tauranga fishing

Page  <1 352353354355356 413>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 9:24am
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice snapper
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pullasiki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 12:24am
Pullasiki View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

3 snapper and 2 hammerheads katikati harbour yesterday 2.30-4.30pm sunny as, nice 7 pound snapper too
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 3:57pm
bite View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i knew hammerheads came into breed tauranga end  over the years i caught 2 different lots of baby hammers around the te puna area , but didnt think they pupped in the kati kati end
 the ting about getting attacked by  baby hammers is big big very big momma is very close down there some where , more so 
if u are in a kayak or 12 foot tinny  those 
little hammers pull some lite string  for 15 to 18 inch jobs 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 4:39pm
Comfortably Numb View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

When about to dive off Tanners Point wharf ... I saw a big momma Hamerhead. 
Never swan there since (30years)
How far off Beach Road were you Pullasiki?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 10:14am
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hard day at the office yesterday. Had my grandson out so the pressure was on a bit for me to hook him up on a few fish.  Put lures in from about 8 ks short of Mayor. Water temp didn't go over 19 degrees. Not a thing. Went to the north western end to where five days ago I had picked up two limits of reasonable snapper. The bottom looked like a desert and the burly didn't even attract a shark. Two big kahawai from Tuhua but nothing else. About 4 ks in from Mayor the water temp went up to over 21 degrees and we picked up four albies. Long day and a decent fuel tax donation but great day with the young feller.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 8:16am
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

We headed to Mayor last Sunday. Trolled from Lassiters to outside of mayor trying for skippies without any luck, other than running past a flock of birds which all dived on our lures getting themselves tangled up in the lines, the result being lost 3 lures, a whole lot of line and 3 released pissed off birds!
Then tried for Tarakihi on a couple of spots and only got one. Then went deeper and binned up on blunose and gemfish.
After feeling much happier with our bin full, started to troll our way back still searching for skippies. No luck until we decided it was time to wind in a head home when one of the rods went off. It fort way better than any skippy, I’ve ever seen, pulling heaps of line and running in all directions. It was a Tuna of some kind, judging by the way it fought, but it spat the hook before we could see it. Could it have been an Albacore??? I’ve never caught one of those to know what they fight like.
We trolled round for another 20 minutes, but no other takers so headed back. Was a great day on the water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ninja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 8:03pm
ninja View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Could of been a albacore or even a yellow fin
buying lures is one of those things only beaten by lying-down activities
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 11:50am
bite View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

more likely a yellow fin  theirs lots of smaller models about 11 to 14 kg jobs  and they are all over the place , it would not surprises me if  the odd one was inside  penguins , heard albacore where inside brewers  , same size albacore dont pull any more string or even less string than skippys do  but they can be a bigger fish  most of the 15 albies we got  where about  mid to large skippy sizes 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 8:53pm
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by bite bite wrote:

more likely a yellow fin  theirs lots of smaller models about 11 to 14 kg jobs  and they are all over the place , it would not surprises me if  the odd one was inside  penguins , heard albacore where inside brewers  , same size albacore dont pull any more string or even less string than skippys do  but they can be a bigger fish  most of the 15 albies we got  where about  mid to large skippy sizes 

Dissappointing I lost it then! We were by Lassiters when we hooked it. I thought the yellow fin were further out the back of Mayor at the moment???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 10:10am
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Anyone been getting any skippies. They seem a bit hard to come by at the moment and my bait freezer is getting a tad low.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 2:07pm
bite View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Coutta Coutta wrote:

Anyone been getting any skippies. They seem a bit hard to come by at the moment and my bait freezer is getting a tad low.

i have know idea we didnt see get any skippys at new year 
 but the seiners are all out in the mayor area and they will seiners skippys 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 2:10pm
bite View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Waihime Waihime wrote:

Originally posted by bite bite wrote:

Dissappointing I lost it then! We were by Lassiters when we hooked it. I thought the yellow fin were further out the back of Mayor at the moment???

yes the main fishery is north of mayor an out off the alderman islands , but  theirs the odd fish well inside mayor and  into penguins , y/fin hit hard and do a big  fast first run a smaller second run etc  then usually go into a slugging match  and  at times will get into swimming in circles ,some times down deep ,  be careful with them and let them take a run  they dont like being  up to the boat and will usually try a run  when coming close to the boat  i find it better to let them have the extra little run 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 3:23pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wahine one of the secrets with YFT is to keep the boat idling ahead, especially when on 24 and 37 kg line, and they will follow like a dog and you just slowly bring them to the boat. This way they won't start doing the circles, whereas if you get into an up and down fight from a stationary boat they will get into a circling pattern which makes things a lot harder and longer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 6:32pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

Wahine one of the secrets with YFT is to keep the boat idling ahead, especially when on 24 and 37 kg line, and they will follow like a dog and you just slowly bring them to the boat. This way they won't start doing the circles, whereas if you get into an up and down fight from a stationary boat they will get into a circling pattern which makes things a lot harder and longer.

We did that years ago when all 5 rods hooked up at once on big eye tuna and only two of us onboard. Worked a treat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 9:43pm
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks Marligator and Bite for the tips. I’m even more gutted now that a YF could be a possibility!!!
Will take your advice into account if we get back out there this coming weekend.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 3:34pm
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Dropped the little tinny in at Sulphur Point at 9.30 this morning. Bit of a swell at the entrance but not too bad. Dropped the pick a few hundred yards SE of A Beacon and had a limit of pannies in just over an hour. Good day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 4:51pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Good work Coutta.
Was there still an infestation of the bloody salps?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 4:57pm
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

No Bill, I was out a few days ago off the firebreak and got plagued by lettuce and bronzies. All good today. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 7:03pm
bite View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

me and the girl went te puna channel  over the low tide period today  i got my first snapper for the year  36 cm  she  32 cm  , fish really didn't start up until the incoming , and so did the weed the red weed  was as bad as it gets  it got to the stage i couldn't put a line in for 30 seconds  the kayaks anchor rope was covered   , but good fish 2 snappers been trying to get the 18 year old into a legal  shes  been putting a lot back and about 7 went back from her today me one hit one 36 m job filets done in the fridge , its the worst red weed i have seen in my  60 years fishing this harbor Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 7:59pm
Coastbusters View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Incoming in that spot you would be likely to get loads of sea lettuce because it would be getting washed off the Otumoetai flats on the incoming towards Te Puna. Otumoetai flats get a lot of sea lettuce settling.
At least you got snapper though, and maybe the sea lettuce acted in your favour to add a bit of cover for the snapper. I find it tough catching snapper during the daytime in the harbour.
Page  <1 352353354355356 413>