tauranga fishing

Page  <1 402403404405406 413>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 7:45pm
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

After bloody near a month there was a decent weather/good tide window last Monday for the harbour. Out at 3pm and fished the last two hours of the outgoing tide for four snapper between 32 and 38cm. Sat through the slack water and got another three around 40 cm within 15 minutes of the tide starting to move. Mullet was the preferred bait way over skippy. No lost gear, no damage and no sharks. I did however spend more on RUCs getting from Rotorua to Tauranga and back than I did on boat fuel. Doesn't seem right does it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 12:37pm
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Still not hard to get a feed in the harbour. My Grandson and I fished the last of the incoming and start of the outgoing yesterday afternoon. Seven nice pannies with them all yet to spawn and in great nick. Better forcast next week to get out a bit wider.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 5:38pm
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Whats everyones thoughts on fish numbers and if they are still on the bite up the harbour after heavy periods of rain like we’ve experienced in the last few days. Surely all that fresh water in the harbour must have some kind of effect on the fish and their feeding habits???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 5:53pm
Coastbusters View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Coutta Coutta wrote:

Still not hard to get a feed in the harbour. My Grandson and I fished the last of the incoming and start of the outgoing yesterday afternoon. Seven nice pannies with them all yet to spawn and in great nick. Better forcast next week to get out a bit wider.

Whereabouts are you fishing Coutta? I'm not asking for specific spots of course, just flats / channel / edge / depth etc, and we're you The Mount end, Omokora or Bowenton end. Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kimber7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 4:43am
kimber7wsm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I hear a few reports of kingi's floating around now too
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 7:10am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Waihime I have fished the harbour after big rain events and typically the water over on the Matakana side of the harbour is much clearer than the mainland side, no big rivers flowing in over that side. Also freshwater is less dense than saltwater so it sits on top of the saltwater as a layer, water may look all dirty but go down a bit and it will be better, also fish hang around the edges of the freshwater influence eating the stuff washed out by the floodwater.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 7:21am
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks Marligator. Looks like we’re going to give it a shot tonight so I’ll post a report tomorrow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 7:06pm
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Well that didn’t go as planned! Launched at 3.30pm and as the tide turned got two nice pannies in the bin. Thought we were in for a great night but thats all that spot gave up other than a couple of eagle rays. Headed right up the harbour to our usual never fail spot to settle in for the night. Wind picked up on dark and the boat or lines wouldn’t settle nicely in the current and we were picking up heaps of stringy type weed. We never get weed in this spot. Gave in at 10.30pm with not one fish in the bin. Got up at 4am and hoped we could get a few before sun came up as this spot only fishes when its dark, but its always produced plenty of good snapper every time. Fished until sun came up and still not one single bite. Headed back up towards entrance and fished for an hour for 1 small kahawai and 2 right on the limit snapper. Would be the worst nights fishing I’ve had.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 8:46pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey Wahime thanks for the honest report, we all get days or nights like that, I'm usually too bummed to report them and its kinda reassuring to see others have those experiences.
Particularly disappointing when you put in time through the dark hours, for me fishing outside the harbour over the next month is the worst time of the year, does the harbour slow down as well.
February onwards till May is good for me in the harbour.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2022 at 8:36am
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by GregS GregS wrote:

Hey Wahime thanks for the honest report, we all get days or nights like that, I'm usually too bummed to report them and its kinda reassuring to see others have those experiences.
Particularly disappointing when you put in time through the dark hours, for me fishing outside the harbour over the next month is the worst time of the year, does the harbour slow down as well.
February onwards till May is good for me in the harbour.

I start night fishing the harbour in December GregS and don’t notice any difference in fishing right through until we stop which is generally April when it starts getting too cold to overnight .

I’ve also found fishing was great right through December / January period outside the harbour last year, so hopefully will be the same this year, although weather conditions haven’t been great for getting out over the bar and not looking good for all of next week either.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote bigred1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2022 at 2:07pm
bigred1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Our oldest (19) and I went outside on Sunday about 1 km behind Rabbit Island. 3 undersize snapper, 1 legal snapper, 1 trevally and 1 kahawai. Not a great return, but enough for our dinner. Saw the fisheries inspector boat on the water and they came to say hello. First time in about 10 years I've seen them out there; hopefully, that's because they are not needed. Good to see them all the same. On returning to the ramp another team of 4 was checking boats. I do encounter them occansionally. Again, it is good to know they are about.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2022 at 10:14pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Spot Description: The Tauranga Harbour is a reliable fishing spot to catch snapper during the summer months. The spot  (scam part inserted here)    is best fish on incoming tide using a ledger rig with Squid or Pilchard as bait. Softbait fishing while drifting is also very effectiveThe most common species are kahawai, snapper, and john dory, but you can also try your hand at gurnard. With a wonderful long coastline, there is plenty of room to spread out and enjoy time fishing off the beach.DOT harbors and airports, areas established by statutes, such as Ala Wai canal, Pokai Bay, Kapalama Canal, etc., and some Federal lands, such as military bases and national parks that have a water component.

Thanks for that Noradavis, I am surprised at your local fishing knowledge considering your IP address puts you in Virginia USA.  maybe you are working from home and are using a VPN? Ohhh no, that's right, you're a scammer! Goodbye 
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2022 at 10:21pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

The first part of my post was from a scammer using the name Nora Davis. 'His' post has been deleted and I've edited the link. Pretty obvious as his post makes no sense once he posted details but these guys keep improving. Be especially careful about stuff for sale from new members
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2022 at 10:47pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks Smudge, first one I've seen in the Tauranga thread, these guys need to get a life.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2022 at 8:44pm
Coastbusters View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Spent the day feeding the fish in the harbour today. Lots of little pickers and my bait wouldn't stay on more than a minute. 5 or 6 hookups of 25cm ish snapper confirmed it was a ton of the little pirhanas. No amount of bait elastic could keep the bait on. No fish for dinner for me tonight.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 7:20am
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Due to atrocious weather conditions we decided to have a go in Bowentown harbour yesterday, which I only ever fish at night. Not really knowing where to go we just picked an area on the edge of the main channel out of the worst of the current. Managed about 5 Kahawai over 2 hours and then moved to an area in front of a sand bar where we’ve seen Big Angry Fish guys parked before. Threw a couple of Kahawai out under balloons but no takers. Was still an enjoyable day and got my interest up in targeting a decent kingy which I’ve never really done before.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 10:05am
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hit the water yesterday at 5.30am. The Tauranga entrance was a bit messy with the tide still running out but easily manageable for my FC 535. Once past A beacon it was pretty easy going, big swells but not much wind. I put out a couple of skippy lures about 5 ks short of Penguin and luckily the one attached to the Ugly Stik and a TLD 30 with one of Uncles purple lures on the end was the one that got taken and ****, did it go. I'd say 15O yards on the first run. I cleared the other rod, got the gaff ready and put on a gimble. I'd never fought a big fish on the FC before but found doing it from just behind the centre console was able to drive the boat at the same time. After 30 minutes I really did think I was onto my first Tuna and was reaching for the gaff when my swivel came into sight. What I really didn't want to see was a bloody 2.5 metre bronzie foul hooked between his dorsal and tail. I'll tell you something, the way my arms and back are feeling today are a great reminder I'm closer to 70 than 60 and my attempts at game fishing might be over before they have stated. Probably should have stayed in bed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 11:11am
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Shot Coutta. Getting old ungracefully is an old D.H. thing.
At least you've got conditions you can fish in.
No doubt you'll be back into once the next 10 days of shyte weather clears
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 3:14pm
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Gday Dave, all the best for the season. The swells between Penguin and Mayor got a bit smelly but pretty sure the boat would handle twice what I could. I forgot to mention the total catch for the day. One bronzie tagged with a purple lure. Two big kahawai and a moray eel. Never mind, better than mowing lawns.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2023 at 9:51am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Caught this guy and a few others lurking in 1.2m last night in the harbour.

Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Page  <1 402403404405406 413>