tauranga fishing

Page  <1 404405406407408 413>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 8:08pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Picked up a few kahawai, couple of snapper and the Mrs got a PB trevally 56cm just outside the entrance yesterday.
Kahawai have been prepped for big Mokau baits

Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 9:42am
Comfortably Numb View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers all!
I can’t complain this year - I have been spoilt in general with some nice snaps to be honest
My investment in a new 5 horse Merc (oh the power!) for the mighty 12 footer is being paid off in snapper fillets
Agree, burley and light lines well back
Still a few weeks of fishing left I hope
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 5:28pm
Silver
Silver

Out today and got some of the most fattiest snappers I have ever seen. I mean they were heart attack material - looking forward to the feed tonight
Hope the pic shows what it was like
Cheers
CN
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 5:29pm
Silver
Silver

That banana shape is just … fat
45cm fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tedc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 12:25pm
tedc View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good morning outside off Matakana (Tga end) in 12m straylining over burley.
9 in the bin up to 48cm by 8.30.

Took this photo early on to wind up a mate who was also out.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 7:34am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by unodecienxg unodecienxg wrote:

<span style="color: rgb52, 53, 65; font-family: Söhne, ui-sans-serif, system-ui, -apple-system, "Segoe UI", Roboto, Ubuntu, Cantarell, "Noto Sans", sans-serif, "Helvetica Neue", Arial, "Apple Color Emoji", "Segoe UI Emoji", "Segoe UI Symbol", "Noto Color Emoji"; font-size: 16px; white-space: pre-wrap;">Tauranga, located on the east coast of New Zealand's North Island, is known for its excellent fishing opportunities. Here are some common questions and answers about fishing in Tauranga:
What kind of fish can I catch in Tauranga?
Tauranga offers a variety of fishing options, including deep-sea fishing, reef fishing, and estuary fishing. Some of the common fish species caught in the area include snapper, kingfish, tuna, marlin, trevally, and kahawai.

What are some good spots to fish in Tauranga?
Some popular fishing spots in Tauranga include the Tauranga Harbour, the Motiti Islands, Mayor Island, and the deep waters offshore. It's a good idea to check local fishing reports and talk to local fishermen to get the most up-to-date information on the best spots to fish.</span>

Thanks for that, we had no idea.

Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 8:47am
Silver
Silver

Sheet, I’ve been doing it all wrong Kitno. Now I need a bigger boat…
Might call her Spamanator
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 5:31pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

This is one of the cool things about these forums how people make time to share their knowledge
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 11:52am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Full bin in 2 hrs yesterday along Matakana Island. Big schools of kahawai everywhere.

Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 8:46pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Likewise out in front of Omanu yesterday for us, took my Dad(86) and grandson out, we anchored in 18m using bait and berley and had steady fishing.
Nothing big, all fish around 40cm, conditions were 10 out of 10, great family day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wayno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2023 at 6:36pm
wayno View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Any tips on what's working and where in the harbour these days?
Planning to head over with a mate tomorrow for a crack but neither of us really know our way around up that area...
If all else fails we'll stick with our plan and wing it, the good old hit and hope method....

To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2023 at 7:42pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

come in Kitno, he's your man when it comes to Tga harbour Wayno
Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2023 at 9:56pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Anything to report Wayno?
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2023 at 5:59pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I can report there is plenty of fish in the entrance to the harbour, yesterday 2.00 to 4.00 pm on the incoming got all the fish I wanted. I was drifting with softbaits but was watching the boats using bait, heavy sinkers with 5m+ of trace and they were catching plenty.
Line up the big triangle markers the ships use over by sulphur point and anchor at the narrow point(about 20m deep) of the entrance during the first hour of incoming, its got to be one of the most reliable places over summer and autumn, always boats fishing there.
Downside is having to move for ships, boat traffic going past causing rock and roll so ambience not so great.
Also window for fishing limited depending how big tides are as eventually current too strong to get your gear to the bottom.
Bonus bycatch is big Trevs(60cm), the odd Kingi and of course sharks.
Optimum time to fish there is weekdays when conditions outside are crap so less traffic and small neap tides so you get a longer fishing window.
There should be snapper there for another month, maybe longer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2023 at 1:22pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I went out from Pilot Bay in the harbour yesterday afternoon, got a couple of pannies in the entrance but was pretty slow.
Late in the day decided to drift out of the entrance and up onto shallow bank in the middle of the harbour, more fishy up there, got 2 kahawai and 2 more snapper but ran out of time.
Conditions were OK due to wind and current going the same way, hardly a boat to be seen.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 5:00pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Anybody go out chasing skippies today, if so how did they get on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 9:21pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I didn't think they would still be around this late in the season but sea temp. Is above average
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 10:59am
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

Anybody go out chasing skippies today, if so how did they get on.

I didn't go out chasing any but I'm 99% sure I saw 2 schools of them in about 35m a couple of km Mount side of Motiti.

I shot out to my usual area, took 3 1/2 hours to full the 80L ice bin with 2 kahawai, a Trev and 3 peoples limit of 36-66cm snapper.   The snapper were aggresively on the bite and in beaut condition.  Best session I've had for a few years. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 3:37pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good to hear snapper were biting well strx7, I went along Matakana early Mothers day and had a shocker, I stopped in the entrance at 10.00 coming home and got 5 pannies in half an hour to save the day.
I saw the Sunlive video of the boat making contact with the rocks aroung the Mount, strange story reading the report.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bigred1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 6:01pm
bigred1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Didn't see any skippies, but there were a couple of small schools of kahawai around the 30m mark north of Rabbit. Sunday wasn't a great day for us, but we got enough for a feed and a bit to share.
Page  <1 404405406407408 413>