To Vibra-stop or not to Vibra-stop

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote billfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To Vibra-stop or not to Vibra-stop
    Posted: 25 Sep 2004 at 10:34am
billfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thinking of having that revolutionary uretane insulation mounting system fitted to the White Squall.   Anybody retro-fitted it?

Sounds like a bloody good idea.  Feedback anybody please.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ohsif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2004 at 11:59am
ohsif View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I looked into it a little, it works out very expensive to retro fit. Its not a DIY job, for a start they have to drop the motor off and then ream out and weld the ferrals into the transom. You can just fit the urethane pad between the transom and motor bracket. Unless you have a severe vibration problem that might be a better option, but I'm not sure how much difference it makes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2004 at 12:21pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Billy you could wear big spongy shoes and inflatable pants then you wont notice the vibration.

There is no charge for that advice.

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ohsif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2004 at 1:03pm
ohsif View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Or just take the bateries out
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Strawberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2004 at 1:09pm
Strawberry View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hey billy we put it on the new boat at work havnt used it a lot yet but heard good things about it, i know arron they guy who does it if you want his number to have a chat to him about it or i can get him to call you

strawberry

"The sharks are circling"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fitzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2004 at 2:26pm
fitzy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Billfish not to steal any of Bushpigs thunder, but if you upgraded to a decent and high quality ali boat like a STABICRAFT you wouldnt need vibrastop!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote billfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2004 at 10:15pm
billfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Smudge.  Try as I might I can't fault your logic.  However, remember your a bloody Dawk, Ok?!

Strawberry:  Spoken with Aron already. He also suggested the half measure urethane pad Osif mentioned if I wanted to try that first.   But I really like the idea of a fully insulated flexible mount.  Makes perfect sense to me.  Apparently it makes all the difference.  Love some testimonials from the forum however.

Fitzy:     No thanks.  Pontoons might have one or two useful characteristics (despite the propaganda, staying afloat is not actually one of them) but I draw the line at anything that looks as ugly as a Stabie.  At least Arkwright has the good grace to hide the fact his boat is a pontoon. Granted they skip along on top quite well but I'd stick to my Westcoaster in any real weather.  Also, I bet you anything you like that a Stabie with a ninty rattles and hums worst than a 3 1/2 ton beast with 250 horses at work.  I believe they may be fitting them with vibra stop from new now anyway.  'Sides, if Bushie likes em then that's damming them

This is some stuff Aron emailed me.  What you reckon guys?

Kind Regards,

Aron Henley

I have attached to this e-mail photos and also quotes from satisfied customers who had previously hard-mounted their outboard engines to their boats. On another e-mail (due to it's size) I will send through a review of the Vibra-Stop Bush Kit and it's effectiveness that featured in the April 2004 issue of the Trade-A-Boat magazine.

Henley Marine and Electrical Ltd

Ph: 0-9-535 6333

Mob: 027 241 7372

E-mail: [email protected]

P.O.Box 251 041 Pakuranga

Auckland

Vibra-Stop has now been fitted on every major brand of outboard engine, both four stroke and two stroke!

These quotes have been given by satisfied customers who had previously had their outboard engines hard-mounted to their boats:

�Having an enclosed hardtop I found that engine noise was minimal but you were able to pick up on resonance and vibration a lot easier. After fitting Vibra-Stop everything is now silky smooth. I am very impressed!�

Norm Gibbons 8.5m White Pointer with a 300 HPDI Yamaha.

�For an alloy boat I would recommend Vibra-Stop. I have fitted Vibra-Stop to my boat and it has performed to my expectations. At idle the boat is quieter and the noticeable resonance at 3000 rpm is gone. The boat is significantly quieter and more comfortable to drive!�

Dave Adamson 7m White Pointer with a 225HP Mercury Optimax.

�It really works; we can converse at all speeds. Big Improvement � well worth the money!�

Mark Rodden 6m open alloy work boat with a 150 EFI Mercury.

�The Vibra-Stop system cut down the noise coming back under the hardtop and reduced vibration. It was a good buy!�

Alan Bright 590 HT Kiwi-Kraft with a 115HP Evinrude Ficht.

�Reduced the resonance throughout the whole boat. Changed the whole feel of the boat. A huge improvement!�

Richard Potter Trade-A-Boat Magazine 7.2m Southernsportz with a 200HP Mercury Optimax.

�Vibra-Stop has transformed my boat! Before fitting Vibra-Stop it was impossible to talk in the hardtop. I would definitely fit Vibra-Stop to a new boat � it�s well worth the money!�

Andy Nicholls 590 McLay with a 135 Mercury Optimax.

�When I first fitted a Yamaha 300 HPDI motor onto my 703 Stabicraft I was a bit disappointed on the first test run with the boat vibration.  This occurred especially at trolling speed of which I do a lot during the Marlin season.  I did try changing props to see if it helped but there was no difference.

On my way home from a day's fishing I stopped to refuel the boat and purchased a magazine in which there was your advertisement about Vibra-Stop.  After reading the ad and thinking about it overnight I decided I had nothing to loose and decided to give it a go and get one fitted.

Well, this proved to be a smart move.  I had no idea this would have such an impact on the comfort of the boat, all vibration had gone and it definitely made the boat quieter.

I would highly recommend Vibra-Stop to anyone fitting an outboard motor to an aluminium boat.  It is well worth the dollars.�

John Pattinson 703 Stabi-Craft with a Yamaha 300 HPDI.

�Doing a lot of boating and fishing � around 300 hours a year � I am always interested in ways to improve my boat, so I decided to fit Vibra-Stop. I didn�t think it would have such an impact to the feel of my boat.

I thought the boat was quiet before, but after fitting Vibra-Stop it has significantly improved the quietness and smoothness of the boat, the engine runs smoother, the boat is absolutely silky smooth. It makes my fishing and boating very pleasurable.

I would definitely fit Vibra-Stop to any outboard powered boat.�

Phil Barchet 7m White Pointer with a 200 HPDI Yamaha.

VIBRA-STOP FITTED TO A FIBREGLASS 680 CHALLENGER WITH A 175 MERCURY OPTIMAX:

Aron,
Took the boat for a run last night and here is what we found. At trolling speed 10mph and about 2200 rpm, all cabin antics had almost gone, definitely heaps better than before, and at around 3600/4000 revs, I was able to stay in the cabin without the harshness driving me out but the cabin hatch was pulsing(not sure if it was before) and the adjustable stays were emitting a noise. The locking screws are frozen solid so I couldn't take up the slack in the rod clamps to stop noise continuing.

Flushing motor at home on the muffs, the motor was smoother.

It is a vast improvement to before, hasn�t eliminated the entire problem, but heaps better, and I will inform you of performance as it gets more use.

If I was installing another motor to a new boat, I would use the Vibra- kit for the above reasons.
Cheers Bernie Dwyer

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2004 at 10:48pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Thats probably the nicest thing you have ever said to me billy .

Never been on a boat with vibra stop but when you get it fitted I would only be too pleased to give you my opinion..

That's an impressive boat you have there but those testimonials have a ring of truth to them, it adds up to me, a fibreglass boat would damp down the vibration and that IS a big grunty motor hanging off the back. It makes sense that it would be an improvement - they dont bolt car engines direct to the body work do they? - just amatter of how much difference it makes.

In summary - I dont have a clue really

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2004 at 9:16am
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

Billfish - at last someone else who is prepared to stand up to the mindless propaganda that accompanies those feckin ugly Stabis. You are such a fine fellow I will allow you to invite me on your boat to go fishing.

I hear that Bushies current boat is particularly quiet - save for the sound of snuffling and oinking.

(Don't you love Sundays when he's out tending to his crop and figuring out where he's going to put his three sheets of corrugated iron this week for best and most artistic effect) - you can say whatever you like about him and he misses it completely.

BTW - putting vibration dampening has to make a huge efect - noise is just vibration, and it's vibration that makes you tired on those long days on the water - it'll be particularly effective if you're out trolling for long periods. It'll stop your beer from fizzing up and going flat too quickly as well.

Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote billfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2004 at 4:23pm
billfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ok.  That's it.  The last point seals it.

To Vibra Stop!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Captn Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2004 at 9:54am
Captn Phil View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Billfish--- You gotta do it! I retro-fitted Vibra Stop to the 200HPDI on my 7m White Pointer and the difference was amazing. The boat was reasonably quiet before but with Vibra Stop the boat is just so much more pleasant to use, especially on the long hauls where the noise gets to you after a while. I had initial concerns about how well they would last but after around 300 hrs with them on thay are as good as new. I fitted them myself in about 6 hours and it was a relatively simple job.

CP

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote billfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2004 at 3:14pm
billfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers Phil