tauranga fishing

Page  <1 403404405406407 413>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2023 at 5:03pm
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I'd bet my house that one never had milky flesh Kitno. Bloody good looking fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2023 at 8:51am
Coastbusters View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Finally, some good weather. I have the boat a birthday / Christmas during the crap weather, repainting it and fitting a new canopy. Took her out in the harbour yesterday for a stunning day.
Snapper were hard on the bite at change of tide but lots of small 25cm to 30cm. Managed to keep 2 at 40cm and one trevally.

I noticed that none of them put up much of a fight. Some I didn't even know they were on the line.

The pink flasher rig with lumo on was hit the most. Ironically I wouldn't usually use these, but I forgot my tackle box and I found a new pack of flasher dropper rigs under the seat so I modified it to a 2 hook strayline. It got hit about 3x as often as the bare hooks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 3:45pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

My grandson has been nagging me to take him fishing so Saturday made a plan to target Tarakihi out of Town Point its he enjoys that, bad call as wrong time of year and didnt find one. One highlight was he caught a Porae, new specues for him and pretty rare catch, got a few snapper so got a feed or two.
By the way check the Kaituna bar cam, the channel is hard left, they swung the camera today but before that the cam was beach with no river showing. Must all the big storms of late.

Part 2 of this post the grandson and I took our dinghy out in entrance today drifting with sofrbaits and had a much better day. Kept 10 snapper 40 to 50 cm so the boy has now had a good fishing fix.

The moral of the story is fish your feet first.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 3:46pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 4:13pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Before cam got adjusted, wheres Kaitune river
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 4:14pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

After cam adjusted
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 7:12pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

A good lesson Greg.
Your Gson will be hooked for life after nailing that big as Porae.
Nice bin of snaps too ~ & I was too lazy to get my share, lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 9:06am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Found them hanging out in 0.7m last night. A few more tags out there and kept a couple of eaters.

Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 5:06pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Not very busy out there Uncle which is a real bonus this time of the year and only ten trailers at Pilot Bay at 11.00am.

0.7m deep Kitno, gotta love that, the shallower you can catch snapper the better.
You would have motor tilted up to get there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 9:26pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by GregS GregS wrote:

Not very busy out there Uncle which is a real bonus this time of the year and only ten trailers at Pilot Bay at 11.00am.

0.7m deep Kitno, gotta love that, the shallower you can catch snapper the better.
You would have motor tilted up to get there.

They run n fight real good in that shallow water. If my sounder is accurate, I'm guessing that's the depth from the transducer to the sea bed. The water line is maybe 3-400mm above that. So technically I'm possibly in 1m?
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kimber7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 6:29am
kimber7wsm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

That's correct Kitno. Although if you want too, you can offset it to water line in the sounder settings. I don't do that because, I'd rather know how much water is under the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote barafat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2023 at 4:53pm
barafat View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Spent 3 hours out yesterday.  Fishing was hard going with little action up the harbour.  Went to the entrance to fish each side of the tide and came home with 3 reasonable pannies.  A bit disappointing over all
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2023 at 9:34am
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Shot along matakhana yesterday morning, only a couple of other boats along past the triangle (perhaps they knew something??)   anyway, softbaited for  2.5 hours  had a couple of touches on the SB but didn't hook up to anything (strange, I'd usually land a number of fish on SB in this time with 3 people fishing)   picked up a few on dragged pillies....  Shot out to the 30m area a little before 10,  tried for turkeys but only small snapper so switched over to Slow pitch Jigs (80G Jigging master) and landed a number of nice pannies upto 48cm, heading in bang on midday with 14 snapper and a few kahawai onboard.  

Would be interesting to know if anyone else has noticed a drop off in fish taking SB's along there (i found similar results septmber/october last year).  

5 years ago if ya shot along there, it would be nothing to see 6-10 boats  in the 10-15m depth range all softbaiting, these days it seems like its just not really happening along there.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2023 at 12:56pm
Comfortably Numb View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Been out two weekends in a row
2 hours each with 4 x goodies each time
Very spoilt
1.5 m water in the mighty 12 footer
Will see if I can add a pic
Cheers
CN
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2023 at 12:57pm
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2023 at 12:57pm
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 8:24am
Silver
Silver

Harbour was firing a few weekends back
Hard graft of late for me
Others having success?
Cheers
CN
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 11:27am
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Not many people seem to post here lately. Bloody FB I suppose. CN, I've been having a good run for the past few months both in the harbour and outside. 60ft off Matakana toward Karewa, 60 ft off the Motiti Knolls or around A beacon. A burley bomb and lines cast well behind the boat with a sinker just enough to get to the bottom. Yesterday afternoon I go six of the fattiest snapper to 40cm in 10ft in the upper harbour. Grease all over my hands an fillet knife. Same method.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 12:10pm
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

2 weeks ago I went along papamoa, Slow pitch jigged and softbaited, got a couple of throw backs and a nice 15.5lb/73cm snapper on a jig.....  Not really much else to note.

Last wednesday shot along matakhana, got 2 keepers on softbaits, a few throw backers on jigs and 3 other keepers on dragged baits.  along matakhana doesn't seem to be producing fish like it was 2015-2021...... what are other experiences along there?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote barafat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 1:23pm
barafat View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Shot along Matakana just after the firebreak on Sunday mid morning in14 metres and caught 13 really good size snapper in 1.5 hours between 2 of us.  That's the best I have done for some time along there.  It seemed that most people who were out that day did reasonably well in close.  A couple of others I spoke to had very little luck at the 50 - 60 meter mark.  All caught on baits
Page  <1 403404405406407 413>