IRB's for LBG

Page  <1234 9>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote T_CARP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 10:27pm
T_CARP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

the arancias are the go! Paid $7200 for mine with a new motor 3-4 years ago, would, and will definatly get another, has caught multiple thousand snapper, landed on lots of rocks and covered many hundred miles. love it!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 8:06am
chad View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

where did you buy it from bro?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 9:41am
Seth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by long john long john wrote:

Originally posted by Seth Seth wrote:

Although not an IRB but and RIB check out wavebreak.  Dual layer tubes, alloy hull and bullet proof.  Will be my next boat

and at $20,000, they'll sell like hot cakes! Horses for courses bro and as a hack to get you a few kays to the bricks........?
Nah long john, more of a hack to beach launch off the west coast and out to the 30 - 60m mark, bar crossings, hopefully out to an island with a shed load of gear to camp on up far north thats on the 100m contour line to start and then go from there Confused.  Oh and one on my walks to get to a spot of 12.2k's... one way.Ouch

Looking at the 3.65m - 4m one teamed up to either a yammy 50 2s tiller or 40hp 4s tiller, electric start with manual backup, insertion grade neoprane from front to back for a bit of extra protection nosing up to the rock and a small strip on the inside  to protect against snapper spikes.  just need to wait for a new job op that I potentialy will have in the next 3 weeks then all on
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FarNorfOwnage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 11:37am
FarNorfOwnage View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

nicely done death to below, that was the hell deal!  mine came from INOV8A, i just rebuilt it completely for cosmetic reasons. 

chad, for the surf-lifesaving clubs to replace one of thier 377 hulls cost just over $17k.  the best bet is to keep looking on Trademe or ring around a few clubs.  Not long before xmas one of Tairua's club boats was on trademe.  it was flawless, got snapped up real quick. 

took a couple of pics for you of the old footstraps JK.  I just cut/melted (with a sharp knife on the gas cooker)  the new webbing to the same shape as old stuff.  screwed one side of the stainless plate in place then adjusted the other to suit foot size/angle then screwed that in place.
hope it helps...

end result (bottom right of the livie tank)...

out there doing it or STFU
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 11:58am
chad View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thats bloody impressive, im sold on those, I had no idea they where worth that much. Yeah i saw the one on trade me, I should have gone for it !! Im thinking secondhand boat with trailer ect.... then buying a brand new merc so its fully reliable.

Are the modifacations for strenthining the hull costly? Diffinitly looks like the way to go. Even the live bait tank looks wicked, nice work. Going to do a trip northwards again in march when I get a decent break, hope to have something decent by then. Good thred this one, see quite a few improvements that can be made on my kit and what to look for.

cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 12:04pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Love the livey tank. Does this beer taste fishy to you?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 12:12pm
Seth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That livebait tank looks awesome bud, what type of pump do you use to run it?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FarNorfOwnage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 1:11pm
FarNorfOwnage View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

yeah the reinforcing can be a bit pricey chad but worth every cent.  compare para rubber and skellerup's prices, pick the cheapest and go from there.  Glue Guru in Auck's sells Bostik 2402 in different size tins (start with a couple of litres).

lol good spotting Tele, used to have one of those expensive keepalive tanks but it smashed on the rocks, too brittle.  the ole coopers brew barrels can take a bit more of a beating.

yo seth it has a keepalive oxygenator inside, runs off a small gell-cell (12v, 8.5aH) battery.  lasts for ages.  great for picking up a few small ky's or half a doz or so fat ko'ees on the way to your spot if livies are hard to come buy.  easy to pass over onto the rocks too.

out there doing it or STFU
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 2:12pm
Seth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Very cool bud.  Have a macs homebrew kit sitting at home doing nothing, sounds like its got a job now Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JigNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 2:23pm
JigNut View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We use to use an arancia up north landbased around BOI's both east and west coast and futher north. Had a 30hp Yammy on the back and it was covered in BP lifesaving transfers and still had the original prop guard on it. Awsome little boats and easy to transport. 4 people could carry it down onto a beach where there was no trailor access. We armour plated the bow with extra hyperlon for durability when landing but that was about it.
Hope that helps.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fans-Of-Synit-Rods/137662896327800
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BeachedAsBro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 2:49pm
BeachedAsBro View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Keep an eye on trademe too for the insertion grade neoprene rolls for reinforcing - occasionally some pops up and hardly gets bid on!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish caught will we realise we can't eat money.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xsspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 3:54pm
xsspeed View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice pics and setups guys, will get some of my recently acquired RIB up here.

One question I have, where to get new scuppers from? The old ones gave up the ghost and previous owner rigged up some hose. Unless you pull them up and tie off, allows water to flow back in at rest/and even that doesn't stop the water. (they work fine when moving obviously)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alan syme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 4:23pm
alan syme View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

i do not use mine for LBG but know the arancias well.

i have owned two of them, they are awesome boats and they go places that i would not take my 5.5 aluminum boat.

i have mine current IRB called ginga ninja with a 30hp 3 cyclinder, 2 stroke yamaha, it goes real well.

very stable, great for diving, fishing, skurfing and access to surf breaks, LBG spots.

they are very safe as they are made from hypalon which is much tougher than standard rubber on some other boats, also they have 4 seperate chambers. a stingray holed one of mine with a 110kg mate sitting on it, got into shore no probelm and then pulled it out. overnight it hardly deflated and still could have launched it the next day.

there was also a shark attack on an IRB about 2/3 summers ago up orewa/red beach area i think. they made it to shore on 2 chambers.

there are not many boats that can handle going through breaking surf waves. the ribs etc are all good for fishing but there is a trade off, they are heavier and not as flexible in the places that they can be launched, there is a reason why surf clubs use IRBs and not solid hull boats.

thundercats are all good too but tackle/stuff can go out the back and you have to lie down on them, IRBs you can sit on.

those blackdog cats look awesome too.

great livebait tank there also.

trademe is good place to buy, they get snapped up real quick or talk to current owners and let them know you are keen to buy, or talk to surf clubs and do the same thing, they replace them every so often. bigger surf clubs have more boats and more turn over of hulls.

you can clip the scuppers shut if you want to put on a buckle, otherwise do not worry about the water coming in, it will flush when you plane.

check out the arancia website, do a google search. great photos and details of the boats in action.

sorry this is more of a rant than i planned, i have not done much changes to mine except put the full tank up front as ballast and got a welder mate to make a rod holder.

use the chilly bin as storage and a game chair by sitting on it with gimbal under bum, works awesome!

last year i wrote 2 articles in coast to coast magazine about IRB game fishing.

blood splatters, gps, vhf tied in and chilly bin game chair

29kg wahoo

30kg wahoo

mates family outing on boat

fuel tank rod holders at front of boat
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 4:29pm
Seth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 4:33pm
chad View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah i was watching that lol thanks for bringing that to everyones attentionLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cal25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 4:41pm
cal25 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

LOL Watch out tho if buying from surf lifesavers.

I imagine the outboard would have, understandably, been thrashed.

im also hopefully getting an IRB this year....psyched!
Hard work beats talent, if talent doesnt work hard
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 4:49pm
Seth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by chad chad wrote:

Yeah i was watching that lol thanks for bringing that to everyones attentionLOL

Gotta  make it sporting for you LOL

In saying that however its been on for ages due to the stinky on the back, willl definatly need a repower
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 5:08pm
chad View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah thats what puts me off it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 7:32pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi All,
thought I would jump on and ask a bit of advice, I am planning to get a mac 360 for LBG - I realise its not as good for rubbing up against the rocks and it is a heavier boat, however I'm planning to use it for sea fishing as well and arent too keen on an inflatable for abuse of gaffs, knives and hooks. I'm thinking with a bit of care a mac 360 would still be a pretty good unit for getting onto rocks... especially as the nose is pretty stable for jumping off and passing gear off...
Any feedback or major disadvantages for not getting a mac 360 for this kind of use?
A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BeachedAsBro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 8:38pm
BeachedAsBro View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey LBGer - you should have a chat with Forsyth about his baby stabi (389 I think)... maybe more what you're looking for as it serves as a good rock hopper for him as well as fishing/diving platform. Stable as!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish caught will we realise we can't eat money.
Page  <1234 9>