tauranga fishing

Page  <1 349350351352353 414>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ninja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 5:20pm
ninja View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Coastbusters
I use 15kg mono and 40 or 50lb leader on a tld25 when chasing king's and also use it for bronzies with 200 lb leader

For the harbour I tend to use mono over braid as sometimes you can get a hum with braid in the current and tends to turn the king's off in my experience
buying lures is one of those things only beaten by lying-down activities
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 8:44am
Comfortably Numb View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hello all

I buy cheap as cat food (pilchard bass) and dangle them off the back of the mighty Fyran 12. I use string in case, I need a bigger boat fish, comes along.
Works well but puncture the cans well.

Are we seeing many kings up on the flats?

Couple of years back I bought a $15 road and reel from a secondhand store in Kati. Was intending to use for bait fishing but got a king on the first day out with it! Very light line and little of it as you can imagine for a bait rod - landed it, just let it tow me around for about 20 mins. Nerve racking. 850mm.

Cheers
CN 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 4:29pm
Coastbusters View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

15kg with bronzies!!!???!!! That seems crazy.
Is that landing them on the beach?
How many metres of line do they take off the reel?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 9:57pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Coastbusters Coastbusters wrote:

I am looking to spool up my boat reel for livebaiting for kingfish on the flats in the harbour. What size line and leader do you recommend? I assume mono, not braid. The reel is a Torium 30.

Hey CB,

Torium 30 should run 15kg mono perfectly - or 10kg if you wanted to make it a fair fight! for leader material I’d probably run 100 pound if fishing the 15kg mainline or 60 pound Fluro on the 10kg mono.

Suggest tying a Bimini twist into your mainline to create a ‘double’, then use the doubled line to tie a uni knot onto a swivel. This just helps maintain as much line strength as possible as the Bimini twist has a higher breaking point than a uni tied using a single piece of mainline. The uni tied as a double should then strong than the Bimini...

Cheers!
Proud supporter of Ronald McDonald House & the team at Legasea

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 6:20am
Coastbusters View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks Speedy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 2:29pm
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Shot out in my 14 footer on Monday and after a fair bit of running around dropped the pick about 400 yards east of A beacon in 50 ft of water. Nice little current and only needed a 1 oz sinker.Also dropped a ledger rig a bit out the back. Limit of pannies 34-36 cm plus a bloody big gurnard in just over an hour. Dead low tide when I got back to the ramp and forgot how slippery it is. Too bloody old to be going flat on my arse. Still,nothing broken so a good day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smurfatnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 9:27am
smurfatnz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Looking at going out to the Penguin Shoals tomorrow ( Saturday ) 
dose anyone have an update on how the fishing has been out there .
Crank that smoker up and lets get cooking
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Pullasiki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 6:54pm
Pullasiki View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Bowentown Harbour, id never think i’d ever see the day to catch a gurnard in that harbour. well it happened. daytime fishing it was, 2pm+ as sunny as anything. 6 Snaps a GURNARD and 3 trevs also lost a horse of a trevally trying to bleed it [DOH].
great fishing for the day, strong tides too. also caught a snapper on a flasher rig which was double weird. anyway here’s some pics to get jealous over
gurnard was 40cm too
ALSO left the fish BITING HARD
kept what we needed, few rat kingfish following the trevs too
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pullasiki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 6:57pm
Pullasiki View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Look at this beauty of a pic i found on the internet. look at the size of the snapper! and trevally. all in the harbour
guy on the left is holding a nice 15 pounder, sad that they didn’t realise how much they were ruining the stocks
‘a small portion of the wagonload fish’ imagine how much they really used to catch
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 3:47am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice Catch Pullsiki, Thanks for sharing old Photo. I wonder wot the fish trap set up looked like? Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 6:18pm
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Had a good day at 30mtrs out off Matakana. Started off slow but eventually drifted over a school although couldn’t get them to take anything. Tried soft baits, lures and bonito, so ended up anchoring over school, dropping berley and got a good feed on bait. Conditions were real nice.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RogueOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 2:19pm
RogueOne View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice work! You were lucky - the Firth of Thames at the same time yesterday had 15+ boats with barely 1 fish each.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 4:26pm
Silver
Silver

Nice haul Pullasiki 

Slow for me the last couple of times out but Kahawai were present and fat.
Did you drift the entrance or up the shallows?
I have a book on Athenree that features that picture and related story.
Few decades ago some of the locals went out with steel poles and nets and netted of a smaller channel - the picture is proof of the feat and they were right to call it a fish trap.

Another question for all: do snapper really eat snapper biscuits? (Round sea urchins say 3 - 4 inch diameter).

Cheers
CN
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lizid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 7:58pm
lizid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Friday night up in the shallows slow going for 5 snapper 3 of which were empty, skinny with  very soft dead white flesh (what there was of it). Water temp was 24 degrees up there. A week earlier we got our limit all in good nick plus a nice trev. Will now flag the snapper away til mid Feb.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 8:33pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Lizid we got one like that up the top of the harbour this morning, nice fish about 2kg but didn't fight much at all, was skinny and white fleshed. I believe they are like this just after they have spawned i.e. they are spent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 8:48pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

...a bit like that horrible  fillet on the right Vance?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 7:08am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes that is it Bill.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Best Intentions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 7:55am
Best Intentions View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Had a great day on Saturday out by Plate.  Fishing wasn't that great but returned with 4 lovely fat snapper around 5 ponds which was enough for us.  Were fishing in 50 metres and the fish were in amazing condition compared to earlier posts about harbour caught fish in poor condition.  Maybe it's the colder deeper water that determines flesh condition.  Even had a 2 metre mako come and bump the outboards a couple of times!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 4:54pm
Silver
Silver

Greetings all
Was out in the mighty 12 footer powered by an equally mighty 5hp beast.
Whilst a few Kahawai were around I spotted ol' Moby Dick of the TGA harbour. 
Right up the berly trail - off me goes...
Hope the pic gets through!
Cheers
CN
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 4:57pm
Silver
Silver

Page  <1 349350351352353 414>