Waiuku and surrounding areas for surfcasting

Page  <1 86878889>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 10:01am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sounds like a good arvo with a couple of rod spikes.

Best baits and likely species this time of year?

Is there a sand dune or something at the start? the outback gets up and down 90 mile ok.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 11:47am
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

theres a very small dune to go over onto the beach,subaru should be sweet. Mostly grunters and KY this time of year....and rays.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote eynon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 3:05am
eynon View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

the port firing yet?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote slayliner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 8:52am
slayliner View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

There's plenty of whitebait and kahawai but they're very skinny
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 12:01pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Does anyone know the latest on access to the river from the forest? I haven't been there for years, is there still public access?
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 12:51pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Smudge , this from a couple of pages back Wink
Originally posted by Tikkiddyboo Tikkiddyboo wrote:

Tried to laod a clip of the area but the site aint want me to!
Go out through Otaua, follow Forestry rd, turn left into Wilson Rd, right into Perham, left into Lookout Rd, Veer left into Coast Rd, then Right into Reardons rd. Look on google maps and it should make sense. The roads can change a bit out there due to the forestry work but if you follow your nose you will be fine.
2nd track down to the beach (on the start of an 'S' bend) has easier access and I have caught more fish there than any other place around the mouth. 3 hrs before high tide, after high tide, the fish seem to head right out to the mouth. 
Haven't fished there for a couple of years but this is where I used to fish before i invested in a kayak.......then a boat.........then a wife...........don't go fishing as much as I used to now!Cry
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote craignzcd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 6:15pm
craignzcd View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

access through the forest is still good...gates open 6am I think...haven't been out in a couple of weeks.....last time got a ky or so and got given some whitebait aswell....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 10:49pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Thanks Skoti/Craig Thumbs Up
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote landman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 7:49am
landman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Fished the Gap last night pretty slow fishing over the sand managed to get one skinny Kahawai and one just legal snapper both returned for another day.
Didn't help having 2 bloody Maui's dolphin swimming in the hole for a hour or so though calm as out there last night
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote welshbaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 8:30pm
welshbaz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Quite a privilege to see the maui. You should let doc know about it, I think they keep a database of the sightings. Not sure who at Doc you contact, MJ will know
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote landman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 7:49am
landman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yep done so thanks Welshbaz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote eynon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2015 at 4:12pm
eynon View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Went down to the waiuku forest today for a fish at the port. 

hardly any ky or yems but kept pulling trevs out of the water which hasnt happened to me in this spot before. 

biggest is 46cm

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SHIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 6:29am
SHIN View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi All 

This forum would be the best place to ask this question.

I haven't fished waiuku area for few years.

What would be the best condition to fish kariotahi beach?

Specially wind wise?

regard 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote slayliner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 8:50am
slayliner View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Right now would be perfect , offshore wind and not much swell . I went down there on Thursday , plenty of kahawai and even a snapper
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SHIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 9:29am
SHIN View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thank you 

It would be nice to meet up with any of you down in waiuku area for a fish on Tonight ~~

Thanks again for info
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwi phill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 9:40am
kiwi phill View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I fish there a lot and usually incoming  tide ..If the beach look for what will become a hole as tide forms ..If River mouth its also much the same but less critical ..But always remember dont park your car any lower than just on the high tide mark..That way if anything goes wrong at least your car is safe..

Do the walking...Much safer and even driving do not repeat no not drive near the water as often spots are like quick sand and you will sink in deeply...

Back to the beach..Look for where sand dunes are closer to the water and normally mean deeper water at half tide up ...Well thats what i do..Long time since snapper caught of the beach..........Phillip
Sverdfisk .......Marlin in Norwegian
My Parents ...Parents Came from Norway...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SHIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 12:57pm
SHIN View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Do you still catch Gurnard around kariotahi and wattles bay?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Trouss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 5:18pm
Trouss View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Just for this thread...
Port Waikato Surfcasting

No video embedding?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote craignzcd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2016 at 8:59pm
craignzcd View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

went for an explore/fish out through the dunes on the port Waikato side....took the 4x4 up there as haven't been there before out to the end....followed the track to the end....got there just as the tide was coming in on Saturday morning....was more sussing out the area for when the bronzies come back into the river for a bit of lbg.....stopped part way bck down the dune to wet a line...got 3 kahawai ...tasted very nice crumbed.....just have to wait for summer to get into the bigger fish now....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 8:44pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Im surprised more snapper arent taken here. Anyone know the reason?

West coast is monster snapper coast for those that can access it. 

Its a hard choice choosing a place to live in the future, Taranaki or BOI, both great fishing, but BOI has better inshore spearing.
Page  <1 86878889>