tauranga fishing

Page  <1 395396397398399 414>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 8:18pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lizid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 8:58pm
lizid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

what average length those skippies Uncle? only been getting mini versions of late - half the size I'd normally get.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 9:08pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Very much on the small size Lindsay but as the day went on, they got slightly larger.
Guessing but probably about 350.
I hope to have another look tomorrow & if I do, will take a bit more notice.
I mostly only use skipjack bait for tarakihi fishing so am not too concerned about size.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2022 at 4:27pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

$12 worth of mussels from supermarket will catch 10+ snapper .
Steam them and you'll have lunch, too
That's 4 litres of gas.
But you don't get any fun cooking mussels.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lizid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2022 at 6:41pm
lizid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

350 would be the biggest I got. Find that size the skin/flesh very soft/mushy. I agree bout tarakihi bait - thumbnail sized piece of belly flap - if only I knew where to drop it. Only once have I just beaten the trawlers to a spotand gotten a decent haul. Think they hit it every 10 days / 2 weeks and it is bare bones for at least a week after.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2022 at 9:07am
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

inner habour with soft plastics hows that going at the moment please been ages since ive been out  and thinking this weekend
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rancher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2022 at 4:10pm
Rancher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Harbour is fishing well. Soft baits in the entrance has been good and baits in the shallows. Utilise hours either side of tidal changes. Going to have a go at the low tide tomorrow leading up to midday in the shallows.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2022 at 7:49pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

cheers Rancher, will follow yr advise, was going to be a soft bait only but ..............might cover all bases
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rancher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2022 at 9:36pm
Rancher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Went in the shallows today up near Omokoroa and got plenty of 40-50cm snapper plus multiple 40-50cm trevally. Constant bites up to the low tide.

Great day to not be at work and on the water and showed as was quite busy in the harbour and at Sulphur Point ramp.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 9:01am
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

THANK YOU......out of isolation tomorrow
 so ................

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 11:56am
Coastbusters View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Rancher Rancher wrote:

Went in the shallows today up near Omokoroa and got plenty of 40-50cm snapper plus multiple 40-50cm trevally. Constant bites up to the low tide.

Great day to not be at work and on the water and showed as was quite busy in the harbour and at Sulphur Point ramp.

Hi Rancher, what time of day was that? And what bait / berley were you using?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Venatori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 3:39pm
Venatori View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Went for a fish out at the 80 metre mark from Bowentown. Plenty of skippies on the way. Good average size. Also nailed a couple of mahimahi
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rancher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 8:16pm
Rancher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I went from 930am to 1130amup to the low tide. Have done also daybreak and dusk sessions with the same period up to low tide so i think it is tide dependent rather than light. Also keeping an eye on solunar activity of fish too but that might be just theory.

Used half pillies or squid on single circle hook strayline with 1/2 inch sinker on top of it. Basic fish Berley on bottom and wait for the fish to peel off line.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 10:47pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Wow Venatori getting Mahi Mahi would be a treat, were they hanging around something floating. Never caught one, such a cool looking fish and apparently good eating.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Venatori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2022 at 8:58am
Venatori View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

First for me too at that depth of water. Only just put the lures in
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lizid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2022 at 7:03pm
lizid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi ventori.... what day was that?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Venatori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2022 at 10:25pm
Venatori View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Saturday
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 10:22pm
Coastbusters View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Went on a little trip to the coromandel last week, took the little boat out in the firth of Thames. Good fun hauling in snapper on a light rod. At one point I was reeling one in with every drop. They were biting so aggressively at one point that they were biting an empty hook with a half inch ball sinker next to it. Some were even taking it on the surface! They were mostly under size and I only landed 3 legal pannies in two outings. Both times every bit of bait was gone in less than an hour (it didn't last 5 seconds on the hook, even with elastic) but it was good fun, and a good sign for the future stocks. I'll have to go back next year and catch them again when they are bigger!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 7:50pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I went along Matakana this morning in my dinghy for a quick softbait, nice conditions and got 7 snaps 37 to 45cm. Fish for 2 hours in 5 to 9m, best fish were shallow, slow but steady. Not one boat around, kinda cool to have the place to myself, the fishing has been reliable along there the last month, maybe as the snapper leave the harbour thats there first port of call. Took a few scenic photos for good measure.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 7:51pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Page  <1 395396397398399 414>