tauranga fishing

Page  <1 344345346347348 414>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 4:31pm
Comfortably Numb View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hello there!
Does anyone own a 9.9ho Merc?
If so, how does it compare to a 15hp and more importantly a 8hp Merc?
Cheers
CN
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 2:14pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Surely someone is out there today doing it...……
I'm still hopeful I might go tomorrow - but today certainly would have been the pick of the weather!
Proud supporter of Ronald McDonald House & the team at Legasea

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 5:29pm
Silver
Silver

I was lookin' on me way to work mate, glass ....Cry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 9:11pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well despite a forecast that correctly predicted 15 - 20 knots from the west last Friday, we headed for Mayor nice and early while the sea and breeze were quiet.

Tried a spot that last year turned up a few lovely bluenose - but after 4 hours of working the same area that was showing stacks of sign, we departed with nothing but a lone tarakihi!

Back into Mayor to grab some livies and then to target a king...

Kohi's played ball so we grabbed a dozen knowing that any that didn't get eaten / used for bait would happily come home for sashimi.. (they are so good!!!!)

Anyways, with wind up a touch we stayed in the lee of the island and chipped away bagging a couple this sort of size...

Hayds was happy to release this one, while we kept one that had been gut hooked.

The trip home was a shade wet, but knowing that we were trekking across (rather than into) the chop made the journey back pretty quick and comfortable.

Cheers
Speedy

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lizid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 5:35pm
lizid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hiya Speedy ... where / how to get those kohis? Have tank now but unused as yet.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2019 at 7:03am
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Weekend looking pretty good, hope there’s a few fish still out there....
Looking forward to some good reports, might wait till Monday, so I can get a park at the ramp!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2019 at 2:57pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by lizid lizid wrote:

Hiya Speedy ... where / how to get those kohis? Have tank now but unused as yet.

Hey Lizid,

They can be real frustrating little buggers to catch, but I find that on an overcast day they will take a small baited hook, or a small lure (around 40 - 60mm in length).

I suggest just using a single hook instead of trebles on the lure, as they tend to engulf them making it a bit harsh on them trying to extract the trebles without butchering them!

Where to find them - they are consistently at Karewa and Mayor, and occasionally turn up anywhere from Rabbit Island to Motiti..

Look for mid / high water bait sign - usually not massive clouds of them though. A bit of berley in the water certainly helps hold them nearby too.

The challenge is catching them on a bright sunny day LOLWink

Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lunacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 8:06pm
lunacy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Forecast for the weekend looks pretty good, we are going to head out Okaparu/Motiti on Sunday to hopefully nab a few snaps/dory and maybe throw a couple of livies out for kingis too. Been awhile since we've made it out, boat needs a good run!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 8:19pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by lunacy lunacy wrote:

Forecast for the weekend looks pretty good, we are going to head out Okaparu/Motiti on Sunday to hopefully nab a few snaps/dory and maybe throw a couple of livies out for kingis too. Been awhile since we've made it out, boat needs a good run!
Best to get out there while you can before the area is turned into a marine reserve.
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 11:46pm
Coastbusters View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Went out in the harbour this afternoon. Nothing but a bunch of small kahawai and an eagle ray.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 6:43pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Anyone get out today, how was it?
Taking the family out tomorrow, hoping it’s mint!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bigred1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2019 at 8:48pm
bigred1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Got out today for a quick foray. A scollop dive at Motiti the goal. Unfortunately my wet-suit shrunk over winter and I could not fit into it so I did not dive, however, the 3 others on-board did. They mentioned the plague proportions of starfish on the bottom, and I must admit it looked that way from the top too due to the number of boats. Either way it does not look promising for the future  :(   We also dropped a long-line. I am hoping it was the increased boat traffic that resulted in us getting only one carrot and 6 eagle rays (I managed to release them all, whilst keeping all my hooks) as that is an extremely poor result. Great weather, if tomorrow is half as good you are in for a nice day. I hope you catch more than us though. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 8:46pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks schoolinfish, you were right, the ocean was so glassy most of the day... way to many small snapper and zero takers... Even went out to the penguins for a kingfish, would follow the lure but not one taker.. sad days, but better than being at work I guess... next time
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JasonEdward62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2019 at 8:58am
JasonEdward62 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

No idea about 8 hp mate but I've had 9 and 15 hp in 12 ft Parkercrafts and 10 goes well up to 2 heavy people but 15 much better and is a hoon machine with just me in it.
Depends on what you do with it too...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2019 at 9:36am
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Got to the ramp on Sunday at 6.45am and could just find a spot to park the trailer. On the way out to the entrance a guy seemed to like me a lot and insisted on travelling pretty close to my port side. At the entrance I slowed down and let him go. I looked behind and there was a boat coming full on right at me. Don't know whether the sun was in his eyes or he wasn't concentrating but he turned at the last minute. He didn't miss me by a hell of a lot. 
Went straight to 40 metres and dropped a burley pot. Two ounce sinkers at a 7/0 hook cast out the back produced seven snapper 32 - 40cm in four hours. Couple of good trevs as a bonus. Got back to the ramp well before the rush. Nothing spectacular but a good day. Due to the flat calm conditions domestics on the boat were minimal.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 8:30am
Silver
Silver

Just looking at power to weight ration really. My 5hp is fine with just one up but two she struggles a bit. 

My 5hp is 20kg but I can see a 9.9hp Merc is only 26kg. I think a 15 would give me the sheeeets at its speed!

Thank you for your answering too!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JasonEdward62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 8:17pm
JasonEdward62 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I think 15 is the best for what I have used them for but not sure what you're pushing with the OB.

15 hp is no problem in weight or handling but fun with 1 on board. From memory a few decades ago of 10 hp not sure 15 weighed much more but I'm talking 1970s Merc 9.9 and late 80s to 90s Johnson 15.

15 hp can be hard to find at reasonable price  but if you get 3 in the 12 ft tinny or want to tow kids in toboggan or tube 15 is the go. Any more hp I think they go to 3 cylinder and get bloody heavy. Not sure about latest engines but don't think they have changed the 2 strokes 2 much... remember they don't go faster until you open the throttle and with a strong head wind and just me on board (90kg) gentle acceleration is necessary or either the 10 or 15 felt like she would flip her over backwards...or feel like it would...I never did any trials...just throttled down...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Matai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 3:48pm
Matai View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Schooner is where the kings are......3 at approx 15 to 20 kg and a slightly smaller one all on Koheru caught at Motiti on that flat Sunday.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bigred1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 6:19pm
bigred1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

By flat Sunday I take it you mean 8 days ago as it was pretty lumpy yesterday. We tried to anchor at the middle ground but between the wind, rain, and the chop we couldn't even sit above our mark. Did manage to get 4 snapper 35-45cm before calling it quits. Well done with the kings.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 11:57am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There's snapper in the harbour
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Page  <1 344345346347348 414>