tauranga fishing

Page  <1 405406407408409 413>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote SaltyAss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 8:16pm
SaltyAss View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Sunday took my Son in Law out for a quick fish 6,30AM, Got to the ramp and realized I had forgotten the sounder/finder but too far to head back home for it so decided to go old school, Went off Matakana for about an hour with-out a touch. Then motored to a spot that looked close to where I would normally go and dropped the pick. Had the best session I've had in years of fishing out of Tauranga, reminded me of my many Kawhia trips 20 years ago, best Snapper over 65cms and multiple around 50, plus a just under legal Kingy and a couple of bust offs.
 Anyone want to buy a fishfinder?!  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 7:53pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Excellent day out SA, especially with no fish finder, I 'm always looking at mine. Nice to get multiple solid snapper.
Last Wednesday I lauched at Bell Rd ramp and went straight to Motiti, beaut conditions but slow fishing, bought home a Trev, JD and some snapper, lack of current not ideal.
If you launch at Bell Rd take your gumboots
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 7:56pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 7:57pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 8:51pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I went out yesterday fishing my way from the Mount to Papmoa, heaps of workups but hard to get past the Kahawai to snapper.
One panny I caught spat up a small eel which was a similar colour to the softbait I was using, quite cool.
I have had this one other time and the eel was still alive(just), I put it on a jighead and caught 3 more snapper by which time it was munted.
These moments in fishing keep it interesting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote tedc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 9:00pm
tedc View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good session out front half way to Karewa this afternoon/evening. Left Sulphur point at about 2.30pm back by 6.30pm.

Soft baiting was slow but the plan was to strayline over burley anyway. set up in 10m at 4pm came home with 5 good pannies and a big kahawai. Put a few kahawai back and turned one into bait.

Also picked up this 70cm fatty early on, put it back to make more pannies. was a good fight on 4kg.

Simon's situation was grave so he used gravy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 9:07pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Nice work Ted..
I went the other way, down Omanu way for a good sesh with sliders & softbaits.

Lots of birds showing the way, so good having them on the job.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote barafat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2023 at 2:03pm
barafat View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I haven't been out for about 6 weeks but friends tell me that the snapper are still in quite close especially along Matakana.  Last time out I got nothing at the 40 meter mark but a few good pannies in close
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2023 at 5:55pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I took Grandson out Kaituna cut on Thursday and had a shocker, did a couple of hours at Motiti knoll using bait and berly, no snapper and after the third shark busted us off went to Town Point and caught lots of undersized snapper, had to come in at 1.00pm so that was our day.
Maybe I should have stayed closer to home reading Barafats post
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwikoro. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2023 at 12:38pm
Kiwikoro. View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Saw a window in the weather to get out for a fish Monday morning before the wind picked up, headed towards Motiti , bagged 12 very decent size Terakihi and a couple of panny snaps, home by lunchtime.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2023 at 7:33pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Middle ground Darren?  
I tried lure fishing but the dirty green water ( algae bloom) put paid to that.
Got a feed, but only just.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwikoro. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2023 at 7:17pm
Kiwikoro. View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey Bill, yeah the middle ground,there’s a reason Maurice used to call it the larder , found a decent school of them, plus I had a bunch of pipis needing an outing from the bait freezer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2023 at 11:58am
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

we shot out on Sunday (as did half of tauranga), busiest I've ever seen the ramp during winter....
went to the 30m mark just past Karewa after having a look at a couple of other places but they looked pretty barren...

Fishing was SLOW, water was COLD, lots of undersized snapper in attendance, but over 3 1/2 hrs we managed 3 keeper snapper, 5 terakihi, 2 trevs, 2 blue cod, a kahawai & a gurnard.   Will head east this coming sunday in hope of greener pastures....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2023 at 5:01pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by GregS GregS wrote:

I went out yesterday fishing my way from the Mount to Papmoa, heaps of workups but hard to get past the Kahawai to snapper.
One panny I caught spat up a small eel which was a similar colour to the softbait I was using, quite cool.
I have had this one other time and the eel was still alive(just), I put it on a jighead and caught 3 more snapper by which time it was munted.
These moments in fishing keep it interesting
Funy how you mention sand eel. Was watching a show on Prime TV,Channel Patrol,A artisan comms boy using rod/reel to catch bass.Would tow a small bait net at low tide to get sand eels and use as bait.Pretty successful.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bigred1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2023 at 9:45pm
bigred1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

As mentioned; half of all the boats in Tauranga were out on Sunday, myself included. I normally head out behind Rabbit to around 33m mark but thoiught I would try around 12m depth in from Karewa for a change. Only got 2 snapper and 1 gurnad. Didn't see any workups dispite doing a big arc out to about 28m on my way back in. Gurnad had roe in it though so I'm hoping that's a good sign (I always feel bad about interuppting the breeding cycle of a fish, but by the time you see the roe its way to late to do anything about it except eat it). 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2023 at 9:54pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

good to see a few posts..
Yeah, Sunday was the day for half of Tga to hit the water..
We did too, but at gentlemen's hours, 9am, to avoid the mad rush.
Poked around the 50 mtr mark for a while, trying to avoid the double hook-ups of baby snapper.
 Eventuallymanaged to avoid them long enough to get a decent bag of tarakihi..
On the way home at noon,& happy with our bin.

So good to be into the mighty tarakihi again :-)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kiwikoro. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2023 at 9:15am
Kiwikoro. View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah we went out last Sunday,left the ramp about 8ish ramp was choka but then why would you not go out it was a beaut day.
Fished the same spot at the middle as last Monday,water was darker, looked around but very little to get excited about on the sounder so just sat on a mark pretty slow for a couple of hours, moved to another nearby mark over some better sign,first two fish were a Pigfish and a cod,no Terakihi but just before midday with a very light set for the stray lines, some burley we had a hot bite, headed for home with ten nice sized snaps, and for the smoker 2 Trevs and a Kahawai , an enjoyable day and to top it off the Sulphur Point ramp was absolutely pumping and it was nice to see everyone was patient, calm and happy , boats and cars were flowing in and out smoothly , I found it a nice relaxing end to a beaut day, spoke to a few people on the docks and they were just happy to be able to finally get out.
My family and neighbours were once again stoked for another feed of fresh fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rancher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2023 at 12:59pm
Rancher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Looks like this weekend will be busy again with the forecast. Lookign forward to gettting back out there for a feed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2023 at 2:43pm
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yip Sunday is looking like even more of a cracker than the last one was...  The 2 degree morning forecast might sort the real fisho's from the pretend though, Uncle wont be at the ramp till at least 10:30 i'm picking  LOLLOLLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2023 at 5:25pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

..you reckon..
I was launching this morning at 10am, on the dot!
Just in time to make it to A buoy as the wind ramped up to 20kts..
Had geared up for tarakihi so that was out the window.
 Headed along the island, only to find I'd left all my softbaits at home.
Called it for a **** day & gapped it for home & well deserved nana nap..

Tomorrows another day Big smile
Page  <1 405406407408409 413>