Sea Anchor/Drogue

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AfterDark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sea Anchor/Drogue
    Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 4:43pm
AfterDark View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

i am about to get a sea anchor / drogue

what size do i get one for the size of the boat or do i go bigger.

you guys use them all the time

let me know what you think
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 6:01pm
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Go Bigger.  That is all...
Seriously though, you can easily go up to two sizes above the size quoted for your boat without too much of a problem.  Remember to attach a 'dump rope' to the neck of the drogue and use this to pull your drogue in when heading away to start a new drift.  The 'dump rope' will turn the drogue backwards and empty out the water held in it and make it much easier to retrieve.  It also acts as a safety line in case your main tie rope(s) happen to let go....
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MR D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 6:08pm
MR D View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

and don't get a yellow one from the red shed they are usless used to be able to pull mine in with 1 hand and it was 2 sizes to big for my boat, Spend the money and get a proper parachute one you won't regret it in the long run.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 2:07pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Only use if drift speed is excessive . In some cases removing the drogue from the water has helped significantly with drift presentation / catch rates.
In deeper water 30m plus you would use in lighter wind conditions than fishing shallow.
A drogue is essential for soft bait fishing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 2:37pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by MR D MR D wrote:

and don't get a yellow one from the red shed they are usless used to be able to pull mine in with 1 hand and it was 2 sizes to big for my boat, Spend the money and get a proper parachute one you won't regret it in the long run.

Mmmmmm maybe: I have a yellow Youvella one from Red Shed which works perfectly well for my 12ft dinghy.  I really only use it SBing if the wind is 15kt+.

However, I have a proper JHC (John Hewinson Canvas) one for my 580 Stabi, and it is definitely a whole different and better device.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MeCrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 1:11am
MeCrazy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by MR D MR D wrote:

Any particular brand? Where can I get one?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AfterDark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 4:05pm
AfterDark View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

yes where do you get the good ones trademe  or burnsco
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 4:59pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

www.jhc.co.nz

From their website:

This product is endorsed by NZ Fishing News Editor, Grant Dixon and an article in the May 2010 edition (page 49) reads ".. I get to fish in a number of situations where a sea anchor has been deployed, and I can honestly say, hand on heart, I have yet to come across anything as effective as the JHC models. ....What makes these so special?..their longevity..easy to deploy...should it ever be needed for an emergency, there is plenty of good quality rope....

Grant wrote it.  I would use the same words.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 5:30pm
tas-tackle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Fishing/Salt-water/Soft-baits/auction-347904018.htm

This guy makes great drogues...  Double stitched, excellent quality and manufactured all rigged....  Has a bag to store as well, included in the price...
I went one up for my 4.65m boat to this 6metre size one. They all ready to go... 

I added a bungy cord from the boat to the drogue... works well...

http://www.tas-tackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 5:38pm
DIY! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

http://www.paraanchors.com.au/page6.htm#Difference
The Fishermans series is the one I and Fish Pimp use, they are a non-rip even if you get your hook caught and really slow your drift rate down.
http://www.actionstations.co.nz

Berkley 2009 and 2010 S/B champ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 5:47pm
Clutch View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Olfart Olfart wrote:

Go Bigger.  That is all...
Seriously though, you can easily go up to two sizes above the size quoted for your boat without too much of a problem.  Remember to attach a 'dump rope' to the neck of the drogue and use this to pull your drogue in when heading away to start a new drift.  The 'dump rope' will turn the drogue backwards and empty out the water held in it and make it much easier to retrieve.  It also acts as a safety line in case your main tie rope(s) happen to let go....
Thanks for that info Olfart. Simple I know but something you just dont think of....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote marx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 6:40pm
marx View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I just got another sea harvester drouge after putting a big hole in the other one and as others suggested a few sizes bigger than whats generally recommended for a 5m boat.

I used a 'dump rope' on the old one but found it kept on getting tangled around the main line. Any suggestions?
Science for the mind and Art for the soul.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 7:16pm
DIY! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Marx use a float that will separate out the lines.  I use a different colour dump line so it is easy to grab.
http://www.actionstations.co.nz

Berkley 2009 and 2010 S/B champ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snake Eyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 11:11am
Snake Eyes View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

What a great site!  Once again a simple solution to what was a pain in the as$# over xmas with the two lines tangled in a great big mess.  I already figured different colours was the way to go but had not thought of a float.  Thanks

A fast games a good game
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 12:00pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Interestingly, my el cheapo Warehouse one has a float (as does my JHC one).  The Warehouse drogue has no trip line, and that is a pain.
PJ