Waiuku and surrounding areas for surfcasting

Page  <1 8586878889>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mouthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 10:51pm
mouthu View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Check out this link - I always knew the Super City would work out for us Confused

From September 1 we now need a permit to use a vehicle on the beach. Unless it is to unload horses or to launch/retrieve a boat. Twats.

Saw this on facebook so did a bit of research, there's no where on the Auckland council website to get a permit to drive on the beach, also this by-law where ever it may be with in the Auckland council isn't in print.

I did notice that it doesn't state here that it replaces the Auckland council transport by-law which does permit driving on beaches, so which by-law will you go with?
Yes it was me, I screwed it up for everyone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 11:01pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Excellent! I hope it's a bit of bad reporting, regardless i sent this tirade off to the local paper:

We all know we were sold a lemon with the ‘Super City’.  Did anyone really believe we were going to save millions? While there are lots of little niggles we can grizzle about (try running a community event sometime and you will understand) but this one takes the cake. I had to check my calendar in case I had been drinking too heavily and skipped six months of my life and woken on April 1.

Nope. It’s true. We now have the Animal Management Bylaw 2015. This by law is designed to keep horses safe on Karioitahi beach. Now don’t get me wrong I love animals, they’re delicious.  I don’t mind horses, although I’d never own one myself. So we need to keep them safe from hoons on the beach. You know the type – guys (it’s almost always guys) ride their motorcycles at speed on the beach. They scare the horses and put their riders at risk of a fall. Then there are the cars. Some of the drivers get carried away alright. I’ve seen some sights but often times it’s the mess they leave behind that’s every bit as bad as the danger they pose to other beach users. Broken bottles, rusted wrecks of stolen cars, it’s terrible.

Many years ago when my children were nippers in the Surf Life Saving club we had to contend with motorcycle heroes on one wheel, noisy cars weaving at speed along the hard packed sand, long cables stretched along the beach connected to some type of flying machine, inconsiderate fishermen sending kites out right beside the flags and galloping horses – yep, even the horsey crowd had an element of the irresponsible and careless amongst their ranks. All right outside the club rooms and immediately behind the flags.

So now we need a permit to use the beach. Unless it is in the designated zone for horse trailers or to launch or retrieve a vessel. Why on earth do we need a by-law when the beach is a designated road, complete with a speed limit and other compliance issues? Obviously,  to me at least, this is the result of lobbying by someone with a vested interest in horses. Why am I concerned? Well for a start I can no longer do a spur of the moment trip down the beach to go fishing, the surfers in my family now need to apply in advance if they get a weather opportunity to go surfing near the river mouth. We can no longer drive responsibly on the beach taking friends for a sightseeing tour. Well actually we can. All we need to do is apply for a permit. Great, I bet that will go through the system at light speed.

That’s not my biggest concern though. We have paid someone to put this through the Council to become law. We already have national rules of the road in place and this by-law only serves two purposes. One it placates the people who ride their horses on the beach. Two, it gives the council power to drive around and hand out infringement notices to people who have broken no laws but haven’t applied for their permit. What a pile of horse****!

I’m the first to admit that there are irresponsible fishermen using the beach but that applies across the board so this is not a grumble about horse riders, some are conceited for sure, some are reckless too but most are as community minded as the rest of us.

If there was consultation with the community I didn’t see it., neither in my capacity as a local who uses the beach nor as a member of what is possibly one of the largest sporting clubs in the district, especially as we have a significant presence on the beach. If the Council are worried about public safety and illegal activities then involve the police force, that’s what they are for. If there aren’t enough police to enforce these existing rules then lobby the government and do something useful with our rates. Look after your constituents or we won’t look after you.

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 11:28pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The bylaw they are talking about is here http://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/EN/licencesregulations/Bylaws/Pages/animalmanagementbylaw.aspx
To save you time, skip to the last couple of pages for the notice about Kariotahi, where it mentions absolutely nothing, it says this

The following conditions apply to the presence of horses on Karioitahi Beach as shown in Schedule 1 –

(a) during high use periods, horses are restricted to a walk within the 1km ZONE, at all other times horses are restricted to a walk within the Safe Zone;

(b) within the 1km ZONE, horses must remain within 10 metres of the water’s edge wherever possible;

(c) horse manure must be removed from the 1km ZONE; and

(d) the unloading of horses is only permitted in the Horse Unloading Area.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 8:50am
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

what a rip....permits eh.......they can jam it,ill still drive on the beach. Them dog roll riders can get quite offensive sometimes,ive had one threaten me while I was fishing cause I was too far from the waters edge.Also ive never ever seen any of them pick up the horse turds....
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mouthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 5:21pm
mouthu View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I actually wonder who is going to be at the beach to check if I have a permit, because I know this much, if it ain't a police man/woman then they can go **** themselves.

It's like people that come up to me when I'm working on the roads wanting to know if I'm allowed to do ****, if I have permits and if I'm qualified to do ****.
They all, get the same standard answer, are you a cop?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mouthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 5:31pm
mouthu View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Here you go Smudge, this is the clause I like.

(3) Where a licence, consent, permit, dispensation, permission or other form of approval was not required under a bylaw referred to in subclause (1), and under this bylaw a licence is required , a person must obtain a licence within 12 months of the commencement date of this bylaw.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scuzzymoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 9:49pm
scuzzymoto View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

well I guess it depends what they charge for this permit and if so what are the funds used for? as far as I know the councils have nothing to do with beaches - unless there's toilets and changing rooms,also its getting to the stage were cops wont have to issue tickets as the councils seem to by handing out more and more fines these days
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled” Mark Twain
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 9:52am
Titanium
Titanium

horse riders and buggy drivers can be some of the more idiotic people on the beach,ive had them purposely pull in front of me when im driving high up on the soft sand,making me slow to the point I almost get stuck.I always make sur to slow down and move away from them when driving down the beach,as not to spook them....but you still get filthy looks.I think they think they have more right to be there than anyone else to be honest.Ive had arguements with them about horse shet on the beach,most times they try and say its from another horse,or its plankton or whatever. This permit thing is definately being pushed by someone that has a dog in the fight,cant see it working to be honest.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 12:00pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hoping for some help on the beach fishing.

What is that flat sandy beach you all seem to fish on the manukau and how to access?

Would like to take the mrs for a flat water surf cast next time we up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 1:19pm
Titanium
Titanium

theres a few bays out here man,but i assume you mean wattle bay......good fishing sometimes,only on low though,too shallow for high tide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 11:57am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thats it wattle bay. where all the filming gets done by you techno gurus :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRFXlrMnGBk

like in browns video. i presume its mostly KY this time of year?

so low tide, are we talking 2 hours down?

is it a strong current needing grapnel sinkers?

is a simple dropper rig the best there?

the mrs only has an 8ft rod but i can cast it a fair distance so id prob let her use the good gear.

squid work ok there or would strip bait mullet be better?

floats on the traces to avoid paddle crabs?

thanks for the help.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 12:37pm
Titanium
Titanium

yep breakout sinkers for sure. 2hrs before and after low is good.If you cast too far you will end up in the channel and most likely lose your rig. Ive caught a kingy,gurnard and KY and snaps there,and the odd ray.Hard sand so you can drive on it....bait wise,i use anything I have on the day.Fish infront of the stream to the right,or walk around to the hanging tree to the left. Dont drop any berley in an onion sack over the ledge though,you might catch a cray then,and ill have to come down to grab it and take it for testing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 2:12pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

is it best to head right when driving? i have an AWD wagon with diff lock for sand/snow so should be ok.

i presume its a channel Im casting into?

here i was thinking wattle beach was on the south side of manukau harbour haha.

we went to karekare last time we were up just for a walk and aside from surfers looked like a good genuine "surf" casting spot? i think we low tide when we were there as was only 30m between us and the rock, a deep channel.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 2:27pm
Titanium
Titanium

you can drive either way,its a bit hard to get all the way round to the left in a non 4wd wagon,rocks and stuff,but i drive round there in my old battle truck.
Yes you will be casting into the channel,the more you go round to the left,the closer to the channel you will be.When you get to the carpark,you can go straight over the sand dune,or left into the carpark and theres a easier entry onto the beach.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 2:58pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

so given im not in a 4wd should i go left or right?

how far is the cast into the channel?

really appreciate the detailed description.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 4:06pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Wattle Bay is near the top of the Awhitu Peninsula Fiz so it is on the south side of the harbour.

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 7:39am
Titanium
Titanium

id go to the right fiz.........best bet for a non 4wd,just walk to the left if you want to fish round there.Its about a 30m cast into the channel round there,and to the right,if you walk out to waste deep its about a 50m cast...if that....into the channel on a good low tide.I tend to wind back in pretty quick to avoid snags....and sometimes use a spoon sinker to avoid snags......but in saying that,ive used spark plugs and rocker arms as sinkers and have had bugger all snags.If the red weed is running i would give up and go home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 11:43am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I just went to Auckland councils web site to get a beach permit to drive on Kariotahi beach, and it's ridiculously easy.  Just enter your details and it generates the permit online and you just print it.  Here's the link  http://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/en/licencesregulations/drivingonbeaches/Pages/home.aspx
  It even says that a version on a mobile device is OK, but don't try and download one on the beach as there is no mobile signal there.  As far as I can tell it makes no checks, so you could put any information in and still generate a permit.  If you really don't want to go online PM me and I'll send you a blank copy in word format that you can put your details in and print out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 7:50pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

now im confused, google maps lists Wattle Bay over the other side near Wattle Reserve, near blockhouse bay.

never mind, i now see it on the other side as well.

is access via Awhitu Gully Rd?

Dont need a special permit to fish there?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 9:12pm
Pico View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You can just walk out to fish at wattle if you don't have a 4x4 , it's only a few hundred metres.
Page  <1 8586878889>