Rotorua Lakes Radio

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 4.4 Bonito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rotorua Lakes Radio
    Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 10:06am
4.4 Bonito View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows what is happening with the Vhf Radio service lately ?

Yesterday I called up the new coast guard channel 81 as we headed out onto Rotoiti at 1600 hrs.
Got a reply (after 2 calls) and reported ETA as 2100 hrs.

Called back at 20.45hrs on return, with no reply. Tried multiple times with zilch.
Tried the old 64 channel as a long shot, and got a guy who said he was boat rescue. Told him the story and he said he would pass on my detail.

Listening this morning from 07.30 to 0830, and several others called in with no responce from channel 81.

Bizzare.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MR D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 10:23am
MR D View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Pretty sure radio service is till 18.00 hrs only but I will find out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Eruptn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 11:52am
Eruptn View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi
Just to help clarify the radio coverage etc .. CH64 (Rotorua Lakes Marine VHF Assoc) has traditionally offered three 15 mins skeds, with the expansion of Coastguard etc it was not in the best interest of users to stay outside, so RLMVHF has amalgamated with CG and in the process CH81 was established so a true Trip Reporting (TR) service could be provided .... as of 4 Jan 2011 this is available on CH81 from 0800 to 1800h (extend in summer to 20.30h). This service is part of the Regional Coastguard service .... Naiper, Gisborne, Whakatane, Rotorua Lakes etc are all part of this new centralised service. It is hosted out of Whakatane.

There is also a project under way to connect this regional service to Auckland in the evenings so we have 24hr coverage ... but thats a way off. There is also a project to look at CH16 cover for the lakes.

Thanks for using CH81 ... we hope the few tething problems quickly pass.

Note: CH64 remains for boat to boat traffic, but will no longer have operator support.

Thanks
Eruptn

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 4.4 Bonito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 8:21pm
4.4 Bonito View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi there,
I guess the old cell phone & 111 is still your best bet then.
Originally posted by Eruptn Eruptn wrote:

Note: CH64 remains for boat to boat traffic, but will no longer have operator support.

I had been told that would be the case for Ch 64, so who was it I got, telling me I had reached emergency boat rescue ? 

Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MR D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 8:31pm
MR D View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Our rescue vessel (Rotorua Rescue) we monitor both 64 & 86 channels while on the water.
86 is for SAR use.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nebuchadnezzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2011 at 6:30pm
Nebuchadnezzar View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

So now that we report through Whakatane, does that mean we will have to listen to all the chit chat from the sea fisherman?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MR D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 8:21pm
MR D View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Ol' Betsy Ol' Betsy wrote:

So now that we report through Whakatane, does that mean we will have to listen to all the chit chat from the sea fisherman?

No channel 81 is only for trip reporting on the Rotorua lakes, It is received and logged in the Whakatane radio room as they have the equipment/resources to do it. You won't hear any chit chat from the sea fisherman they will be using different channels. General chit chat for the Rotorua lakes remains on channel 64.