tauranga fishing

Page  <1 400401402403404 413>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2022 at 7:49am
Coastbusters View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by GregS GregS wrote:

Hi Coastbusters I don't know what type of whale, there was just the one and he was swimming around in the same area not going anywhere, maybe feeding. Good to watch as I shut down motor and didnt hace to chase it, bit wary of getting too close after the Kaikoura tragedy. We took of out to sea and when we came back 2 hours later he was still there.
Your bust offs must have been Kingi or Shark.
Good haul strx7, it was a minter alright.
I also we along Matakana Friday avo in my dinghy for a softbait and was pretty slow fishing, I did catch a Stargazer or something, not the most handsome fish fish

I'd say it was a humpback. I have seen them in the Gold Coast twice in Oct. That is along their migration route, which aligns with dates now. Slapping their flippers was how you spotted them. And they too would hang around all day slapping. The flippers usually looked a tad longer, but maybe it is part submerged in the photo.

I assumed kingies too. Both times they took the whole pilchard when it was mid water column drifting down the berley trail almost immediately after being cast, so I can rule out a stingray. I haven't caught enough kingies to recognize exactly what it feels like on the line. I definitely felt head shakes. There were surface flurries of baitfish followed by a v in the water around that time too, which also makes me think kings.

Oh, and I can testify that stargazers aka monkfish are delicious. I caught one a couple of years ago in the harbour of all places.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Venatori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2022 at 8:52am
Venatori View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey Cooastbusters. In the harbour Saturday arvo. Got 11 snapper up to 7.5lbs. Nothing small. Also had similar thing happen with big solid pulls then bit off. I reckon theres some solid snaps lurkin. One was caught the other day just shy of 20lbs
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2022 at 10:29am
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Coastbusters Coastbusters wrote:

Originally posted by strx7 strx7 wrote:

Coastbuster - what area were the steamtrains in? water depth?.

4.5m at the edge of a deep channel,

Shark I'd suspect.  I know on the occasion i've been plagued by schoolies at motiti their side to side head thrashing feels just like sizeable snapper tail pumps....

Kings blast off then then give you a slower version of the trevally side on nod/nod/nod as they are longer fish then do it slower....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2022 at 10:30am
Gold
Gold

Snapper makes sense. It fought more like how I recognize snapper shaking, tapping, nodding, and was easier to winch to the boat than a comparative kingie or shark
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2022 at 10:33am
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Waihime Waihime wrote:

It was a new lure so eventually after about 5 lost fish I thought I’d wind it in and try the same slider I had success with last week. Thats when I found the small pvc tubes over the end of the hooks!!!

I know someone else on here who had that same problem a couple of years ago with a new jig......  I'm sure they will comment when reading this...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2022 at 10:45am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

It was a new lure so eventually after about 5 lost fish I thought I’d wind it in and try the same slider I had success with last week. Thats when I found the small pvc tubes over the end of the hooks!!!

I know someone else on here who had that same problem a couple of years ago with a new jig......  I'm sure they will comment when reading this...

..get awaaaay with ya Shane, lol

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2022 at 7:26pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks Keith C for confirming the Stargazer, I've heard of them but didn't know was good to eat, wish I kept it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2022 at 7:46pm
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Haha. Luckily I was fishing solo, otherwise I suspect the ribbing would have been quite severe!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2022 at 9:01pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Uncle Uncle wrote:

..get awaaaay with ya Shane, lol

Guilty, I want to know more.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CEEBEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 10:35pm
CEEBEE View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

And beaut smoked
I STARTED THE DAY WITH NO FISH AND I STILL HAVE PLENTY LEFT
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 9:22am
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I fished the last couple of hours in the harbour about half way to Omokoroa yesterday afternoon. While the fishing was slow I was pretty happy with the two snapper I got. One was 6 and the other 13.5 old fashioned pounds.Best I've had in the harbour.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 7:56pm
Gold
Gold

What bait were you using Coutta?

I assume you were straylining?
Drift or anchor?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 10:32am
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Gidday Mike. I was anchored up off the island past Matakana in the channel. Baits was second time thawed out mullet and had on a 6 oz sinker and a super long trace. Nothing too refined about my fishing. In the harbour I use 6500 size reels on 5-25 kg Ugly Stiks and 15 kg line. I like to get the fish in rather quick to beat the sharks.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 7:53pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good couple of fish there Coutta, particularly daytime harbour fishing in September. Is this the spring run of snapper Ive read guys on here talk about,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 8:00am
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Don't know Greg. More than likely a bloody fluke. There wasn't much else around. I think I only got one other bite and that was a small one that didn't even mess up the bait.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 9:16am
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Coutta Coutta wrote:

Gidday Mike. I was anchored up off the island past Matakana in the channel. Baits was second time thawed out mullet and had on a 6 oz sinker and a super long trace. Nothing too refined about my fishing. In the harbour I use 6500 size reels on 5-25 kg Ugly Stiks and 15 kg line. I like to get the fish in rather quick to beat the sharks.

Thanks Coutta. I've been doing ok for big kahawai and usually a trev for the last few outings. Caught an undersize kingie last Sunday too. Never lots of action, but usually enough for 2 night's dinner. That's all I ever want. One kahawai was so big and fat I thought it was a kingie. I've only ever had sharks taking trevs and kings. Do they take snapper too? Here's a trev that escaped a bronzies jaws.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 10:11am
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The mongrels will take anything Mike. I had one have a go at a snapper I was gently lifting out of the water without using a net. Bloody near crapped myself I can tell you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 12:34pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Coutta Coutta wrote:

The mongrels will take anything Mike. I had one have a go at a snapper I was gently lifting out of the water without using a net. Bloody near crapped myself I can tell you.

I'm not surprised! I saw one try to grab a kingie as it was being scooped with a landing net by 2 kids. That was pretty terrifying. The kingie pretty much jumped into the net!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mackjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 11:05am
mackjack View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Has anyone been out wide to Mayor recently?
Or does anyone know when the bait schools and kings will start coming to the surface out there?
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2022 at 7:58am
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Not hard to get a feed of snapper at the moment. Fished the first couple of hours of the incoming tide in the harbour yesterday afternoon. Limit from 32 - 40cm.
Page  <1 400401402403404 413>