Light fitting - help

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bluecoraldiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Light fitting - help
    Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 7:25pm
bluecoraldiver View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Pls excuse my ignorance but I  got this light fitting and I'm not sure why it has 4 wire connectors at the bottom for a 2 pin bayonet light bulb. Which 2 connectors do the wires go into.

One is marked green - presumably Earth. However I only have two wires, brown and blue.

This light is being mounted in my biltong/jerky maker and plugged into a wall socket.

Maybe I have the wrong type of fitting?!? It's all Mitre10 had at the time.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 7:42pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pierre most lights only require two wires in this case for Mains AC, Brown is Phase and Blue is the Neutral. So that is all you need to do easy peasy.

Yes the other colour green is for earth but in this instance it isn't needed and the other hole would be a loop where you may need to loop off to feed another light and so on...

Metal light fittings like fluoros may need the earth just for safety.

Hope that helps mate.

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jeff007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 7:42pm
jeff007 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

No you can use this
green= earth
brown = red
blue = black
no need to use fourth pin
however if you are still in doubt take it to a sparky Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bluecoraldiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 8:09pm
bluecoraldiver View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I connected it up but it's not working. There is an 'L' for the brown wire. I tried the blue in the other two holes - nothing doing. Confused !! Will ask a sparky next time I see one.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote H8_4DS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 8:54pm
H8_4DS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

there should be a A(orP) a N a E and the seperate one for linking.

put brown in A(orP) and blue in N.

i have the same fitting in my biltong box. but i am about to change it cause i want to make my box shorter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whiti-fisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 9:55pm
whiti-fisho View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The two terminals directly behind the two pins you see on the front of the fitting are the ones you want .As stated above Green should be earth (not connected to anything in this case ) one of the two terminals directly behind the pins should be labelled + ,A or P ,the red or in your case brown wire goes in this terminal .The other terminal directly behind the other pin should be marked -,N ,the black or in your case the blue wire goes in this terminal .The fourth terminal is a loop terminal and is connected to nothing either .If you have the wires in the right terminals and nothing happens then either the lamp is faulty (try it in a light fitting you know goes or try a lamp from your house you know goes in it).If still not going you probably have a problem in the wiring or the switch that controls the light  or in your case the plug .Call  a sparky (me) Unfortunately for you Im in Whitianga
I step out my door to paradise on earth