THE GUTS OF IT! (ILEX AUTOPSY RESULTS)

Page  <1234 17>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 7:52am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Last Feb, 118 kg stripy, off Hokianga had about 15 very recent jack macs - caught at 08.30.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote A C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 10:34am
A C View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by WETSPOT WETSPOT wrote:

Are Puffer Fish common to find in Marlin Guts ?

Yes
Aye-Aye cloth eyes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 10:38am
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Stripys are like a rubbish tin,  But the most commen in what I have seen are Macs ,squid, rays bream.

Blues, usually empty.
Only one out of about 20 odd have I found full, and it was chocka with coke skippys

Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ILEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 10:42pm
ILEX View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

got our first proper stripy in last night was 128kg a mean looking fish guts were full as of what looked like kohes -also check out the smaller stripy's wound that has healed maybe giant squid?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 11:21pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Do you water-blast them with salt water, or fresh? Is it to get rid of the slime and bacteria etc before you cure them? Just curious.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ILEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 12:21am
ILEX View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

fresh water mate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 5:59pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

hard to tell from the photo Ilex....very interesting none the less....can't think what else it might be that would cause a bite like that but also can't see any of the tell tale 'suction' marks, hook scratches or beak marks at the site.....but in saying that there is sweet ef' all known about Architeuthidae and similar....

a BIG mofo cookie cutter....

PS...I know Dr O'Shea (Squid scientist fullah), so if you have a high res and/or other pixs of that area please send them through to [email protected]

PSS...If you find squid beaks in gamefish I'm sure he'd be keen to look at them....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tugboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 6:09pm
tugboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

not a nurse shark is it?? do they even have em in nz watersEmbarrassed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 6:55pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

find much man mad stuff inside fish Ilex?

this was in the guts of a NPBFT....

it weighed around 2 kgs....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote long john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 7:06pm
long john View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

mean topicThumbs Up
Proud member of the Glen Innes Spearfishing Club
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ratty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 10:05pm
Ratty View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Damm interesting !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 10:08pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Dam kezza thats a weird one mate. Wonder what area that tuna had been in when it pick up that?
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 10:29pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by JK JK wrote:

Dam kezza thats a weird one mate. Wonder what area that tuna had been in when it pick up that?
I'm guessing that's the sort of Jig they might use for those big humboldt squid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 10:30pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

http://www.tackletour.com/images/picsquid3.jpg
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ILEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 10:56pm
ILEX View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Kezza Kezza wrote:

hard to tell from the photo Ilex....very interesting none the less....can't think what else it might be that would cause a bite like that but also can't see any of the tell tale 'suction' marks, hook scratches or beak marks at the site.....but in saying that there is sweet ef' all known about Architeuthidae and similar....

a BIG mofo cookie cutter....

PS...I know Dr O'Shea (Squid scientist fullah), so if you have a high res and/or other pixs of that area please send them through to [email protected]

PSS...If you find squid beaks in gamefish I'm sure he'd be keen to look at them....
yeah Kez we sent him all our stomachs last year
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 7:08am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome thread!!
Everyone who butchers a marlin should report in!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote widerange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 8:02am
widerange View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not a marlin but fyi the bigeye I got had 3 fairly fresh huge macks and a frosty in it ,that were recognisable
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 8:06am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for that widerange - surprising how big some of those jack macs get!! Or were they blue mackerel?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote widerange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 8:22am
widerange View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

jacks I think,had the boney section on the sides of the wrist of the tail.600mm long or so
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 6:48pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Posted this in another post but thought i'd add my two cents from my one and only marlin.

West Coast, Kaipara, fresh mullet in guts.
The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Page  <1234 17>