IRB's for LBG

Page  <1 45678 9>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blindspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 10:28am
Blindspot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Looking good Ross! 

To get the best bond when gluing you want to sand your entire pontoon to the same finish as where the logo's were.. same with the insertion on the glue side.  ie. no shine
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 11:46pm
Pico View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers Ben, I gave the neoprene a good going over with the belt sander and that sanding/buffing disc you showed me while it was still on the roll.

Would you recommend doing the pontoons with the sanding disc?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blindspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 11:08pm
Blindspot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yeah use the sanding disc on the pontoons for sure, i found the belt sander was too hard to control and ended up getting down to the fabric in some places..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chadsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 11:00pm
Chadsnake View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Good condition Arancia!
Ben, have you still got yours? Ours is alot older than your's Pico but still gets us on the rocks and out smashing kings over (when I'm in NZ)

Here's a pic of ours, overkill on the neoprene. Still a beast and set up pretty wel
http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/jigging-far-north_topic83791.html

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 11:40pm
Pico View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers for the pics, that's a mean re-enforcing job, you won't be getting any punctures with that!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2013 at 6:27pm
Pico View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The arancia's finally staring to look more LBG than IRB.
Ended up replacing some of the first (square) patches I'd put under the transom as my prep had been pretty rubbish and there were airbubbles under them, and I read on the net that circular shapes are much more effective as they don't catch on anything..

Also discovered another leak, didn't have a long enough strip of hypalon to fix it last weekend so had to wait until Lancer were opn this week to get some more and get it fixed.

Got on to gluing the armour on this weekend, with Callum helping out got the nose sorted out.

First patch on

My not so glamorous assistant cleaning the neoprene with MEK

Looks pretty rough and ready but should improve with a bit of trimming and filling.Will get the first third of the keel done tomorrow.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2013 at 6:56pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If anyones interested, I went out to Lancer industries and they sorted the valve leak in my small inflatable, slipped me a bit of extra pvc FOC to patch a couple of holes on the floor, would certainly recommend them!!
A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 7:19pm
Pico View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by LBGer LBGer wrote:

If anyones interested, I went out to Lancer industries and they sorted the valve leak in my small inflatable, slipped me a bit of extra pvc FOC to patch a couple of holes on the floor, would certainly recommend them!!
Yeah lancer have been really helpful for me too. I was looking at buying a second hand lancer and they were really good sussing out the age etc from the serial numbers even though there was nothing really in it for them. Also really good for materials etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 7:31pm
Pico View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got a couple more sections done today. Made a complete balls up of placing one of the patches and had to take it off, clean off all the glue, sand down the boat again etc. But we got there in the  end. Finish looks a bit rough, but given my fairly hopeless DIY skills I'm pleased with how it's coming along. Still need to do some re-enforcing on the joins.
Cheers Callum for helping out this weekend, nothing like spending a couple of sunny days in a garage inhaling solvents! and thanks again to Ben for all the advice on tools, materials, processes etc 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cal25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 8:27pm
cal25 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I couldnt say no to sniffing hardcore solvents.....
Hard work beats talent, if talent doesnt work hard
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 6:51am
Seth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Methel ethel ketone... way way past hardcore solvents. Next time you have nothing to look up the msds sheets for it. Btw, irb is looking mean
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blindspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 7:48am
Blindspot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

your respiratory protection is a little on the light side.. :D

I use one of these with filters for solvents.

nice work though Ross, looking good.  Are you sick of gluing yet?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gkd@igrin.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 8:01am
[email protected] View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

How does everyone set there anchoring systems up? (Bungee's, shore lines etc) Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cal25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 9:17am
cal25 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Blindspot Blindspot wrote:

your respiratory protection is a little on the light side.. :D

I use one of these with filters for solvents.

I did wonder why I was called in last minute as 'MEK assistant'  LOL

Hard work beats talent, if talent doesnt work hard
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 9:34am
Pico View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Blindspot Blindspot wrote:

Well and truly over it! Still got a bit to go though. Will have to get hold of some better breathing gear this week.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 9:37am
Pico View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by 300wsm 300wsm wrote:

How does everyone set there anchoring systems up? (Bungee's, shore lines etc) Cheers

A lot of guys use the bungy system.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote forsyth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 11:26am
forsyth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bungee or pully depending on where it is that we're parking up. Pully is my preferece if I can put the anchor up on a rock, bungy if it's on the bottom.
NZFisher: Get your free monthly fishing magazine emailed straight to you. http://www.nzfisher.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote forsyth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 11:29am
forsyth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

For pully see this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IM9oiswU4A
Really easy and perfect when there's a rock to use like that.
NZFisher: Get your free monthly fishing magazine emailed straight to you. http://www.nzfisher.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gkd@igrin.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 11:53am
[email protected] View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Pico Pico wrote:

Originally posted by 300wsm 300wsm wrote:

A lot of guys use the bungy system.  

Whats the bungy system?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 12:01pm
Pico View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Page  <1 45678 9>