IRB's for LBG

Page  <12345 9>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alan syme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 8:56pm
alan syme View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by LBGer LBGer wrote:

Hi All,
thought I would jump on and ask a bit of advice, I am planning to get a mac 360 for LBG - I realise its not as good for rubbing up against the rocks and it is a heavier boat, however I'm planning to use it for sea fishing as well and arent too keen on an inflatable for abuse of gaffs, knives and hooks. I'm thinking with a bit of care a mac 360 would still be a pretty good unit for getting onto rocks... especially as the nose is pretty stable for jumping off and passing gear off...
Any feedback or major disadvantages for not getting a mac 360 for this kind of use?

small little mac, stabi etc are all good boats. got the good features of safety and stability etc. like anything there are pros and cons of them v IRB.

for me personally i prefer the IRB as i can launch on the beach thru big surf, cross west coast bars, it can be carried over rocks to launch and i do not need to have a boat ramp or be able to drive to the water to launch and retrieve. it is also very light to tow and planes easy with only a 30hp. many of these features are are things that i could not do in another type of small boat like a mac or stabi.

this is why i went for the IRB but i realise that macs, stabis have other advantages for other features/uses.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 9:06pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hmm, yes, I see the trade off between portability and durability - may be a cost to count.....
A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote INOV8A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 9:20pm
INOV8A View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey LBGer,

Mac's are NOT suitable. They are easily swamped in surf/waves and do not have the scuppers like the Arancias to remove water quickly. While a Mac may never completely sink, you could be tossed out, and lose all your gear. In an Arancia you would have to make a huge error in big surf to roll or flip them. Then they are pretty easy to right.
Mac's are not as comfortable to sit in like an Arancia is.
Yes they are a little more gaff/ hook repellant but its a small trade off.
We have never had trouble fishing out of them using hooks, gaffs knives etc. You just need to be careful.
INOV8A out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 9:27pm
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not sure who said the surflifesaving boats engines are trashed but i think you might find they are the best looked after motors you will ever see.... something goes wrong with them someone dies....
I would have no problem buying one and would be my choice if couldn't afford something new and they came up.
Personally like mine and bozs aluminium bottom inflatable as great for trade off for both off the rocks and fishing out of..... (much better ride and fishability than a full aluminium and only really lacks the protability of a straight IRB as much heavier, much better to fish out of IMHO than them though)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 9:31pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by INOV8A INOV8A wrote:

Hey LBGer,

In an Arancia you would have to make a huge error in big surf to roll or flip them. Then they are pretty easy to right.

loved the trips we have done in your boat Andy, do you remember a few years ago at the LBG nationals when Richard B rolled his one in the surf at the 90 and lost every thing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 9:41pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dont have any places in mind that require a surf launch INOV8A, firstly mostly round Auck to Kawau, up north I fish doubtless more than anywhere so Matai and whatuwhiwhi are easy places to launch, Im not a huge risk taker....  I'm sure I may miss the odd adventure beacuse a surf launch is out of the question, but theres still lots of places that dont require it.... I'm thinking more about bumping into rocks - I foresee many novices swingin hooks and stabbing fish etc on board....Maybe after the mac I'll graduate to a inflatable....  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote INOV8A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 10:00pm
INOV8A View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have heard of Mac's becoming swamped in normal waves. But your call. Smile

Ask Josh Worthington, I think it may have happened to him.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BeachedAsBro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 10:13pm
BeachedAsBro View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I still remeber some of the knarly **** we did in your Arancia at the Cavalli's that day Andrew... Wouldn't be attempting aything like that with a plastic or aluminium hull thats for sure.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish caught will we realise we can't eat money.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2011 at 9:06am
Seth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If only Wink, be able to take some serious gear out and being jet nice shallow draft to get to some hard places

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2011 at 12:08pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

'I have heard of Mac's becoming swamped in normal waves'
I find that a bit hard to believe to be honest - whats a 'normal' wave?  a normal wave at the beach? in the surf? in the harbour? I used 10/12ft tinnies for quite a few years and never got swamped by 'normal' waves despite being on the manukau, in the colville channel in open ocean off east cape etc in all kinds of different weather - one day i had to put on my toes in holes appearing in the bottom of a home made ali boat pounding on tauranga harbour but never got swamped by 'normal' waves.... the feedback I have read from mac owners is that they are better than tinnies in a number of situations.... but will ask Josh W about his experiences if he's owned one....
Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JoshW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 7:26pm
JoshW View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Macs are great boats, excellent for softbaiting fishing, straylining and general fishing, they are heavy and ride/handle a choppy sea well but are wet and take a lot of spray. they are adequate for landing on the rocks and much better/safer than a tinny though landing is still not as easy as it is in an inflatable.

I have a 270 mac, swamped it twice, both my own fault,  and had we been a tinny we would of sunk each time, 1st time was when I was beach launching in 1m swell rowing (without an engine) a set came well and truly nailed us, the boat filled up but didn't flip and stayed afloat fine,  2nd time was when I was 17 when I thought I was bullet proof ,trying to land on marlin rock at kari with way to much gear in 2.7m boat with 3hp engine and fair bit of swell (still landing in these conditions would of been a piece of piss in a IRB), smashed up on the rocks, I went in the tide, boat filled with water, stayed a float, didn't lose any gear.

IMO Inflatables are much much easier for rock landings, surf launching and better suited to dedicated land based fishing, and more extreme trips, mac are a comfortable versitle boat well suited to inshore waters and rock landing in calmish areas.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rusty360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 8:22pm
rusty360 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

if your loooking at a mac 360 check out the smartwave 3500 ive had both and would recomend the smartwave over the mac anyday
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 9:08pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for the reply Josh, your feed back confirms the limitations I thought it had....... sounds about right for what I want to do.....will check out the smart waves too.... 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote eastcoastlbg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 9:41am
eastcoastlbg View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hey there i myself have an ex surf arancia, im looking to reinforce it over the winter period i was thinking of using butynol rubber as this stuff is verry strong what are your thoughts on this, so with the glue you used is it a contact glue or a slow setting ive always used bostic 999 contact for any glueing etc i did reinforce an old inflatable but found over time it would start to peel on the edges, how did you go about this process, cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 1:01pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Use the Bostick 2402 - its a 2 part glue and is very very strong.
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xsspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 1:14pm
xsspeed View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by xsspeed xsspeed wrote:

One question I have, where to get new scuppers from?

I need some like on the Arancia's - does arancia sell these individually?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FarNorfOwnage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 4:01pm
FarNorfOwnage View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

you can get the Bostik 2402 from several glue outlets in aucks eastcoastlbg, or you could ring bostiks freephone and see whos your nearest stockist for bostik and they will send it to them.  its about $20 for 500ml of the glue (part a) and about $45 for the little bottle of cross-linking agent (part b).  Part B lasts a longtime, enough to do two boats as your only using a drip or so per glue mix.

yeah xsspeed they sell both the underfloor autobailers and the hypalon deck scuppers seperately.  give them a bell they should sort you out.
out there doing it or STFU
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 4:09pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Had to buy new Part B yesterday from Glue Guru and yep $43 now.

Does last ya a while but goes off easy if it gets in air in to it overtime. Best trick is to keep it stored upside down (with lid on), that way no air can get in.
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote eastcoastlbg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 4:49pm
eastcoastlbg View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

so how do you go about using glue  sticking rubber on etc
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 10:33pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

First of all patch any leaks in boat with orange hypalon material and glue as per below with boat completely deflated. Next day pump up hard, ensure no leaks and then plan your rubber cuts for the reinforcing (insertion grade neoprene is what most use in 3mm for the heavy duty and 1.5mm eslewhere)

Make templates with brown paper or newspaper and mirror for the other side of boat to get a professional looking result.

Cut 1.5mm rubber to template sizes and to suit curves of boat, put 3mm along bottom of pontoons for trailer protection and on centre line of nose pontoon and 1/3 down the keel.

Method:  Use belt sander to ensure well sanded neoprene. Also should either belt sand or hand sand boat to scuff the orange hypalon so it glues better. Apply mixed contact adhesive thinly and evenly on both surfaces. Let it go touch dry (5min or so), put them together carefully ensuring no air bubbles. Once placed, rub on hard. You can use a hot air gun on low/med to help conform to shape around tight curves.

can also put neoprene on any rub points where it touchs the trailer and on top of nose from foot traffic from getting in and out of boat at the rocks.
LedgeNZ LBG
Page  <12345 9>