tauranga fishing

Page  <1 335336337338339 413>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote lizid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 10:53am
lizid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Skippies .... Yesterday (Tuesday) morning I made a beeline from Bowentown for 35m off Big Point where a skippy was caught Saturday.  Trolled a selection of lures, including 2 of Uncles, all the way from there to the North end of the Mayor - right through areas that have produced in the past. Then back in and across Lassiters before flagging it and heading for home. No birds, no bait clouds or columns - just a barren fishless effin desert. So much for the Solunar calendar and all the other signposts. WTF? Got beaten up by the northerly chop outside the bar - waiting for incoming tide.  Did manage half a dozen XOS models just inside the Penguins last Thursday but took all morning to get them. Should've been 2 more but ....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 4:20pm
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Lizard, I was out a week ago.  Flat calm. Hooked a dozen good skippies within a couple of miles north of Pudney.  All double strikes blind trolling.  Due to an inexperienced deckie (wife) who I hope doesn't read this, only managed to land five.  Later in the day we came across a couple of small schools feeding on the surface.  Didn't want to know us.  Lures were pink and a little red one I've had for years.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 4:45pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

I couldn't find them yesterday either lizid although I only went out as far as 40 mtrs..
When the tarakihi went off the bite over slack tide, I thought I'd fill in time ( & the bin) looking for skippies but no show.
Could see a couple of seiners on the horizon, out Pudney way I'd say..

Kev, when the skippies are up on the surface, slurping, probably krill, something in pale pink/orange & SMALL might work.
Like a trout fly behind a ball sinker maybe.
Ask your deckie for advice, she'll likely knowLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 7:27pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Went up the harbour for a fish today, got 6 nice snapper with a couple around 2 kg  and a 2 kg trev.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote badger99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 8:21pm
badger99 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

you very knowlegdeable uncle :)

had work this morning so got out after lunch.
tried the harbour because of all the harbour snapper ive heard about :)
went up by rangiwai island.. 8 oz sinker on the mainline, then swivel to stop the sinker moving down, 5 metre trace 4/0 hook. 7 metres water.
got 1 29cm snapper, something that bent the rod right over and busted off at the hook, a very small but feisty sting ray (are they still stingrays with no barbs?) and believe it or not my 2nd harbour gurnard.
after a few harbour atempts it can go to bunnings and eat a sausage..onions  on the bottom of course 

edit: was somewhere with bugger all boats zooming past.   i love how people zip past you at full noise within 50 metres... so curteus

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jack Hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 8:30pm
Jack Hammer View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Long time no post.  Been dragging lures out from the mount a bit and there are skippies everywhere.  Last Tuesday they were from 40m out.  Friday they were thick around penguins.  Sunday I caught some around the 30m mark coming home from motiti.  MacSkippy purple as always.  Even casted slow jigs into the schools for fun.  Playing on the beach with the kids today I thought there would be fish everywhere out there.  Sieners are busy so get some skippies for the freezer while you can.  Somewhere out there is the marlin I'm actually looking for. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 8:37pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Is good that you're giving the MacSkippys some work Jack.Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 11:27am
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

we saw 2 schools of skippies yesterday on the way back in from motiti, trolled some mcskippies through the them numerous times and came up empty time and time again.  I think word has gotten out in skippy-land and its time for something different....   even my deadly 20g catch seducer couldn't get a bite on them :(
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 11:34am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

^^    & he's my mateOuch
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Micsam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 11:41am
Micsam View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Quick post if anybody is struggling with the skippies that are on the surface feeding and not taking trolled lures. I find getting near and firing a standard berkeley softbait at them and fast retrieve works great. Of course it takes more time to crank them in on a softbait set up (but good fun) so after landing one just cast out and then troll back to find them again. They take a trolled softbait as good as anything else in my experience.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 1:14pm
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The Pink Catch Seducer microjig has nailed me more skippies in the past than trolled lures. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lizid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 9:13am
lizid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The Fat is Back .... Up harbor Saturday night for a good snapper haul and being the 2nd week of February, right on cue, the fat is back (around the rim of the snapper gut cavity). Great condition - no more soft white flash. Should be good until the middle of May at least.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 9:23am
Titanium
Titanium

Lizid, I agree I got some really nice fat ones on Waitangi Day from up the harbour in the middle of the day, got nice fish up to 2 kg.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jack Hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 8:52pm
Jack Hammer View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Where's your fishing report Betty Boop?  I saw you go past today. Tongue Not too many boats venturing out in this swell.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 11:16pm
Coastbusters View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey Marligator, what sort of depth and tide are you catching snapper in the harbour during the middle of the day? I caught my first mid day harbour snappers last week but I thought that was because I was in 14 metres.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lizid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 3:30pm
lizid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Any decent sized kahawai about? where?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 6:08pm
Coastbusters View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Strangely enough I haven't caught any edible sized Kahawai in the harbour this summer. Last year I couldn't NOT catch them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 7:21pm
Comfortably Numb View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

When I have been out, just foot long ones.
Good flesh though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote noponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 7:31pm
noponies View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You guys fishing the harbour on any particular tide? Am going to head out on Fri night in the yak right on low tide. I've usually fished the harbour on a full tide on the flats, but that was a few years ago now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 10:33pm
Titanium
Titanium

Coastbusters, sorry for late reply but been away all this week, I was fishing 4.5m of water at high tide on the edge of a channel. This spot fishes well for the first 1.5hrs of the outgoing and then again for the last 1.5hrs, never fishes well on the incoming though.
Page  <1 335336337338339 413>