tauranga fishing

Page  <1 398399400401402 413>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CEEBEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 7:42pm
CEEBEE View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

4th August
Decided at the last minute to go for a quick fish as I was supposed to go out yesterday but was unable to due to commitments I had forgotten about.
Launched at the Mount ramp at 10:30 and delivered my Trip Report to Tauranga Coastguard, then headed for the 5 mile. into a calm flat ocean.
Setup the Minnkota over a totally random spot that showed good fish near the bottom......could be snaps and maybe Teras.
Literally as soon as the oily barracouta baits touched the bottom it was all on.
Limit caught in just on one hour so pulled the pin and headed back.
Nothing big but all over 32cm.....Tera was a great size.
(Gave a couple of fish to a friend on the way home, thus the lesser fish number in pic.
High tide was at 11:00 am and major bite time was 15:18 - 17:18
02:57 - 04:57

I STARTED THE DAY WITH NO FISH AND I STILL HAVE PLENTY LEFT
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 9:28pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great sign on the sounder. Gotta love those silver and blacks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CEEBEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 1:43am
CEEBEE View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sure do but not many around at this time

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 10:03pm
Coastbusters View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

So, there were a million trailers at sulphur point on Sunday, but nobody has posted any results?
I caught zilch. I was just in the harbour, but not even a bite.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 6:57am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Did a solo trip across to the Knoll at Motiti first thing Sunday morning, first 6 baits resulted in hooking 6 school sharks, up anchor and moved to another spot, same thing again. Stuff that went chasing Terakihi, got 14 plus a lone snapper. Time to go out deep and try to get some puka, no puka but got 5 nice gemfish. So overall a great day out, first for a couple of months. Freezer full of vacuum packed fish again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kimber7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 7:28am
kimber7wsm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

A bit further north, but we spent the day looking for a Tuna.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tedc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2022 at 7:00pm
tedc View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah I'm a bit slack. Looked at Middle ground, Norms and The Quarry. Fish some sign at MG for lots of undersized snaps and 2 reasonable snaps on the strayline. Move to a Karewa terakihi reef for more small snaps. Home by lunch after travelling 27nm, but a beaut morning out there with a good mate
Simon's situation was grave so he used gravy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2022 at 10:05pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

After a month of no fishing finally got out fishing yesterday, launched at Bell rd ramp about 7.00. The car park was empty which made me wonder if there's something I didn't know, anyway no worries crossing Kaituna bar and being so quiet made the call to go straight to the knoll at Motiti.
No boats out there either and I had excellent snapper fishing in 4 to 8m using softbaits.
All fish kept were in the 40 to 60 cm range.
Today( Sunday) looked even better conditions.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CEEBEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2022 at 9:45pm
CEEBEE View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome catch, well done.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 8:02am
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Went up the outside of Matakana yesterday for the outgoing tide. Fished in about 65 feet with burley on the bottom.I got five all around the 38 - 40cm mark but it was hard fishing. Very soft takes and then long runs but dropping the bait as soon as some pressure was put on. In the end I tightened the drags and let the rod holders do the fishing. This worked better. Good day and a feed. ****, this retirement is a tough business.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote barafat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 10:17am
barafat View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yes the fish are in a bit closer this year it seems and the water temp is around 14 degrees.  I found the same about a week ago.  The fish are very tentative on the bite and i caught all on the floating line
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tedc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2022 at 8:14pm
tedc View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Interesting trip to middle ground today. Did a work trip with 3 boats, left Sulphur Point at 11.15am.

Lots of small snaps, we got 3 at about 45cm on the strayline.

Mate in another boat pulled a 64 &48cm on soft bait at anchor plus a 59cm on a strayline. Plus lots of undersized for the others on the boat.

Third boat got bigger all. We were all fishing within 100m radius.

Mainly novices on the boats except for the skippers. Still a great outing for all was had.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2022 at 8:29pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

giday Ted, was me who called out to you off the glass bridge by the Nautilus..
Was wondering how you feared..
I was out yesterday after tarakihi.
Fished around the 52 mtr mark & got a dozen.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tedc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2022 at 8:48pm
tedc View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey Bill
Sorry I didn't recognize you.

Good work on the Teras

Cheers

Ted
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 8:33pm
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Excellent fishing out from Bowentown today in 26mtrs. Limit bag or good size snapper with some Kahawai and gurnard as well.
Most caught on blue/pink slider, but they were keen on cut baits as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 8:09am
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Gidday Waihime, well done.  I now know I should have stuck to my original plan which was off Bowentown. Instead fished outside and inside Karewa. Bugger all current and ended up with four pannies, a couple of kahawai and a trev.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lizid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 8:24am
lizid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Waihime good work. Re the condition of the snaps - any sign of the soft white flesh? Got a few like that over Kaiaua ways a week ago.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DAZA 2+1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2022 at 11:02am
DAZA 2+1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Great fishing along Matakana yesterday, 6 good carrots and a doz pannies. Nice to see a few carrots around and in good condition. Snapper were also in good nick.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tedc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2022 at 1:17pm
tedc View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good one Daza, on the drift? What depth?
Be keen to snag a few carots
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2022 at 9:24pm
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by lizid lizid wrote:

Waihime good work. Re the condition of the snaps - any sign of the soft white flesh? Got a few like that over Kaiaua ways a week ago.

Hey Lizid, no white mushy flesh on any of them. In fact they were all in top condition with many fillets being that beautiful fatty condition where the knife blade feels like its got a layer of fat on after each fillet. Reading some FB posts sounds like there are a few of those mushy ones showing up in the Auckland area.
Couta - we had zero current as well.
Page  <1 398399400401402 413>