tauranga fishing

Page  <1 383384385386387 413>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 5:12pm
Coastbusters View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

Hi Coastbusters, I've drawn a quick diagram of how I chose an anchorage a few weeks ago in the harbour. I arrived at low tide at this exposed sand bar. Got 1 snapper before tide started to flow and they came on stronger as the flow picked up. Boat was sitting in 1m at low position 1. If I was to fish there on an outgoing I'd get much closer to the sand bar, position 2. Hope this helps.

It helps a lot thanks kitno. Would this work during daylight?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 6:21pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Worth a try, I'll pm you that exact spot.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 9:41am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

7:30 - 10:00pm last night up Maungatapu ways, 4 in the bin 33-37cm and tagged 5 snapper. Had a mini mac out catching bait for a while but pulled it in after tiny snapper and trevally turned up.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sandyBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 1:17pm
sandyBob View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

nice kitnoClap do you fish the flats or the channel up there ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 2:20pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I guessed a spot 2.5m at high. Sat about 10m away from the nearest channel. I don't know the area very well.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 10:42am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Received an email last night, we tagged a snapper 2/2/20 measuring 28cm in Tauranga harbour was recaptured yesterday in Tauranga harbour measuring 39cm by a kayaker.
If anyone catches a tagged fish, please take a measure and report it. Entirely up to you whether you keep it or not.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 12:46pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That's pretty decent growth rate in a year, mate. Given what we hear about the slow growth of snapper, and big fish being decades old, I assumed growth was a lot slower than that.
Thanks for posting the info.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lizid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 8:28pm
lizid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Any skippy sightings in the last couple of days? I know the water temps have not been great but ....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 3:58pm
MrWildabeast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey everyone, have had account issues for the last approx 3 months but glad to be able to post again. Got out Friday from Sulphur point, took my 5 yro with me so didn't want to go too far. Lurked around the woodchip piles on the mount side and drifted towards the town reach marker. Dragged a Zman curly tail in new penny and bruised banana 5' shad worked as we drifted. Bruised banana with the most hits, orange slider in the rod holder attracted lots of smaller fish.. Ended up with two modest snapper approx 35 - 40cm but just nice to be out again. Was wondering if anyone has been fishing in front of Matakana lately, and how has it been?
Cheers MrW
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote barafat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 4:14pm
barafat View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yes my account has been severely affected as well.  Just about gave up.
I see the kontiki fellas have done well over the last few weeks, but spent two days out past Motiti a couple of weeks ago for very little except red snapper.  Ive had a bad summer over all
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 8:15pm
Gold
Gold

I got some good snapper in the harbour on Friday, all over 35cm and one 55cm one. I was there all afternoon, but they all came within 40 minutes of each other at about 5:30pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 1:40pm
Silver
Silver

Hey Coastbusters, good stuff on getting yourself a feed. What did you snag them on?

Cheers
MrW
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote barafat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 2:10pm
barafat View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Spent a morning along the outside of Karewa for not even a bite.  Sea was magic but the action was zilch.  I have done very poorly along there over the last 3 years.  It used to be a good place to catch a feed but it just seems barren now.

I may as well sell the boat the way things are going
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 2:43pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by barafat barafat wrote:

Sad to hear that barafat.

Have you been trying different methods of fishing? softbaits, jigs, sliders etc....& different depths?
I was along there on Monday morning with a mate on board.
We had to stop fishing after 1hour 40 mins.
Another mate was also doing similar a bit further along from us.
I suspect plenty of others were too.
The fish are there, you just need to find them & give them what they want.
Keep trying & it will happen.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 3:32pm
Silver
Silver

Spent a morning along the outside of Karewa for not even a bite.  Sea was magic but the action was zilch.  I have done very poorly along there over the last 3 years.  It used to be a good place to catch a feed but it just seems barren now.

What were you fishing with barafat? I struggled in front of Matakana last week but have had success with SP's and sliders over summer, like Uncle said there are fish there 🤞
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 5:24pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by MrWildabeast MrWildabeast wrote:

Hey Coastbusters, good stuff on getting yourself a feed. What did you snag them on?

Cheers
MrW

I was running squid on one rod and pilchards on another. The pilchards weren't touched. Both were setup as stray lines with a clip on 4oz weight on the line once they had drifted out the back. The hooks were fairly small, maybe a 2/0 or 5/0. The winners were small squid "rings" with the hook just pinned through the top once so it didn't helicopter. Whole baby squid were ignored.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote barafat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 5:43pm
barafat View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

What were you fishing with barafat? I struggled in front of Matakana last week but have had success with SP's and sliders over summer, like Uncle said there are fish there 🤞

I was fishing squid on one line, pilchers on a floater, and had a slider bouncing around on the side.
There just doesn't seem to be anything on the sounder.  I was in 13 meters with a burley bomb going too.  It was around 10:00am to 12:30, I don't know whether the time of the day is affecting my efforts
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 6:24pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Coastbusters Coastbusters wrote:

Cheers
MrW

I was running squid on one rod and pilchards on another. The pilchards weren't touched. Both were setup as stray lines with a clip on 4oz weight on the line once they had drifted out the back. The hooks were fairly small, maybe a 2/0 or 5/0. The winners were small squid "rings" with the hook just pinned through the top once so it didn't helicopter. Whole baby squid were ignored.

Appreciate the info cheers Clap
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 6:24pm
Silver
Silver

I was fishing squid on one line, pilchers on a floater, and had a slider bouncing around on the side.
There just doesn't seem to be anything on the sounder.  I was in 13 meters with a burley bomb going too.  It was around 10:00am to 12:30, I don't know whether the time of the day is affecting my efforts

I will PM you some hopeful goodness Wink
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote barafat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 9:48pm
barafat View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I will PM you some hopeful goodness Wink

\Thanks Mr W,
I have tried to reply but not sure whether it got sent.  Will certainly follow advice
Page  <1 383384385386387 413>