50pm
TeeNah2019 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Does anyone know if we can get down to the water from G Irwin Road? CAme across this today and took a drive but stopped at the opened gate that proceeded on to a dirt road. Got out for a look but didn't pursue any further ...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TeeNah2019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 5:53pm
TeeNah2019 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

G Irwin rd Awhitu << sorry forgot to add the area
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote slayliner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 7:37pm
slayliner View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi all seeing how no one has done post for awhileI'll do one.
Me and a mate and his crazy dog went down to the river mouth expecting to catch the usual 10-20 kahawai never mind.It was a bit quiet so moved further up the river  and caught a couple of small snapper , a nice trev and a kahawai . Just enough for tea each so we were happy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 12:09pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice Effort with the Snapper in the river, water must be pretty clear with no rain since Christmas. I went to Wattle bay for my first surf cast for a while. New spot so was not sure how it would go, but the moon was up over sunset and bite time was hot.

Ended up getting a nice trevally on a cube of mullet, and threw plenty of undersize snapper back, no Kahawai but was a nice solo trip all the same.

Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tec_n_it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 4:05pm
tec_n_it View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

We were out Wattle Bay way on Saturday, didn't catch a thing, was the first time we came home empty handed!
Page  <1 878889