Southland Divers

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 10:35am
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by long john long john wrote:

yes, yes, yes, yes, YES!
DD has suggested it may not be that easy but...what would he know?

Eh? Did I?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CBF-Whk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 10:39am
CBF-Whk View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Was back around 99-2000 scamed 5 days in Fiordland on a pua boat working my passage. Weather forced us into Chalky on a day and while the real workers worked the beach I was a little further out. Got to see all sorts some of the best diving I have had in NZ.
The puker were over clear bottom and around 18 inches long, 4 kilo,s???. Some of the cod were bigger. Cant have been deeper than 60ft thats all i could ever dive lol. there was a layer of fresh water where we were that day as the vis was crap for about 6 inches until you hit sea water then it was clear as.
Stangest fish I saw in there was a elephant fish looked like a stumpy shark which had its nose stomped on and squashed.

CBF
Whk
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 3:48pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That must have been when we met you down there Zane? I haven't seen puka down there, mainly for lack of trying - paua were always the focus species. I know a few guys who have speared them there, up to 15kg or so. I'm sure if you made good use of your sounder, or a local fisherman's knowledge, you would have no problem targeting them down there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote long john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 5:52pm
long john View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Jacko had free rein down there the last two months and got nuffink. The shadow he exists under aside, I'd back him to come up with the goods..... but no joy? Maybe the wrong location?
Proud member of the Glen Innes Spearfishing Club
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 6:40pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think it will mainly be pups in sounds, but find a decent pinnacle on the coast with some tide on it and I reckon you would find something in that 15m plus area. When I have been down there, I tend to dive like I do on shallow weedlines, rather than diving the deeper stuff like you might do in a comp.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote long john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 6:42pm
long john View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Is Padraig saying "It's on"?
Proud member of the Glen Innes Spearfishing Club
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 8:21pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fiordland is a fairly massive playground, and surprisingly varied. I caught a snapper in Dusky Sound many moons ago. Game on I reckon
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote B1g_Pun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 8:42pm
B1g_Pun View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Ooh..ooh... Pick me, pick me!

I would love to get down there with some other divers armed with some local knowledge.

Just spent a few days down there but due to weather being absolutely fckd couldn't get to the outer parts. Managed a couple of dives in Thompson sound and Bradshaw arm with only a handful of crays to show for it, had to work pretty hard for them too (15-18m)
"Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war" William Shakespeare
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2022 at 3:48pm
Waltz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Kiaora Diver Dan I'll be in Queenstown 26th and keen for a dive 27th this month can you tell me a bay I can go to for a feed of kina paua maybe a cray be very much appreciated Cheers
Page  <12