tauranga fishing

Page  <1 401402403404405 413>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kimber7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2022 at 6:09am
kimber7wsm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Channels or right up in the top of the harbour. I did well on Sunday in 14m in front of Waihi beach.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2022 at 5:28pm
Coastbusters View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi all,

I have recently bought a new reel - an Okuma baitrunner. It seems very nice for the price. It came spooled with green mono. I have never used green mono in the harbour - is it OK or should I respool it with clear?

Any experience or advice would be appreciated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2022 at 8:22pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

All my mono is fluro green. So much easier to pick up on changes of angle and see where there sitting.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 5:42pm
Gold
Gold

This is a dark seaweedy green. Would I then need a long flouro trace after the swivel?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 8:46pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Never seen it that colour before. 1m of tough trace should be fine for the harbour.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 8:55pm
Gold
Gold

Here is a picture of it.

It really seems like a nice reel, very smooth drag and only $70

https://www.okuma.co.nz/cdn/images/products/large/Carbonite_Reel_636433965303050938.jpg

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote lizid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 9:35pm
lizid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

before that (or any) reel meets salt water make sure you protectively oil it with INOX (my preference) or Tackleguard. Everything that moves except the drag knob. Top of the list is the bail-arm's line roller which needs frequent (every 2 - 3 trips) oiling. That line color is fine though you should check it's weight/strength. 10 or 12 kg is ample, 8 or 9kg even better. 1 - 2m of 40lb tough or supple trace (I prefer supple) after the swivel. I use a clip-swivel on end of main line and have multiple ready made traces with swivel one end and hook the other. Usually a bead just above hook and some have a small ball sinker as well. I mainly fish the shallows at night - never the deeper channels though the edge of them at daybreak on an outgoing tide has worked.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 7:37am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Lizid is on to it.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 7:24pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yep Lizid the line roller on spin reels is by far the main thing I have to replace, you can hear them when they are on the way out
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 7:52pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I havent been doing much fishing lately due to relentless crap weather but got out Monday, took out an Aussie couple who are keen on fishing. We went out Kaituna cut and caught livebait size Kahawai whick is fun on softbait gear then used one to get a metre long kingi, good start when you are trying to give guest anglers a good day out.
Then out to the knoll at Motiti where we had a steady flow of pannie snaps using softbaits.
Ended up keeping 14, also caught some trevs in really good condition.
The highlight was a 70cm snap in 3 metres, had to start the motor and chase it, took a photo and put it back.
The Kingi had a couple of wormy things hanging out of its gut, I pulled them out and took a photo, some sort of parasite, 3 inches long.
Great day out for the Aussies
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lizid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 8:20pm
lizid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I use a short length of 80lb dacron (old school line I have a lot of). Gets a good grip looped right around the rollerthen Inox squirt, spin spin (holding both ends of dacron) - repeated 3 times seems to work. As well 2 or 3 times a season I dismantle the whole roller assembly for a thorough oil. Pays to do this to the reel before 1st use as well - to ensure that it will come apart later.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 9:55pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I will try to post a few more photos from Monday
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 9:56pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 9:56pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 9:58pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2022 at 7:52am
Gold
Gold

Thanks for all the advice on the reel. I am looking forward to using it. I  have it on a telescopic rod and I am going to stow it in my car or van with a small pack of tackle, so if I am ever out and about and get a quick wharf or rocks opportunity I will have it with me. I still can't believe what a good reel it feels though. I also have a fin nor baitrunner and a couple of shimano baitrunners and the Fin nor has proven its worth against some big fish at half the price of a shimano. They get a hard life, and I can honestly say I do not look after them as well as I should. After a few years, the Fin Nor is not standing up to the test of time as well as the shimanos though, it is feeling a bit rough now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 10:25pm
Gold
Gold

I took everyone's advice on the Lanolin spray for the reel. It seems to have done a great job, but now my garage smells of sheep!!! My wife came home and said, "why does the house smell like the camel enclosure at the zoo?" Dead
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote tedc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2022 at 1:09pm
tedc View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Happy with this mornings effort. Up at 5am home by 9.15am. Fished the Matakana banks, lures doing the business
Simon's situation was grave so he used gravy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2022 at 5:04pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Nice work Ted.. Water was a bit murky down there, algae bloom?

We had a bit of a look part way along then aborted in favor of some tarakhi fishing.Got plenty & left them biting.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tedc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2022 at 5:10pm
tedc View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good one Bill. A few nice blue mac's around eh.

Water was ok where I was.

The slow pitch jigs did the damage today
Page  <1 401402403404405 413>