tauranga fishing

Page  <1 343344345346347 413>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 8:06pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice work Kev. Times right to start targeting the teras I reckon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 2:01pm
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Gidday Dave, yeah, heard of a few being caught. I'd rather concentrate on the gurnard to be honest. Better eating but they've been a bit hard to get onto in any numbers over the last few years. Truth be known I probably just don't have the required skills.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 3:06pm
Comfortably Numb View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Are there many Gurnard in the harbour over the winter?
Cheers
CN
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 7:21pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i would love some gurnard normally go to the manukau to get them...head out to clarks beach and up the waiuku channel there
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 7:22pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

can launch and park from the motor camp there
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 10:03pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ducked out for a splash this morning and eventually managed a nice mixed bag of bottom dwellers - capped off by the biggest blue cod I have ever seen around here. Would have been over 2kg in weight... and tasted yum!!Big smileBig smileBig smile Well done Tyler - yes, now you have caught a bigger blue cod than me!
Proud supporter of Ronald McDonald House & the team at Legasea

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 6:26am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That's a ripper blue cod for around here alright, well done Tyler. Mike you should have weighed it for the club - Cod species. By the look of that photo you were out near your normal hunting ground of late, snapper not on the go yesterday?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 5:07pm
Comfortably Numb View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

That is oar sum!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 10:55pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

That's a ripper blue cod for around here alright, well done Tyler. Mike you should have weighed it for the club - Cod species. By the look of that photo you were out near your normal hunting ground of late, snapper not on the go yesterday?

Yeah considered it, but its a pain in the clacker to get someone to come down there to weigh just one fish, and for us to drive there and back too... Thinking about it we could have frozen it whole and weighed it another time - but then that would have meant lessening the quality of it to eat.. and it was tasty fresh!!

Yes - same general area, but with absolutely no current it was slow. We ended up out a bit deeper than usual and found a few terakihi, 4 x well legal blue cod, and a half dozen snaps.

For the first time in near on 200 bar crossings at the Cut I encountered a couple surfcasters who either plain refused to wind in their lines, or were fast asleep. Next time I will be telling my crew to cut them clear as stopping 'in the rapids' of an out going tide to clear them off the boat was not a great scenario at all.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 8:19am
Titanium
Titanium

Mike I have had that problem a number of times going through there as well. I think there just don't Give A F...K. This is my river type of attitude. But I have seen it once where we caught a guys line and he was copping abuse form the people around him. The concern is that the line wraps around your prop and works its way up inside the bottom of the leg and lets salt water in. I have heard of that happening before, costing mega bucks to fix.

That is good you got onto some terras out there as well. I know what you are saying about it being a pain to weigh in just a single fish, been there a number of times and not weighed really good fish because of that, it is OK when you are coming past the club at the end of the day but when we have to drive in from Paps it is a long way. Maybe we need to set up a club weighstation down this way.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coochdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 10:20am
Coochdog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Report these incidents to Maketu coastguard,They were asking people a while ago to let them know about this.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 10:27am
Bigeye View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice Blue cod. Have been catching lots more of these in the eastern bop of late
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 10:36pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Bigeye Bigeye wrote:

Nice Blue cod. Have been catching lots more of these in the eastern bop of late

Yeah I wonder if they are moving in more because the numbers of other fish are declining and consequently there is a more plentiful food supply for them here now...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 10:37pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Coochdog Coochdog wrote:

Report these incidents to Maketu coastguard,They were asking people a while ago to let them know about this.

Roger that - will do...
cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 10:47pm
Titanium
Titanium

Mike I was talking to a mate up Whangarei way a couple of weeks ago and they are starting to catch good sized blue cod up there now as well. When I lived and fished up there years ago we never caught blue cod. I caught my first blue cod in the BOP. Note sure what is causing the increase in blue cod numbers, maybe a lack of predators like big snapper.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 10:58pm
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

While I haven't been through the Cut since the work started, I have to say I've always found the surfcasters to be really good. I always slow right down where they can see me to give them time. Having said that, you're always going to strike the odd sh*it head. 
I took the boss (read wife) out yesterday and dropped the pick and a burley bomb in 120 ft out from Papamoa. No sign on the sounder. It took two hours to get a bite and a further half hour to land the first snapper. Ended up with eight between 35 and 45 cm. As was mentioned in an earlier post there was stuff all current but apart from that perfect conditions.Not a bad day for the time of year.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 5:19pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Coutta Coutta wrote:

While I haven't been through the Cut since the work started, I have to say I've always found the surfcasters to be really good. I always slow right down where they can see me to give them time. Having said that, you're always going to strike the odd sh*it head. 
I took the boss (read wife) out yesterday and dropped the pick and a burley bomb in 120 ft out from Papamoa. No sign on the sounder. It took two hours to get a bite and a further half hour to land the first snapper. Ended up with eight between 35 and 45 cm. As was mentioned in an earlier post there was stuff all current but apart from that perfect conditions.Not a bad day for the time of year.

Good outcome there Coutta - and a perfect example of being patient Clap Too many times people give it 20 minutes, or change spot if things aren't happening instantly... My boss being the prime example... hope he's not reading EmbarrassedLOL

Yip - regarding giving the surfcasters enough notice - I agree - its great to give them as much warning as possible. But when you're coming home, and have been visible for probably the last 3-4 minutes heading their way, once you're past the breakers they really should have cleared their gear out of the way!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2019 at 3:00pm
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah Speedy, they do sometimes get a bit blind when boats are coming in. I normally come in close to the top of tide and stay as far as I can to the other side. I think at times they may be away from their rods and don't see whats coming.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 10:19am
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Anyone want 30 - 40 strawberry seedlings? I've just lifted / re-set my patch and have about that many spare seedlings...

They'll happily last a few days out of the ground now - but would no doubt do better if potted / planted out asap...

Pick up in Papamoa East.

Speedy - 0274 890553

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JasonEdward62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 9:17am
JasonEdward62 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi guys,

I've had nought to report lately apart from too much work.
I hear the kings are still around in Tga end of the harbour but has anyone seen or caught any lately at the Bowentown end?

And trevally...no idea where to look for those - maybe berley up in a current eddy...???

Might have a go in the harbour when the swell makes the bar a no go.

If that doesn't work I'll head to the BBSFC bar where success is assured.

Cheers people
Page  <1 343344345346347 413>